Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-27-2011, 10:34 PM   #1

Riding positions... Nomad and Drifter...

Any Nomad owners here ever sit on a Drifter 1500 with a solo seat?

Been looking for a new "used" Nomad, [most likely early 2000's], so I visited a local dealer to try the Nomad on for size. After reading all the reviews, I was a bit surprised to find it a little cramped for my tastes. In fact, I tried *all* the latest metric cruisers and a couple Harleys on for size and surprisingly only the Vacquero felt *alright*, but certainly not ideal. Then on the way home, I happened across a Drifter with a solo seat on a used bike lot, and like Goldilocks, it was just right.

Considering both the Drifter and early Nomads share much of the same platform, I was curious if the earlier Nomads had a similar riding position to the Drifter or if the two are completely different. I know the 2011 Nomad has a shorter wheelbase so I'm hoping maybe that changed the riding position. If not, I may have change up my plans and go with a Drifter instead.

Thanks for the input.

DocV

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-27-2011, 10:49 PM   #2

Doc.....The difference between the newer Nomads (2009-2011) and the earlier (2008 and earlier) models is NIGHT and DAY. Earlier models are much more "spread out" and roomier for taller riders. I am 6'2" and have a nice relaxed position on my 2003.

Make sure you sit on the "generation" bike you are targeting it is the best way to get the feel for it.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 04-27-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Duffy had a 1500 Drifter that I sat on. While the motors are similar, the frame and suspension are totally different, but not at all uncomfortable. If it fits you well, has been well cared for, meets your needs and fits your price range.....what's stopping you from purchasing the thing and high-fiving your way home...??
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 04-28-2011, 12:23 AM   #4

It looks like I need to sit on an early Nomad, ideally one with an aftermarket seat. Hopefully a local one will pop up soon.

As for the Drifter, it was at a shop and salvage yard and had a seized motor, not to mention had been left out in the elements for 5 years. More trouble than it's worth. But at least now I know the drifter is a bike that fits me.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by docv
Any Nomad owners here ever sit on a Drifter 1500 with a solo seat?

Been looking for a new "used" Nomad, [most likely early 2000's], so I visited a local dealer to try the Nomad on for size. After reading all the reviews, I was a bit surprised to find it a little cramped for my tastes. In fact, I tried *all* the latest metric cruisers and a couple Harleys on for size and surprisingly only the Vacquero felt *alright*, but certainly not ideal. Then on the way home, I happened across a Drifter with a solo seat on a used bike lot, and like Goldilocks, it was just right.

Considering both the Drifter and early Nomads share much of the same platform, I was curious if the earlier Nomads had a similar riding position to the Drifter or if the two are completely different. I know the 2011 Nomad has a shorter wheelbase so I'm hoping maybe that changed the riding position. If not, I may have change up my plans and go with a Drifter instead.

Thanks for the input.

DocV
Doc,

I have both. A 2000 Nomad, two-up Corbin seat. And a 99 Drifter,solo Corbin seat.

The Nomad is all day comfortable,in terms of forward / back/ up-down & all including support.

The solo Corbin on my Drifter, seems / is *longer* allowing more fore / aft movement, [which I like] but the seat itself is not very comfortable for long periods.

Don't know why the difference? but it's there.

BTW I'm 60 6'1" 270

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #6

The rearward movement is the issue I have. All the cruisers have the bucket-like slope-up in the back which prevents me from getting back as far as I need to. They also seem to sit higher up than the Drifter. I'm 6'0" with odd body proportions. My inseam is only 28" which means I have a long torso. lower in the back and stretched out up top works best for me. Ironically, a stretched out chopper would likely fit me best but that's not my style. I like "old school classic" which is why both the Nomad and Drifter appeal to me. Originally the Nomad won out because it's set up for long hauls. However, I suppose a Drifter could be outfitted for long hauls too. The biggest difference would be the bags but many have managed without the Nomads bags, so I suppose I could make it work if I had to.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by docv
The rearward movement is the issue I have. All the cruisers have the bucket-like slope-up in the back which prevents me from getting back as far as I need to. They also seem to sit higher up than the Drifter. I'm 6'0" with odd body proportions. My inseam is only 28" which means I have a long torso. lower in the back and stretched out up top works best for me. Ironically, a stretched out chopper would likely fit me best but that's not my style. I like "old school classic" which is why both the Nomad and Drifter appeal to me. Originally the Nomad won out because it's set up for long hauls. However, I suppose a Drifter could be outfitted for long hauls too. The biggest difference would be the bags but many have managed without the Nomads bags, so I suppose I could make it work if I had to.
If I'm reading you correctly it sounds like a Nomad, & a custom, [flatter] seat might be your best bet. If the *dip* in the seat is the issue,I'll bet a custom seat maker can satisfy your needs.
Ron

Old 04-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #8

The Nomad ('07) is the only bike that fit perfect, even with the stock seat. I have had a Road King and tried the new ('09+) bikes but the 05-08 gave me the best ride. I am 6'3" with 34 inseam and can ride the '07 all day in comfort, everything else was a little cramped. I did have the Road King seat built up about two inches and that helped but the boards were just a little too far back.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #9

The 1500 & 1600 Nomads are among the most roomy bikes available. Thats why almost all of us have to install risers on them.
Perhaps the bike you sat on had a large set of risers that made it feel small for you.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
Advanced Member

I have a 1999 800 Drifter and a 2006 1600 Nomad - and a friend has a 1999 1500 Drifter. i have ridden all of them and IMHO the Drifters are both very close in seating - you sit more upright on the Drifters and the 1600 is more slouched back. I have ridden the Drifter 800 km's straight and I believe the 1600 is more comfy on the long haul.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims
The Nomad ('07) is the only bike that fit perfect, even with the stock seat. I have had a Road King and tried the new ('09+) bikes but the 05-08 gave me the best ride. I am 6'3" with 34 inseam and can ride the '07 all day in comfort, everything else was a little cramped. I did have the Road King seat built up about two inches and that helped but the boards were just a little too far back.
I'm with you, I'm 6'5" 36" inseam and my 2008 Nomad is great.
I sat on a 2009 and 2010 Nomad no way I could ride one for very long, way too cramped.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 05-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #12

I am about 5'9"" and felt like a youngin' on Daddy's motorcycle when I got my '01 Nomad. The floor boards were just right for being under 6' but I had to lean forward or at least sit very straight up to reach the bars and the crash bars were "way out there". Putting my belt against the back of the seat only happened sitting in the parking lot on the kick stand. 1" up and 2" back risers, adjustable pull back Hwy pegs, and a riders back rest adjusted the fit just right. I still do not reach the back of the seat, have a lot of left over space, and probably look like a yougin' on Daddy's motorcycle. But, going down the rode it is not only very comfortable, but it feels like "I look good on this motorcycle". Ya might roam around and sit on different years and models before you decide. What worked for me was seeing a bike in a parking lot with the rider, walking up and explaining my shopping technique, and asking to sit on the bike. I found most riders willing and after they figured out I was too small and too old to take their bike away from them, most spent a lot of time telling me the + & - of their bikes. Just a thought to consider.
Thanks for your time

Old 05-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #13

I had a 2005 Nomad and it is definitely stretched out. I had to put risers on it and a Gel pad in the seat before I was comfortable.

The 2009 & newer Nomads are in deed a different animal and mine fits me perfectly! The frame is shorter and the trail and rake are modified which puts me in touch with the bars exactly where I'm comfortable and the saddle is a wonder, no modifications here. The difference in power however, is phenomenal; the 1700 has much more power throughout the gears and the sixth gear and electronic cruise are priceless.

If you buy a 1700 put the Kawi GelSeat on it and it'll raise you up a full inch. I bought one just to try it out even though my stock seat was darn near perfect and I rode it about 100 or so miles before taking it off and putting it back in the box. It was very comfortable but with a 30" inseam it put me on my toes and I don't like that at all. ;)

Old 05-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #14

I'm 6' 2" with a 32 inch inseam and ride a 99 nomad that feels like it fits but have had a urge to put a set of risers on it to see what they would feel like. My buddy has a 06 Classic that I have rode that just doesn't feel right. Can't explain it but I felt like I was fighting it every time I got on it. I do however like the bigger tank capacity of the 06 over the 99. I have not sat a 1700 so my question is did they go back to the ergos of the older 1500's? I need to find a 1700 to sit and see how it feels.

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Old 05-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by minst7877
I'm 6' 2" with a 32 inch inseam and ride a 99 nomad that feels like it fits but have had a urge to put a set of risers on it to see what they would feel like. My buddy has a 06 Classic that I have rode that just doesn't feel right. Can't explain it but I felt like I was fighting it every time I got on it. I do however like the bigger tank capacity of the 06 over the 99. I have not sat a 1700 so my question is did they go back to the ergos of the older 1500's? I need to find a 1700 to sit and see how it feels.

DC
> have had a urge to put a set of risers on it to see what they would feel like. <

I'm an inch shorter than you, put a set of 4x2s on my 00 Nomad & my Drifter. It relieved a lot of shoulder pain.

>Can't explain it but I felt like I was fighting it every time I got on it.<

The Classic, like the Drifter, has a narrower front tire, & compared to the Nomad, feels 'twitchy'. But ya get used to it quickly. Maybe that is what you're feeling?

Ron