Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Kill switch gets me again

I feel like I should change my name to Wiley Coyote.

Last weekend I lubed my throttle cables, and as I was re-assembling the right-side of my handlebar, I remember pinching the small electric wire. I didn't think I did any damage.

Monday morning, dark and cold, I lumbered into my chaps and various layers -- not really wanting to drive down into DC. I had buttoned up everything, had the garage door up and began backing the bike out into the driveway. This is when I usually fire it up. By the time, I close the garage door and put on my mittens, the bike is warm enough for the ride through town--except when it doesn't start. And it didn't.

I pushed the bike back into the garage so I had some light. I noticed immediately that I had forgotten to re-plug that little wire. Whew! With a smugness, I pushed the starter again -- and got zip.

Quick decision time. With the motorcycle, I can ride in the HOV lane for about 20 miles (big difference). I was meeting with a client, so being late was not an option. I parked the bike, stripped my bike clothes, jumped in the car and took off down the road grumbling.

Maybe I had pinched that thin wire more than I thought I did. I thought it was the brake light switch, but that shouldn't prevent the bike from starting.

I got to work at home the rest of the week, but couldn't break free to disassemble and fix the wire--until today. When I looked inside, the wire was in good shape.

Then, it dawned on me--like it has several times in the past. I don't use the kill switch, so every once in a while it accidently gets pressed -- like when you're monkeying around with throttle cables -- it's not first on my list of things to check.

Well, that's not true. RIght now it is, but in a year or so, when something else presses the switch, it won't be.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-20-2010, 05:08 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to wompus

A lot of riders use the kill switch to stop the bike from running.
Me, I use it for what it was meant to be used for... EMERGENCY'S!

Mike "WOMPUS' Nieznany
1999 Nomad "Fronkensteen"
Viet Nam Vet 68-69-70
KawaNOW #00577
I'm sarcastic and have a smart ass attitude. It's a natural defense against DRAMA, BULLSHIT & STUPIDITY!!

Old 11-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #3

I'm sure your not alone there.
When my Nomad was new I decided to let the dealer do the first oil change and inspection. I got the bike back and left the dealer only to realize that they had a cardboard service tag tied to the right side mirror and it was now flapping in the wind. Stopped at a red light in the middle lane of a busy 3 lane overpass, I decided to undo the tag. I must of just touched the kill switch with out realizing and the bike died as I played with the tag and would not restart. I did a lot of cursing to my self about them getting the d*m bike back and fixing it right as I wondered how I was going to change lanes, get the bike off the overpass and to some place that I could park with out blocking traffic or being run over. Just before the light turned green, I noticed the kill switch, flicked it the right way, started the bike and was able to drive off with the flow off traffic. I don't know which emotion was stronger, the relief of getting the bike going, or feeling like a complete dumb a*s.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 11-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

I know what it's like to "blame the other guy",......for me, I use to have "the kids" to blame. "Where did that son of mine put my screwdriver"......, or "where did that kid put my" so and so......you know what I mean ! Now I have to just blame me. I hear "you idiot" in my head more often now than I care to. Because it's me every time. This kill switch would be the first place I'd look NOW if I had this problem. So far though I don't have an issue with the kill switch though.
Boy!! I miss my kids !!!

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 11-20-2010, 06:36 PM   #5

Ride with a friend who always uses the kill switch to stop. Leaves his key turned on so his headlight on his 04 Nomad is always on. I keep telling him someday he will kill his battery if it gets weak.

He has had problems with it a couple of times, contacts are not clean and after he kills the bike he can't get it to reset so he can start it. Thought after the first time it happened he might change his procedures, but nope.

Oh well. His bike, his problem.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-20-2010, 11:12 PM   #6

Hey Bob!!

I feel your pain. I had what can only be described as a kill switch "epic" in 1974 that I'm still too embarrassed to talk about!! It was my first machine with this new fangled gadget. I would park it and people would stand around and admire this brand new Harley Electra-Glide and someone would naturally turn the kill switch to off since the bike was "off". Then our hero (me) would show up and try to start it and you get the picture.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

I never use the kill switch. I parked at a grocery store one day and a kid and his mom were outside where I parked the bike. When I came out about five minutes later they were still there. I hopped on the bike and hit the starter, nothing. I immediately noticed the kill switch and switched it to the operating position. I told the kid not to ever mess with anyone's bike. He said I didn't do anything. I knew it had to be him but he denied it. I could actually live without the kill switch. If I ever got in a situation and needed to kill the engine I wouldn't think of the kill switch.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 11-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #8

I rarely ever use the kill switch, but it has stumped me before after someone else switched it for me. Now its the first thing I check if it doesn't fire up right away. Im like Mike in using it for emergency's only.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 11-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #9

Has anyone read the Nomad manual to see if, in fact, using the kill-switch is the recommended way to turn the bike off?

The reason I am asking is that there are some bikes that states in their manual that you SHOULD use the kill-switch rather than turning the key-switch off first.

I happen to know some owners of these bikes that do not know the manual says that.

Just wondering if anyone can verify that or not for the Nomad...????

Thanks. ;)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 11-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #10

It's a very rare occasion that I use the kill switch. I always us the kickstand switch to shut down. So far it's prevented an embarrassing drop.

One time when trapped behind slow traffic on a long grade up a mountain pass I was the last in line and turned on my 4-way flashers. But the bike died. It was a WTF moment. You guessed it. I hit the kill switch instead of the 4-way flasher button.

I actually rolled off onto the shoulder and stopped before I sorted it out. I little LED on the kill switch button that would light when in the off position would be helpful at times.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 11-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin City Stan
It's a very rare occasion that I use the kill switch. I always us the kickstand switch to shut down. So far it's prevented an embarrassing drop.

One time when trapped behind slow traffic on a long grade up a mountain pass I was the last in line and turned on my 4-way flashers. But the bike died. It was a WTF moment. You guessed it. I hit the kill switch instead of the 4-way flasher button.

I actually rolled off onto the shoulder and stopped before I sorted it out. I little LED on the kill switch button that would light when in the off position would be helpful at times.
I try not to use the kick stand as a shut off point. I've left the ignition in the on position when I've done this. Someone will say "hey Rick, you leave your lights on???"

but I like that light idea for the kill switch. To have the light come on if the switch is being used. I might just look into that once I'm on my feet again. A small LED installed in the switch would be a good idea.
Thanks

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 11-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #12

Off thread....hey Bob I see your turn signals blinking in your sig pic...that's cute.

On thread...have never seen this done but heard of guys riding down the road and reaching over and hitting friends kill switch....sounds pretty stupid to me could cause an accident.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 11-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwind2
Off thread....hey Bob I see your turn signals blinking in your sig pic...that's cute.
A couple weeks ago, someone was asking about emergency flashers. I purchased a "wig wag" setup and, at that time, had wished I could have posted a picture to show how mine flash. The other day, I had some extra time to mess around with Photoshop and ... voila!

I'd prefer "ruggedly handsome"-- but I guess I'll have to take "cute."

Old 11-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to wompus

On thread...have never seen this done but heard of guys riding down the road and reaching over and hitting friends kill switch....sounds pretty stupid to me could cause an accident.[/quote]

Dang, what memories that brought back to me!
Back in the 70's I had a friend who had a 39 Harley chopper and we rode together all the time.
When riding together I had this thing about waiting until he looked to the side and I'd reach over and bull a plug wire.
He'd try his best to put it back on, but at 50 mph all he did was scream!!
We'd have to pull over, shut down and replace the plug wire... then it would take 10-15 kicks to start that piece of crap.
I'd just reach over, hit the starter button and ride of! ;)
He finally got a newer model years later....

Mike "WOMPUS' Nieznany
1999 Nomad "Fronkensteen"
Viet Nam Vet 68-69-70
KawaNOW #00577
I'm sarcastic and have a smart ass attitude. It's a natural defense against DRAMA, BULLSHIT & STUPIDITY!!

Old 11-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #15

:-/ Hmmm.. I must be one of the odd-balls. When I took the MSF back in WA state three years ago, they taught use of the kill switch, thus, that's how I always shut the bike down.

I also sometimes forget my key is on too - that's gonna bite me in the ass one day.

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT