Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #1

Engine Vibration

It seems like I can feel the engine vibration more now than when the bike was new.
I have 9,880 miles on her now. When the bike was new..the passenger backrest was the only thing that you could really feel vibrations on. Now....you can feel them a lot more on the passenger seat and some in the driver's seat. It just seems that the bike used to run smoother. My daughter, who has not rode with me for a few weeks has even commented on it. Not super bad teeth rattling....but just a lot more than before.

This vibration is not only while riding...But also when not riding.
Just by increasing the RPM and holding the throttle (while the bike is sitting in my shop)....you can still feel the extra vibration I've been describing. So I've ruled out tires, balancing, drive shaft and such.

Now, I know it's a big motor and motorcycles are supposed to vibrate some...but the reason I am posting is because it vibrates more than before.

I have tried a few things.

1. Unhooked my Cobra TFI...still vibrates
2. Changed plugs...still vibrates
3. Cheaned throttle body with Seafoam....still vibrates
4. Run a tank of gas with Seafoam....still vibrates
5. Checked for loose bolts at certain areas...
6. Loosen motor mount bolts, let engine idle, retorqued.
7. Checked various bolts where exaust pipes attach.

When you hold the throttle at the higher RPM...You can touch all over the motor like each cylinder top sides.....Feeling for vibration.
The place you can really feel the vibration is on the left side of the motor...down low at the transmssion where the drive shaft output is located......That area.

I don't know......Maybe the engine counter balancer that supposed to counter rotate to "reduce engine vibrtion".
Where is this Counter balancer and do they go bad....How and can they be checked.

Maybe it's just normal for a Nomad to vibrate a little more after the miles start accumulating.

Anybody got any ideas or anything to tell me to check on?

Thanks
Doug

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-19-2008, 08:36 PM   #2

Engine Vibration

Not much help to you but I have noticed mine with 21,000 miles vibrates more than it used to also.
I just figured it is a v twin and it is supposd to vibrate ???
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #3

Engine Vibration

That's what I kind of believe......supposed to vibrate some.
All my riding is hard riding...on the highway at 75-85 mph. Maybe she's just wearin in now.
I did like it better when it was glass smooth.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:54 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Engine Vibration

This is confusing me Refugio. Most engines smooth out with mileage. At 9800 miles its most likely not the motor. somethings is loose or not right in the mounting system..

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 10-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #5

Engine Vibration

Well....I'm confused too...Blowndodge
What would you suggest I try.....I'm all ears....
Is there anything that could go wong with this Counter Balancer that in the engine.
Got any suggestion on what to do about checking to make sure the mounting system is right?
The bike runs like a champ

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-20-2008, 12:34 AM   #6

Engine Vibration

May be an oil change is in order.....Coming up on 3,000 miles since last change but I'm using Mobile 1 Synthetic.
I may go back to dino for a try but I doubt it will help.
Got to be something.........This all came about after letting the bike sit for 2 1/2 weeks waiting for tires to come in.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:36 AM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Engine Vibration

Counter balancer going out of wack is the last thing I would suspect REFUGIO, it's not adjustable and if it was smooth running prior I would suspect something else like the mounting brackets.... Have you really gone through all the bolts that hold the engine to the frame? You have the rubber mounts and the engine mounting brackets that hold the engine to the rubber brackets???

I have a feeling that this should be a simple fix....

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 10-20-2008, 12:55 AM   #8

Engine Vibration

You have the rubber mounts and the engine mounting brackets that hold the engine to the rubber brackets???

I'll take another look......Thanks

Old 10-20-2008, 08:28 AM   #9

Engine Vibration

Actually the counter balancer dampeners can go out of whack and require replacing. They are not that difficult to replace from what I have read. A couple of guys on either Delphi Vulcan or VROC have some experience replacing them. It sounds to me like this is your problem also from what you have described.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-20-2008, 08:37 AM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Engine Vibration

You said your bike sat waiting for new tires and now you feel vibration? Could it possibly be one or both tires are not balanced correctly???

Member # 0005

Old 10-20-2008, 08:45 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Engine Vibration

On my way back from Maryland last week I felt what I thought was more vibration than normal, and I plan to look into it soon. Maybe today. If I find anything I will sing out.

Yesterday i started the bike to move it, and at idle, not moving i still sence more vibration than what I consider normal. I eyeballed the engine mounts and touched them with my fingers, but never had time to put a wrench to them.

I have never read anyone saying the rubber mounts sagged, but looking to see all around the engine may show they have. This is in part, a plan I have to see if the engine is touching any part of the frame, or anything else it shouldn't be touching.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-20-2008, 09:28 AM   #12

Engine Vibration

I noticed since I did the baffles that mine vibrates at higher rpm's now.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:52 AM   #13

Engine Vibration

I may be crazy, but I swear I felt more vibration as it got time for an oil change. Then, after changing the oil, it smooths back out. The previous owner ran synthetic, not sure of the brand, I run the Shell Rotella (and like it so far).

Old 10-20-2008, 11:03 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Engine Vibration

Oil can make a difference in the over all smoothness, when it is worn. In my case i just changes it last week before i went to maryland. I have apx 1,200 miles on that oil now, so I don't think in my case the vibration can be traced to tis cause.

Oils in bikes take a beating, when the tranny shares the same engine oil. The gears shear oil molecules in a way cars don't, other than the few small spur cut gears found in oil pump impellors.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-20-2008, 11:33 AM   #15

Engine Vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
You said your bike sat waiting for new tires and now you feel vibration? Could it possibly be one or both tires are not balanced correctly???
No....Because I get this vibration with the bike in neutral and parked in the shop....Just by increasing the RPM (with the throttle) and holding it there....I can feel it most when I touch the left side engine cover.

I'm considering changing the Counter Balancer's rubber dampeners......Went to the VORC and did some searching and reading there....Got part numbers and may try changing them out.
I know it's early but some guys have reported this vibration as early as 5-6000 miles....Rode it like that for thousands of miles.
After changing out the dampeners...they claim it ran quiet and smooth like a new one