Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-01-2010, 12:10 AM   #1

Trailer wiring info needed

I am very mechanical inclined, but I admittedly have a mental block when it comes to electrical. (although I struggle through and scratch my head a lot), Yeah, I'm pulling a trailer this year and need to get working on the electrical. Anybody have any web links to motorcycle trailer wiring? The trailer is currently set-up with a 5-pin connector. (I've already tapped into my rear light wire for the TFI). Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-01-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by delivery58
I am very mechanical inclined, but I admittedly have a mental block when it comes to electrical. (although I struggle through and scratch my head a lot), Yeah, I'm pulling a trailer this year and need to get working on the electrical. Anybody have any web links to motorcycle trailer wiring? The trailer is currently set-up with a 5-pin connector. (I've already tapped into my rear light wire for the TFI). Thanks.
Well most people have a 4-pin trailer and there are 5 wires coming from the bike, so they require a 5 pin - 4 pin adapter. That's not how it is in your case. However, one advantage to that setup is you can get an adapter that isolates the bike electricals from the trailer, so a short in the trailer wiring won't blow the fuse on the bike and you wouldn't lose your brake lights or tail lights on the bike.

I don't know if anyone makes a 5-pin isolator, because I've always dealt with 5-4 conversions. Someone else may be able to answer that.

First, you need to determine how the trailer is wired. I'm assuming it has ground, left turn, right turn, tail, and brake lights. Trace the wiring and figure out which pin is for which function.

If you can tell me what the 5th wire is used for, I can better tell you how to wire the rest.

Here's a link to a trailer wiring PDF file that details the color codes. You may find it useful.
http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.co...ring_codes.pdf
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-01-2010, 07:37 AM   #3

Are you using a Hoppy converter on your bike? If not, you should install one. It makes it easy and it's powered separately from the battery to protect the bike. I use a 4 pin round plug on mine. This site shows where the wires go on the Hoppy converter:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...47362070QZgLzN

Here's a good site that shows clear pictures of the different plugs and how to wire them:
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #4

I highly recommend using a converter.It takes the load off your bike wiring and it is faily easy to wire up.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Guys, most converters are for a 5 wire vehicle to a 4 wire trailer. He would need to rewire the trailer to 4 wires in order to use one. Depending on what the 5th wire is used for, which is why I asked him to trace it and let us know what it is.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #6

Might be easier to re-wire the trailer plug to a 4 pin plug (clip one wire). What else could a 5th wire be for except a brake controller, backup lights or an accessory power wire?
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group

Old 02-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Guys, most converters are for a 5 wire vehicle to a 4 wire trailer. He would need to rewire the trailer to 4 wires in order to use one. Depending on what the 5th wire is used for, which is why I asked him to trace it and let us know what it is.
Crap I can't remember but there is a 5 in -5 out Hoppy. i almost bought one by mistake. I think the 5th wire gives you the ability to wire power into the trailer for things like power outlets and charging stations. Double check their site though.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Crap I can't remember but there is a 5 in -5 out Hoppy. i almost bought one by mistake. I think the 5th wire gives you the ability to wire power into the trailer for things like power outlets and charging stations. Double check their site though.
I checked Hoppy's website and didn't see one like that. doesn't mean there isn't one, only that I couldn't find it.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 02-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #9

I enlarged the picture and I see why the trailer has a 5 pin connector. It has separate turn signals, so you do not need a converter, just a 5 pin connector on the bike. I have done this on snowmobile trailers in the past to avoid buying a converter. At one time around here they wanted $50 or more for one and $10 for a couple of amber lights.
I guess you bought this trailer second hand?

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 02-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #10

CNC, your right. Enlarge the picture and it all becomes clear. There are 6 total "mini" lights on the back. 2 red on the outside, 2 amber for turn signals and 2 more red in the center. The plug to the motorcycle is a 5 pin (small chrome unit), it runs about 2ft down the tongue and one of the wires "dumps-off" directly to ground. The 4 remaining wires continue for about 1ft and are then spliced into a 4-pin flat connector (White, Brown, Yellow, Green)... these 4 wires go back to the lights ( 1 left signal, 1 right signal), and the remaining 2 wires appear to tie into the 4 red "mini" lights. Seems like this should work just fine. Do I still need a converter or I could just tie into my existing Brake, and Signal lights. This is a used trailer , pulled behind a Goldwing.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:09 AM   #11

I'm using a 5 pin round connector for my trailer, as I have separate L/R turn lights and then the run/brake lights and last the ground.
If you just use a 4 style plug (trailer side) you will need a Hoppy converter on the bike, because the turn lights are in with the brake lights on the trailer. ( not separate)
2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Old 02-02-2010, 06:57 AM   #12

I use the hoppy converter with a four pin round plug and have two separate (LED) signal lights. I have 4 other brake lights and the two outside ones of those will also work with the signals. I had it hooked up originally withou the coverter but found that many lights would blow the fuse on the factory circuit. After the Hoppy no more problems.
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group

Old 02-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #13

My trailer came with the lights set up for a 5 pin.I rewired it to clean up the wiring and reduce the amount of lights the PO had on it.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #14

I suspect that the previous owner had the vehicle side connector wired directly to his run, turn and brake light wiring on the bike.
You can do this and it may be fine. It all depends on the amount of draw each trailer light is adding to each circuit it is connected to on the bike. Just looking in the picture at the style of light, I would say they look like side marker truck lights or similar and would have smaller bulbs drawing less than say a standard brake tail or turn light with an 1156 or 1157 bulb ( about 2 amps a piece I think for these). If you start blowing fuses then another solution is needed.
A converter allows a vehicle with separate turn signals (amber in the rear) to operate trailer lights with a combined brake, turn signal light. In your case you do not need this as there is nothing to covert.
Some converters are powered. They take the power to run the trailer lights direct from the battery, but use the incoming power from the vehicle light circuits as a trigger like a relay for each circuit.
The ideal solution, would be if your able to find a 5 pole connector that is powered only and not a converter. I'm not sure if they exist. Maybe some one else knows on here, or you could talk to a place that specializes in installing hitches and trailer wiring on cars.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 02-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #15

Thanks all for the input.. I think I'm on the right track. I'm going to try direct wiring, since it is true that these "mini" lights (hardly DOT approved) will only draw a small amp. P.S. anybody have an extra ECM handy just incase.........