Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-20-2008, 11:39 AM   #16

Engine Vibration

Here are the part Nos.
11061-1079 Gasket
11061-1080 Gasket
92160-1725 1/2 of the Dampeners (requires 4)
92160-1726 1/2 of the Dampeners (requires 4)

Going to check www.cycle-parts.com for prices.
or www.bikebandit.com

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-20-2008, 02:25 PM   #17

Engine Vibration

OK....I went ahead and ordered the Dampers and Gaskets.....WTF.
The cost of the parts is around $70 with shipping.
This will eliminate the Dampers on the Counter Balancer.....At the same time I will examine the bushings/bearings on the Balancers as well.

From looking at Chucksters pictures on the VROC site.....It seems pretty straight forward.
Don't know if this is the problem but we will see.....If not..will chalk up as experience at a $70 price plus a little time.

I have checked most everything external......What do you guys think.....Waisting my time????

Old 10-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #18
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Engine Vibration

Good luck with that REFUGIO

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 10-20-2008, 04:46 PM   #19

Engine Vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFUGIO
What do you guys think.....Waisting my time????
Haven't a clue, but I'm guessing when you finish, we'll all know if it was a waste of time or not.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:14 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Engine Vibration

I'ld like the link if possible to the place where the how to is.. I didn't get time to look into my bike today either. If i have any real symptoms they are like yours and in neutral. If this is real, on my bike it just began on my last 500 mile ride.

Maybe i can get time tomorrow to look and snug things up and see if that helps.

If the counterbalance parts work I would be very interested in knowing about it.

In fact I'ld like to see any bad parts if you have time to take some shots.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-20-2008, 06:56 PM   #21
Top Contributor

Engine Vibration

Refugio: Did you feel this vibration before or AFTER your tear down at home for tires??? just pondering. Maybe you did something if after? Good Luck man.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:39 PM   #22

Engine Vibration

I noticed the vibration AFTER my tear down at home for tires. But all I did was jack the bike up using my Idaho Jack adapter....Removed the front and rear wheels....Lubed the driveshaft and swingarm.....Reinstall the wheels with the new tires on them.

This vibration I get with the increased higher RPM's can be acheived while in neutral in the shop.
While riding down the highway at 75-80 mph....and you can feel the vibration.....going at that speed I can pull the clutch lever and release the throttle and coast at 80mph while idling and it will be smooth as glass.....Then as soon as I get back on it and get cruising again, the vibration returns.
Even though I noticed the vibration more after doing the tear down at home...I have always had that kind of light audible knocking sound coming from the left side of the bike from behind that cover where the driveshaft output is. The counter balancers are in there next to the crank shaft. This is also the place that I can feel the vibration from when the bike is parked and in neutral while raising the RPM's.
On the VROC site...I did a search on "dampers"...."counter"...and "balancer".
The search results came up with a few posts on the subject of the very same symptoms I have been experiencing.....Those guys were replacing these triangular shaped rubber pieces called dampers. They shrink and lose pliability from the oil and engine heat and then the counter balancer plates get to tapping against the gear in there.
Joe (Chuckster1) has posted some pictures of the tear down of these counter balancers and dampers.
Also...there was another thread with talk of a worn out bushing on one of those gears or counter balancers.
Let me retrieve some of those links.....Will post again after I find them.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:06 PM   #23
Advanced Member

Engine Vibration

.....Refugio
You could very well be onto the problem with the dampener rubbers, although this is the first I have heard of them giving a problem with so few miles. I have read about the audible clunking noise they can make. The dampeners are not on the crankshaft as you mentioned, but further to the front of the engine on the balance shaft. It may help to isolate the spot where the noise is coming from if you could rig up something to use as a stethoscope, like a piece of hose and maybe moving it around on the left side cover. Good luck!

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 10-20-2008, 11:40 PM   #24

Engine Vibration

Here are some of Chuckster's pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chuckst...7601233929031/

There is more info but I'm getting tired.....must get to sleep...early work tomorrow.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:50 PM   #25
Advanced Member

Engine Vibration

....just a little heads up for you if you do this job yourself. I highly recommend having a service manual on hand before you start. You will be removing the alternator rotor and, I think the stator as well. It does call for a special tool to hold the crankshaft still to get the balancer shaft bolt loose, but when I took it apart, a penny jammed between the two balancer gears held it fine. Be careful not to turn the engine over at all while taking it apaart or after getting it apart because you will be messing with some timing marks while dissasembling and assemmbling. Not trying to scare you off, but instead just trying to help you make it into an enjoyable experience!

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

Old 10-21-2008, 12:27 AM   #26

Engine Vibration

Thanks Lomax....What did you take yours apart for if I may ask....Was it for the dampers?
There is also a collar/bushing I see from the parts diagram that looks like the counter balancer's (the one that holds the dampers) bearings ride on........I was thinking that this could be a problem culprit as well.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:21 AM   #27
Sr. Contributor

Engine Vibration

REFUGIO, I did the same testing exactly.... I got the same results exactly.. My bike is also green... hmmmm
thxs for the pics.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #28

Engine Vibration

OK macmac.....Fill me in...Ya lost me there.......Same testing?......My bike is Blue/Silver

I don't get it....Help a brother out....LOL

Old 10-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #29
Advanced Member

Engine Vibration

....Refugio
When I took my 99 apart, I was splitting the cases to replace the POG. I looked closely at the dampener rubbers as I assembled but didn't see anything wrong. The bike had 20k miles at that time. I don't recall paying much attention to the collar/bushing you mention and I don't remember anyone else talking about a failure with this part. Probably close inspection of it while you have it apart wouldn't hurt.

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

Old 10-21-2008, 08:16 PM   #30
Sr. Contributor

Engine Vibration

Oh.. I saw it as green, a 06. My bike is doing what your bike is. Just in the last 500 miles, which was a part of a trip home to NH from Md..

It does this in neutral and it calms down at 80 if I pull in the clutch lever. So I had done the testing you typed out exactly as you typed it.

At idle it makes a irregular tick sound on occasions as well, does your bike do that also? The tick is once and not again for a time, and not a regular ticking on any time..

Since I got home from that trip. part wake, I haven't done anything to sort it out. Work, cold and dark here in NH... I suspect what you are doing will be what i am doing pretty soon.

I was hoping for loose engine mounts, fatigued rubber, or anything that had no cost, since I am on to about winter. The weather for tonight is calling for snow.

The reality is I am hoping you will help me out.. I want to know what you find, and what you do about it. I want to know about these rubber parts as i have never seen them, and how they are held in place, moreover if I can rig them for free some how, to keep costs down.

I need a new ft tire, i need to regii the bike in November for a whole year even though 1/2 the year is winter, I need to insure it for the entire year too, since all these folks like my money see?

I'ld like a luggage rack and a trailer hitch, and even if I make that stuff i still need to buy the alloy and or steel, and the prices for that stuff raw ain't getting much cheaper, than I can buy them all made up..

So what ever is in there i wanna gorrillia glue if i can...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac