Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-21-2009, 03:13 AM   #1
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Changing Gear Oil

After reading about the gear oil leak in one of the previous threads, got me to thinking, and that could be dangerous. The owners manual says to have the bike vertical when you put new gear oil in the bike. Lots of guys say this will allow to much oil to be put in the bike thus causing the seals to start leaking. I have changed mine twice and followed the owners manual instruction. Therefore, I have probably put to much gear oil in mine. No leaks so far, if I have no leaks will I be ok? I plan on putting mine on the 2 X 4 like Mac suggested and drain it down today. Do you think any damage has been done to my seals?

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-21-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Changing Gear Oil

Hard to say. You might have oil in the driveshaft tube (swingarm) and you wont know it if it is only a little like mine was. No leaks were evident on the floor. I would drive it until you see a leak or are adding oil to the final drive. Alternatively if it is due you can do the driveline service and remove the swing arm and take a look.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:03 AM   #3

Changing Gear Oil

If it does start to leak, you will see it drip near the kickstand area, from the rubber driveshaft boot. I think if you drain it down a bit, youll be ok.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney
Changing Gear Oil

I just did this yesterday in advance of my 2k+ road trip. It is easy to do, but a bit of a pain since to do this I need to take my muffler off, otherwise it is easy. Than the wife and I road about 120 miles and all is well, though the ride back was interesting as there was thunder and lightning and tornado warnings all around. When we headed to the dinner they were having at the range it was hot and sunny, but by the grace of God himself we made it back with only some sprinkles the last 10 miles.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Changing Gear Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhomoney
I just did this yesterday in advance of my 2k+ road trip. It is easy to do, but a bit of a pain since to do this I need to take my muffler off, otherwise it is easy. Than the wife and I road about 120 miles and all is well, though the ride back was interesting as there was thunder and lightning and tornado warnings all around. When we headed to the dinner they were having at the range it was hot and sunny, but by the grace of God himself we made it back with only some sprinkles the last 10 miles.
You need to take your muffler off? Do you not have stock pipes? I can service my final drive with the muffler on, I just remove the saddlebag.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-21-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
Top Contributor

Changing Gear Oil

+1

Old 07-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #7

Changing Gear Oil

+1....take the muffler off? Even with aftermarket exhaust system, and by looking at the picture of your bike, I see no reason to take the muffler off. I too only take my left saddle bag off, and that is more than enough to service the final drive gear oil.

As for how much oil, I turn my handle bars all the way to the right, this props the bike up about 1 - 1.5 inches more, nearly the same as a 2x4 give or take 1/8 of an inch. I fill it like this, and have no problems.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Changing Gear Oil

The reason some can fill their bikes on the level and not leak could be because they are using non-synthetic gear oil? This would tend to "swell" the oil ring enough so that it stays tight. Running non-synthetic lube and then switching to synthetic later and filling the gear case with the bike level is asking for a leaking seal!

I use synthetic and use a 2X4.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 07-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #9

Changing Gear Oil

Brad, The dealer did not put synthetic gear oil after changing my seal. They said they would but I would have to pay for the difference in price, whatever miniscule amount that would be. They filled it with the bike vertical and as I said in the previous thread, I will leave the level there until I perform the next change in 7 or 8 thousand miles. I will go back to synthetic and fill it on the 2x4. The first time my gearcase had synthetic was at the 4,000 mile change. It didn't start leaking until I got to 15,000 miles. I wasn't aware that synthetic oil would swell the seal. Thanks for that info.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 07-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Changing Gear Oil

I don't take my muffler off and I run V&H pipes.

I get my wife to sit on the pillon seat and that drops the rear end enough to get the bottom bolt out and or back in...

Either set the side stand on the flat side iof a 2x4 and drain some oil or set it down as you park and drain some right NOW! Let it drain all it wants..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Changing Gear Oil

Thanks guys for the help. For the first 2400 miles I used Kawasaki rear oil 80W-90. Both times I changed it I had the bike level. I guess since it wasn't synthetic is the reason I don't seem to have any problem. At the 2400 miles I changed my oil and rear oil and this time went with Super Tech synthetic. I only put about 100 miles on the synthetic. Today I drained it down using the 2 X 4 under the side stand. I will keep you posted. Hope I don't see any leaks.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 07-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Changing Gear Oil

With my V&H Baggers, I have to release my muffler and drop it an inch or so, just like I expect Dave has to. He probably doesn't mean he takes it clear off; just loosens and drops it.

I don't think I would ever quibble with Mac on this, but it seems I read on Gadget's site to just leave the bike on its kickstand when you fill the gear case, and that gives you the right amount. What do you think, Mac?

Old 07-21-2009, 10:15 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Changing Gear Oil

I changed mine out today. Actually I was just going to remove some and my mind wasn't with me. I loosened and took out the drain bolt rather than the fill hole cover. By the time I realized what I had done I had taken out 5 oz. So I just went ahead and drained the remainder and then filled it again with the bike resting on a 2 X 4 per Mac's instructions. I think that should be about the right amount. You are only putting in 6 oz and with the bike just on the side stand I would be afraid it wouldn't have enough. I don't want to have to much but then again I don't want to have too little. Either way could be dangerous. I think the 2 X 4 method should work just about right.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 07-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Changing Gear Oil

Its almost impossible to have too little as long as you have enough to cover the gears. You'll be fine with the 2x4 method!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 07-21-2009, 11:40 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Changing Gear Oil

Thanks guys for the help. Brad and Mac you guys seem to have a vast knowledge. Thanks for shring it with us novices.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181