Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Wanted

Old 06-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
Sr. Contributor

WTB cheap stock Nomad horn

My stock horn chit the bed today. I was trying to beep at a guy who's saddle bags were not closed and his stuff was blowing out.
Besides maybe tooting at a squirrel inspection is the only time I need any horn.

Maybe i will replace it with a light for the hard of hearing

No way am I tossing good dollars to a horn I won't ever use. CHEAP is the key word here.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #2

I sent you a PM.
Bob
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 06-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Pm replied too..... Thanks Bob

end of issue.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 06-14-2013, 06:47 AM   #4

did you get one, if not I have one

Old 06-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

yes i did... Bob is sending one for the cost of shipping, which i won't know till I have the horn.

I would spring for a better horn, but seriously Moose just don't give a damn. Last Sunday we took a ride up past where 'The Old man of the Mountains' used to be, and from there after seeing Lupine flowers (alpine plants) We went to the Weirs. That must be 45 miles on the interstate and that whole way 1 car followed me and the only other car i saw was state police parked in the medium.

On a rare occasion I toot the horn at a bird or a squirrel. Mainly it is for getting a sticker.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Mac, did you try to adjust the horn?? Mine did the same a year or so ago and I used the little screw on the back and got it working again. I'm with you....never use the damn thing but need it to pass the the State boys little inspection show here in NC.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 06-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #7

my thought is, if you have to blow your horn in most cases its too late, loud pipes work better

Old 06-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Mac, did you try to adjust the horn?? Mine did the same a year or so ago and I used the little screw on the back and got it working again. I'm with you....never use the damn thing but need it to pass the the State boys little inspection show here in NC.
yeah I fiddled with the screw and tapped the screwdriver handle on the unit, which has worked in the past on other horns.

I carry a ice pock test light and checked the fuse first with out pulling it. had power on both sides. Went to the horn and peeled back the rubber insulators on the spades and with the light hooked up had power pressing the button..

Dead horn.. I can't see how to pry the bloody SOB apart to just save the case...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 06-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman View Post
my thought is, if you have to blow your horn in most cases its too late, loud pipes work better
For me i mostly agree but am not very fond of very loud pipes, and i run V&H baggers with baffels, but probably no more glass..

There is this little problem in NH you no longer have in Fla. Once you had the same problem and i know you dod but i know you don't now.

It's called state inspection where the state sticks it's nose into a citizens private bee's wax. And so for that I need a horn.

I can yell louder than these anemic toy horns can sound off.

I try to rode as quiet as I can since most single rides are not less than 180 miles. pretty much if i turn the key I go no less than that as a minimum.

Being this is Laconia Bike week my nomad is silent compared to the sounds coming off these fire breathing bar hopin' dragons.

If my Nomad made that kinda noise I;ld need a drink each 5,200 feet too

It's been awhile now i rode Nomad as I has a 01 and have a 06.. I wish I wish upon a star the camshafts will come out and a bog throttle body too!

I am a little sick of these economy cams.... I don't want totally radical as i have no wish to twist the bevel gear out of the case, but a little more power should be too much to ask...... should it?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 06-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #10

Mac, I wanted a little more power (torque) out of my Nomad for when I'm towing my trailer. I installed an ECU out of a 1600 Meanie. It immediately gave me a noticeable increase in power, and about 600 more RPMs at idle (idled around 1500 RPMs). It was great until you reached ~3000 RPMs and then it wouldn't go any higher. Couldn't do anything with the TFI to correct. I called Dobeck Performance, and the tech was very helpful. He explained that I was trying to adjust something that wasn't there and suggested that I go with the Meanie injectors. The injectors are not interchangeable, so I ended up changing the throttle body/intake manifold assembly and I'm VERY pleased with the power increase. The power increase is about the same as when I did the pipes/intake/& TFI. I do have a set of '04 Meanie 1500 heads and cams waiting to go on when I get the time. The 1600 Meanie cams are the same as the 1600 Nomad cams, but the 1500 cams have more lift. The heads are the same in both Meanies.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 06-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

That is interesting. Which cams will you go with? Does the meanie have bigger valves too?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 06-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #12

Mac: If you still need a horn, shoot me your address, and I'll send you my stock one - no charge.

It's the least I can do for all the great info I've gotten from reading your posts here...
VBA#1825 | VROC#35779

2007 Vulcan Nomad 1600 - The Black Pearl
2001 Vulcan Classic 1500 - R.I.P.

Quadzilla Fairing | HD Tour-Pak | WompusRack | V&H Baggers | PhatRiser II | JTD Lowers | Chuckster Ultimate Baffles & Single Plate Intake with K&N Filter | Dobeck TFI | Kuryakyn ISO Grips, Pegs, and Covers | Mustang Seats | Stebel Nautilus & Wolo Bad Boy Horns | Smoke Signal Lenses | F&S Lightbar | Shinko White Walls | TireGard Pressure Monitor | RAM mount | JVC/Soundstream/Polk Audio @520 watts

Old 06-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman View Post
Yeah, loud pipes work great for giving the guy riding behind you a freakin headache, pissing off the general public , helping legislators and town boards to pass noise ordinances and banning motorcycles from certain streets.
Maybe instead of relying on loud pipes to save your ass you should practice and learn how to ride a bike safely.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 06-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Yeah, loud pipes work great for giving the guy riding behind you a freakin headache, pissing off the general public , helping legislators and town boards to pass noise ordinances and banning motorcycles from certain streets.
Maybe instead of relying on loud pipes to save your ass you should practice and learn how to ride a bike safely.

Saw that one coming a mile away yes I did.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 06-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
That is interesting. Which cams will you go with? Does the meanie have bigger valves too?
I have a set of 1500 cams, and the matching heads off a '04 1500 Meanie with 4700 miles on them. The 1500 cams do have more lift than the 1600 cams, so it will lope . The 1600s and 1500s (Meanies) do use the same heads, and the intake and exhaust valves are bigger than the Nomad's or Classic's. It may be this winter, or even next, before I get around to changing them out, but I'm looking forward to it.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381