Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #31
Top Contributor

TFI Installed.

You dont need a backing plate for the right, just butt up the K&N and tighten it down. You will need to buy the Spectre kit just to get the outer chrome cover unless you buy one somewhere else. The backing plate goes in the trash from spectre.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #32
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
TFI Installed.

PM sent Doc.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 10-21-2008, 02:25 PM   #33

TFI Installed.

Thanks again, macmac. I made a copy and posted it on the wall in my shop.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:56 PM   #34
Top Contributor

TFI Installed.

got that TFI yet billmac? your going to feel like a kid at Xmas when you hit that throttle. We need to start a thread for new/old TFI uses with their pot settings for 1600 Nomad/ ??

Old 10-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #35
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
TFI Installed.

did you guys order the TFI from the Dobeck, or some where else online. I think Custom Dynamics has it for less. $195.91 ??

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #36
Top Contributor

TFI Installed.

Hi Doc, do you have a link for Spectre ?

Old 10-21-2008, 07:21 PM   #37

TFI Installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc (Lonewolf)
got that TFI yet billmac? your going to feel like a kid at Xmas when you hit that throttle. We need to start a thread for new/old TFI uses with their pot settings for 1600 Nomad/ ??
Well doc, I got the TFI installed but I dont think I have it set right. I used your pot settings, I think. 2:30, 5:30, off, 9:00

The bike seems to run cooler. But it still pings as bad as before and I could not tell much performance change if any?

Rather than mess around with settings, I thought I would ask questions first. Does the TFI actually have numbers for each pot or are we turning the screw to corresponding clock postions. I could not see numbers with my bad old eyes so I used clock position with the screws. I did not see any numbers or arrows. Do I need stronger glasses?

Which pot helps with the pinging? I went ahead and filled up with mid-grade gas in anticipation of eliminating pings. It is really sounding off at me now.

I understand it did not matter which TFI connection plugged into which cylinder.

My Nomad is bone stock on the intake and the exhaust is the Blowndodge bafflectomy.

Appreciate all suggestions. Feel free to laugh?

Old 10-21-2008, 07:51 PM   #38
Sr. Contributor

TFI Installed.

BillMac, set the pots all back counter clockwise. And yes were are talking hour hand on a clock, but there are numbers. (real small numbers) apsx 12:30 is off..

With ALL pots off, and the engine running at a regular idle, turn just pot 1 slowly clockwise.

Then come back and say what if anything happened. I hate to say this, but I am questioning whether or not you got this wired correctly...

If it is the rpms will go up, and perhaps go up a lot, to the point you would want to turn the black cable knob under the right side filter, if it is as shown in the pics, to lower idle, but don't yet.. Just turn the pot 1 back counter clock wise for now, so the next time you start the rpm won't go into orbit.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-21-2008, 10:10 PM   #39

TFI Installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
BillMac, set the pots all back counter clockwise. And yes were are talking hour hand on a clock, but there are numbers. (real small numbers) apsx 12:30 is off..

With ALL pots off, and the engine running at a regular idle, turn just pot 1 slowly clockwise.

Then come back and say what if anything happened. I hate to say this, but I am questioning whether or not you got this wired correctly...

If it is the rpms will go up, and perhaps go up a lot, to the point you would want to turn the black cable knob under the right side filter, if it is as shown in the pics, to lower idle, but don't yet.. Just turn the pot 1 back counter clock wise for now, so the next time you start the rpm won't go into orbit.
I reset all the pots back to 1:00, off. With the engine at idle, I slowly turned pot 1 all the way to the right. Nothing happened. No change in the motor at all. I did notice the third pot light was on.

So did I somehow manage to wire it up wrong. The connectors matched. Should I switch injector wires or what. Looks like I am going to get some experience at R&R the gas tank. :)

Any ideas? I appreciate the help.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #40

TFI Installed.

To check if you have it wired correctly, remove the rubber plug from the face of the TFI unit and note the four potentiometers. These will be used to adjust your fuel mixture. First though turn on the key and make sure the green light inside the unit is blinking. This indicates all of your connections are properly made. Start the bike and the green light should stay on solid. If so then it's time for the adjustments. If there is no green light you'll have to go back to square one and figure out what went wrong.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 10-22-2008, 08:35 AM   #41
Top Contributor

TFI Installed.

billmac mine did that too. Then light on pot #1 ia on all the time while running. Then you can adjust that one. When you throttle it at idle quickly pot @2 light should light for a sec to show its working.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #42
Top Contributor

TFI Installed.

redjay: i bought mine at Autozone for $20.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #43
Top Contributor

TFI Installed.

Thanks Doc, No Autozone here in Ontario as far as I know. I will try NAPA or similar.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #44
Sr. Contributor

TFI Installed.

BillMac, I don't have the same version, you have. I used the older version where you need to solder the TFI into the wiring directly. I suspect a poor connection somewhere, and think you need to pull each wire, and check each connection 1 by 1.

Pulling the tank gets easier. Make sure the power in and ground is real solid and clean. make sure the rest of the connectors are clean and well placed, and that no plastic molded casting as connectors are bent, twisted, spindled or mutilated.

I don't know, but it seems the ecu isn't seeing the tfi.

Review the instruction sheet.

So far I have never heard of a tfi that was broken in anyway, so I don't think you have a defective unit, but that a poor connection has been made somehow.

When the tank is on, enough to run the engine, leave the nacell off, and test pot 1 alone.

i hope you don't have a totally full tank of fuel just now... I try to prepare this work with the tank less than 1/2 full, when I can.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #45

TFI Installed.

I talked twice with Tech support for Techlusion. He was very helpful and basically told me to follow the instructions and Pot settings for a stock Nomad. He said, if I still had some pinging, Pot 2 is like an accelerator pump and I could raise it more.

I set the Pots per instructions. Green light flashes when I turn the key on and the green light stays on when bike is running. Bike runs cooler and low speed driveablility seemed solid without the flat spots or cough. But still had lots of pinging with Mid-Grade fuel. I kept raising Pot 2 and testing the pinging. Finally raised Pot 2 all the way to 11:00. There I had a very, very slight ping for a second or two with a full roll on throttle.

The tech support said that I was dumping way too much fuel with Pot 2 set at 11:00. He said it would not hurt the bike except maybe mileage. He suggested that I may have intake leak or ignition issue. He said all pinging usually goes away at setting 4 or 5. He suggested I spray windex around the intake and listen for changes in engine. I may try some seafoam first.

I advised that I would return to premium fuel and lower the Pot 2 settings back to 6:00 and work from there.

I appreciate doc, macmac, VulcanE, BD, and others for their help. Lets do like doc suggested and get a thread going with our pot settings.