Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 04-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #16

I have been camping for the last 15-18 years. Started out when the kids were small using campers. Now they are grown and gone, so I started camping using the MC. I usually ride with 1-2 other riders. We will pick an area of the state or country and I will research the general area for campgrounds. We'll pick the campground and use it as a base camp. If my wife goes along I will pull a trailer loaded with the clothes and camping gear. If solo, I pack just the bike. One of my riding buddies has a GW and a small pop-up camper that he pulls. We have been doing this for the last 6 years. We have traveled thru several eastern states, covering NC, Va, Tn, WV, Pa. I enjoy camping using my MC, it's fun and inexpensive. We get to see this great country from the open air seat of a MC, not from the confines of a cager.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
I create my itinerary in an Excel spreadsheet

I get up when I want, stop when I want, eat when and where I want and go to bed when I want. I like touring and have only seen a small portion of our great country and I have a lot more to see.
I plan any trip that's more than one day on an Excel spreadsheet. Where to get gas, where to sleep, multiple routes, budget costs and approximate times. Planning a trip gets you fired up for it long before the kickstand goes up.

As far as packing goes, I always travel as light as possible. On the other hand my wife makes up for the packing room I save.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 04-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #18
Sr. Contributor

Just pack clothes in a duffel bag, tools in one pannier, rain gear and compressor in the other, laptop and other crap in the topcase and just make sure maintenance in up to date. I'd like to camp, but I am not sure my back would like it. If I did, I'd get one of these tents. I don't travel two up and that is just as well as I don't care for riding two up and to be honest, I am two up.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 04-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #19
Sr. Contributor

I rarely travel beyond 300 miles in any direction. I have slept in parked concrete trucks, in the bushes, state parks, (I like the KOAs that have a swimming pool) the last 6 years I have been staying in cabins. A bed is better for my back, and I'm much more rested for a long day of anything that pops up.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 04-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #20
Top Contributor

Well for one...it ain't riding if you ain't RIDING...!! I love traveling solo or two up with the wife....either way is fine with me as long as my Viking face is in the wind..... I tend to plan my routes/stops using a combination of Honda Ride Planner, Google Maps, Google Earth and my Garmin 550 GPS. I will do a virtual ride before the actual one, and amazingly, I can recognize landmarks along the way just from my virtual ride, the programs are that good. At my age, both my wife and I feel that roughing it means one-ply toilet paper....so nothing less than a motel room with a bed and hot shower will do. 350 to 500 miles per day tops, depending on routes. I pack a full load when I go, no going commando for three days, fresh clothes and underwear, rain gear, lap-top....and lastly, anyone who has ridden with me knows I pack a rolling wet bar for those relaxing evenings after dinner...tequila anyone...??!!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-12-2013, 05:42 AM   #21

I travel with whatever i can fit on the bike.....backpack of clothes, usually 2 to 3 days worth, xtra jacket if it's a cold time of year, thongs ( flipflops ) if warm weather and a good pair of "going out" boots in the left saddle. Right saddle has emergency bag, toiletries and whatever else i can fit if enough room left over. Rear rack bag has a change of riding clothes and wet weather gear, maps and water. Swag and small slimline tent are rolled up and bungied to the rear seat. Up front the windshield bag holds my phone and camera.
I have to agree with a lot of the members here that after a looong day of riding, you just can't beat a hot shower and a soft comfy bed at the end of the day.
p.s. ... and a scotch on the rocks :)

Old 04-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
I rarely travel beyond 300 miles in any direction. I have slept in parked concrete trucks, in the bushes, state parks, (I like the KOAs that have a swimming pool) the last 6 years I have been staying in cabins. A bed is better for my back, and I'm much more rested for a long day of anything that pops up.
Really??, was it turning when you climbed in?, talk about bedspins.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 04-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #23

The only electronic item I take is my iphone. I have music, maps, gps, camera, etc in one device. I have a charger on the bike so it stays charged and as far as after meals, I usually make a run to the local walmart or stop and rob, grab a 12 pack and a cardboard disposable cooler and throw a bag of ice in the saddle bag and I am good to go for the night. Those coolers are great and are just a few dollars.

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Old 04-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #24
Mega-Contributor

When I'm touring, I am on vacation. To me, vacation isn't sleeping on the side of the road or eating cold beanie weinies out of a can. I stay in decent motels which provide a complementary breakfast and usually eat a light lunch and a hearty dinner. I try to get 8-9 hours of sleep so I am properly rested for the next day's adventures. I carry my laptop and review the next day's itinerary and weather forecast after dinner. Like I said earlier, if you belong to groups like AAA, NRA, AARP, AMA and many others you can get discounted rooms. HOG has a deal with Best Western and they have some very nice properties and many of them cater to bikers.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #25

I drive my wife crazy sometimes with my "lets see where that road goes" style. She says one of these days, there will be banjo music and toothless hillbillies at the end of one of these roads, which describes about half of my relatives. I have to admit, my absolute favorite places to stay are Motels/Hotels. I like someone else cooking and cleaning up the mess, and someone else having to make the bed. One thing we do insist on is having our lysol with us when we check in. We would take the toy hauler before we would camp out, but now I'm back to doing the cleaning and cooking. At least there's AC and hot shower, and our own bed (lysol optional).

Old 04-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #26

Any trip on 2 wheels is great. Like most others here when I'm riding I'm happy. I ride alone but most longer trips are 2 up. I like staying in hotel/motels. I love riding anywhere from 300-400 miles a day w my woman, seeing knew places, then finding a good place to enjoy each other's company for the night. I avoid interstates as much as possible and prefer back roads. I ride just about daily but when I plan any kind of trip the anticipation is like a kid the night before Christmas. We only take what we can fit in the saddle bags and a pretty big piece of sissy bar luggage. Besides the national and Antlers this year we hope to spend some time exploring on a trip to Gatlingburg and another to Texas hill country
VBA #02113
Antlers, Oklahoma '12
Blairsville, Georgia '13
Antlers, Oklahoma '13
Eureka Springs, Arkansas '15

Last edited by manban9888; 04-13-2013 at 09:47 PM.