Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-05-2008, 05:59 AM   #31
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
TFI Settings for 1500/1600 Nomad

OK ....Thanks. I guess I'll get everything ready to do this in the early spring, when I have insurance and I can get the bike out to check the settings. The weather has turned wet and will probably stay this way for the most part, till about May. I'm after better gas mileage....I run prem. fuel and it doesn't ping and for the small diff. in $$ per tank I'll keep running the high test.....90+ oct.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-05-2008, 09:42 AM   #32
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Rickyboy:

The FI injection on our Nomad is a closed loop system that is very primitive IMO. There are no oxygen sensors to determine if timing and/or fuel delivery should be modified by the ECM. This makes some Nomads ping and others not ping. It depends on where you live geographically that will determine how your bike runs.

Darn near everyone that lives in the southwest has a pinging issue, especially in the warm weather.

My settings on my TFI are considered very "rich" to some for that reason; 3-6-1-9. I run regular now. Asking someone what their pot settings are when you live more than a few hundred miles away from them and/or they have mods that you don't have is really asking for confusion. You tune your TFI for your area. If you use someone else's setting as pointed out above it will most likely be wrong.

I took a lot of time slowly adjusting mine as per instructions and got advice from many many others that have told me the simple way to tune it for my area and it runs real nice now.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 11-06-2008, 02:05 AM   #33
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Rickyboy:

The FI injection on our Nomad is a closed loop system that is very primitive IMO. There are no oxygen sensors to determine if timing and/or fuel delivery should be modified by the ECM. This makes some Nomads ping and others not ping. It depends on where you live geographically that will determine how your bike runs.

Darn near everyone that lives in the southwest has a pinging issue, especially in the warm weather.

My settings on my TFI are considered very "rich" to some for that reason; 3-6-1-9. I run regular now. Asking someone what their pot settings are when you live more than a few hundred miles away from them and/or they have mods that you don't have is really asking for confusion. You tune your TFI for your area. If you use someone else's setting as pointed out above it will most likely be wrong.

I took a lot of time slowly adjusting mine as per instructions and got advice from many many others that have told me the simple way to tune it for my area and it runs real nice now.
Thanks VulcanE and BD. I appreciate your comments. I'm pretty much on the same page now, as far as ...."You tune your TFI for your area. If you use someone else's setting as pointed out above it will most likely be wrong." .....
This still leaves me with some concerns though BD,..Can I expect to have to adjust the TFI on a trip,.... say from the pacific northwest , to Custer S.D.???
I rode down to Zion Park and over to Vegas and back home last summer with no difference in the way the bike ran throughout the trip. { With no mods.}

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 11-06-2008, 09:27 AM   #34
Sr. Contributor

No. Your bikes ECM still has all the sensors to adjust the mixture to different riding altitudes or climates. It's just that now it will start with a new baseline that the TFI is set to and adjusts from there.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 11-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #35
Top Contributor

CLICK ! could you hear that?? ???
I think everything just fell into place. Somehow it all makes sense now BD. Between now and April I'll get the TFI and get 'er done !
Thanks for not giving up on me.

Right now though..... I think the way it's rain'in, I better get go'in on that ark. WOW !
I hope it's snowing up Baker.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #36
Sr. Contributor

Remember two of everything!!! including women!! LOL

Member # 0005

Old 11-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #37

I ordered a TFI for my 2007 Nomad this past weekend. I have pretty bad pinging with 93 octane even in 45 degree temperatures in gears 2 thru 5 if I get on it. I have to slowly open the throttle to avoid the ping. My bike is totally stock with 6,700 miles on it. I have run seafoam thru 5 tankfuls since buying it new in July 2007 and it still pings. Bike has been averaging 39-41 MPG. Has anyone on this forum added the TFI to a totally stock 1600? If so, what difference was noticiable and what settings did you use as your final setting. Other forum members say I should be able to eliminate the pinging and the excess heat from the engine.
Thanks. Glenn (Claybuster)

Old 11-10-2008, 11:27 PM   #38
Sr. Contributor

Glenn, thats exactly how my bike ran. I had to drive my Nomad based on the pinging. What a drag!

I think the biggest mileage reduction some have experienced is because now that the pinging is gone and the Nomad runs so much cooler and better, some are goosing the throttle with a lot more vigor than they did before! I have no problem with that! Would you?!!

Trust me, with the pinging disappearing and the cool running motor you will be stoked!!

Member # 0005

Old 11-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Glenn, thats exactly how my bike ran. I had to drive my Nomad based on the pinging. What a drag!

I think the biggest mileage reduction some have experienced is because now that the pinging is gone and the Nomad runs so much cooler and better, some are goosing the throttle with a lot more vigor than they did before! I have no problem with that! Would you?!!

Trust me, with the pinging disappearing and the cool running motor you will be stoked!!
Thanks Blowndodge and thanks for your replies on the Delphi forum too. So.....even if I leave my intake and exhaust stock I can still expect improvement. Right??? I know you had mentioned mods were done to you Nomad. Did you try the TFI while your bike was stock or did you install it after the mods. The answer I'm hoping to receive back is from someone that installed the TFI while their Nomad was totally stock and hear what results were achieved. I do understand each bike will probably run it's best at different settings.
Thanks again!

Glenn

Old 11-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #40
Sr. Contributor

I appreciate the kind words Glenn:

My mods to my bike could be considered so minimal that I'm "stock" by performance standards. My mods were really not done searching for hot rod results. Knowing what I know now I would have put the TFI on the first day I heard my bike ping, which was about 1 month after I bought it. Drilled baffles and a little opening up the left side of the air cleaner did nothing to improve or increase the level of pinging I had.

I would install it on a stock Nomad anyday!! You'll run so much nicer and you'll be ready to crank up more fuel if you get the bug to add open aftermarket exhaust and open up the air intake all the way!!

Member # 0005

Old 01-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #41
Top Contributor

Well, had a nice day to ride so went out and put about 100 miles on...back roads through the country and a little stop and go.

I am set at 3-6-1-9. 2up today I got 37.5mpg. Before the TFI I would have gotten around 39-40.

I think before I go out again I will reduce pot #1 to 2:45 then 2:30 and see what happens to performance......I can live with the 37.5.

I can tell you this was "cruising" type riding...no doubt if you get into the throttle it will effect it more.

more to come...................

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 01-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #42

OK Im SOLD TFI it is...... GREAT thread,,,, I am asicly stock,, Have a Gutted GB,, silencer removed from exhaust!! and K&N AF .. minor pinging on hille with 091 Oct.. cannt get 93 here,, 93 in Va bike ran GREAT even wityh 10% Corn oil,, We now have 10% Corn in our gas in Maine,, I oeder the TFI soon,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Rich

Old 01-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #43
Sr. Contributor

why are you going to lean it down if you got 37.5mpg's? Have you tried running regular yet? If you adjusted the first pot to give your Nomad the highest fast idle your running the theoretically perfect cruise mixture as well!

Remember the perfect air fuel mixture does not give the highest mileage. It does make for a great running Nomad however!

My fan still hasn't ever come on once I had the TFI set and I run regular! I'm running the same settings as you have been.

My Nomad pinged like piss on premium before!

Member # 0005

Old 01-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #44
Top Contributor

My best idle was probably somewhere between 2:30 and 3:30...a little under 3 and a little over 3 seems to be the same.

You know me...I can't set something and let it be...I have to tinker and adjust...I am just looking to see what it will do....lets say for something like a ride to Custer and I want to stretch out the time between stops a little more. Mostly experimenting for curiosity sake.

The one I am really curious about is to see how high I can go with #2 for max. performance.

I guess I am looking essentially for different settings for different situations...let's say my buds with their HDs and Power Commanders wanna go for a ride :) :)

I have not tried regular yet......we have 93, 89, and 87 here....remember, I have never had a ping at all...even when I have run 89 except when I really really put a hard pull on it.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 01-03-2009, 10:53 PM   #45
Top Contributor

My fan still comes on if left to idle too long 5 minutes or more even with the TFI. the motor is cooler it seems as others have said.