Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-01-2010, 07:07 AM   #1

Kuryakyn throttle lock..

I am wondering if any Nomad owners have put on the Kuryakyn Econo throttle lock along with the Kury Grips?? It says that it will fit 7/8 to 1" bars. My main concern is that either the resevoir/ mirror boss would have to be moved toward center, or the switch box/throttle grip toward the bar end, to allow space for the handlebar clamp to be mounted between the two. It seems like there is zero slack in the front brake switch wire to allow the space needed between these two units?? Hopefully, someone will tell me that there is just enough slack in the wire to allow the needed 1/2" or so gap. I have a 2000 Nomad 1500, but am thinking all the Nomads have the same set up. Anyone with any info can respond here, or drop me a personal message. THANKS...jim

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to dabull
Kuryakyn throttle lock..

i have the vista cruise throttle lock (same type)....i moved my mirror inboard about a 1/4 of an inch...cant imagine moving throttle grip south.....

Old 08-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Kuryakyn throttle lock..

agree, same setup and solution.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBull
i have the vista cruise throttle lock (same type)....i moved my mirror inboard about a 1/4 of an inch...cant imagine moving throttle grip south.....

Old 08-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #4

Kuryakyn throttle lock..

Thanks guys.. Do you have the Kury Grips with that Vista Cruise set up??

Old 08-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #5

Kuryakyn throttle lock..

I do have kury grips and vista cruise grips. no problems with operation of cruise or throttle.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Kuryakyn throttle lock..

Yes, I have that setup.....works great for what it is. A manual throttle lock. Once it was in place, I wondered why I waited so long to get one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantakaw59
Thanks guys.. Do you have the Kury Grips with that Vista Cruise set up??

Old 08-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #7

Kuryakyn throttle lock..

here's a pic of the Vista Cruise on. I "shaped" two of the little feet so that I could snug the mounts back up to the throttle once it was on.
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 08-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #8

Kuryakyn throttle lock..

I had the vista on my 02 Nomad with stock grips and it worked fine, but I rarely used it unless my hand got tired. With the 08 I decided to just bite the bullet an buy a brake-a-way and I'm so glad I did. I never worry about getting off the throttle during emergency braking and I can actually make small adjustments to my speed without unlocking it. it's way easier to unlock with the brake lever or the thumb release button as well. The thing is very well engineered.

You should really consider saving your pennies a little longer and getting the brake-a-way. I just put ISO grips and it works with them just fine. They have install instructions for ISO grips in the standard instructions.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Kuryakyn throttle lock..

This is a vista cruise set up my way. The throttle is locked in the pic, just so the lock tab will show up. I made it's mount in June 06 of plumbers tape, a metal tape with 2 different size holes. Pretty much it is like a side plate to a drive chain link, but smaller. I used an exisiting screw in the bottom of the grip holder.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #10

Kuryakyn throttle lock..

I love Mac's version. My biggest problem with the Vista Cruise is that plastic cross over piece, I find it gives too much, so like many others I only use it when I need to flex my hand or that shoulder (only had the shoulder crap on my last 800+ mile ride). It is a great addition.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Kuryakyn throttle lock..

I just did it for a cleaner look, but that metal tape doesn't budge. I got big paws too, so the reach isn't overly much, but if I had smaller mitts it could be a problem, but then I would just make a different bracket. I have it set to just hold, but can turn it at will.

It works well enough in my mountains I wouldn't want another kind. If I ran a real cruise I wouldn't be typin at all. A real cruise is for interstate riding, and I hardly ever do that type of riding.

From where I live going most any place isn't easy. I just found out Lake George is only 180 miles one way, but there is no getting there faster than 5 hours riding no matter what. No interstate or any other real highway goes theya' from heya'. Ayha

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #12

Kuryakyn throttle lock..

Thats the setup on my 01 1500 and it works fine, so you should'nt have any trouble.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:54 AM   #13

Kuryakyn throttle lock..

Thanks for all the input guys, once again you've come through for me. After 30 years of labor work my right arm and hand goes through fits of crampy pain and numbness on occasion after an hour or so of riding. I just put the Kury grips on last weekend before a 2 1/2 hour interstate ride to Chautauqua NY, and the throttle rocker helped TONS!! It allows me to relax the grip on the throttle at least, and change hand position a lot. The cruise will take it one step further and allow some much needed arm flexing once in a while. Nice customizing job Mac, and thanks for the pic Trosco...jim

Old 08-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Kuryakyn throttle lock..

Customizing? That little bit of a trick is fools work , anyone with a hardware store and a set of side cuttin' pliers can do in less time than to set the thing as factory. No holes to drill, no holes to thread no nuthin, the screw is in the hole on you bike right now. I did monkey with the screw that holds the lever a little.

The hardest part for me was bending on my knees, and looking up. My knees and neck ain't what they once was. Suddenly I feel very obamaish.OUCH

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac