Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-06-2015, 10:40 PM   #1

Just installed NGK Iridium plugs - great first impression

Hi guys/gals, I'm new to the forum & this is my first thread besides the New Member post.

I just picked up my 2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad on 06-30-2015.

Overall, the bike ran fine... but fine is not good enough for me. I'm very particular & like to keep my vehicles running in tip top condition. I felt the throttle response was a bit sluggish and it had a slight spark knock under load. Thinking it was probably a combination of old fuel, possibly regular instead of premium, old spark plugs and maybe just sitting for a few months I decided to run a couple of tanks with SeaFoam and hit the road for just under 300 miles in the last week. The SeaFoam alone made a slight but noticeable difference.

Then today the NGK DPR7EIX-9 Iridium Spark Plugs were in my mailbox when I got home from work

There was an immediate improvement in starting, idle quality, overall sound and a solid improvement in throttle response across the band. The rain clouds came in so I only ran it down the street for a few minutes... I will report back after a few days but I can say for sure that these are definitely worth the extra $$.

---------------------------------
2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- 18" Street Glide Front wheel conversion (details are on this forum)
- HD King Tour-Pak w/ Wompus Rack
- Mustang wide touring two piece seat
- Chuckster's 3" Handlebar Risers
- Baron's Big Air Kit
- Chuckster's left side decorative plate
- Cobra True Duals w/ Billet Tips
- Speedmetal Cree LED Headlight conversion kit
- Michelin Commander II tires

Real Estate Broker/Property Manager
Las Vegas, NV USA

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-07-2015, 07:57 AM   #2

I too found that the bike starts faster with the Iridium plugs, they do make a difference.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-07-2015, 09:55 AM   #3
Advanced Member

I have also tried the NGK Irridiums, but now I am running the E3 plugs with the round fire ring. No worry about gap, and bike starts quick and great gas mileage, I was getting around 42 MPG in the mountains riding 2 up with luggage!
Only a couple bucks more than regular NGK s....

I really like a good spark plug thread!
And tires, and even oil too, dammit man! I gotta go ride!

2008 1600 Nomad 56K miles "BlueBelle"

2004 1500 Nomad 102 K miles "Black Beauty"

ABATE Black Creek Chapter

Amvet Rider Post 86
http://www.facebook.com/AmvetPost86

Weston A. Price Foundation member.

Vegetarian......
An old Indian word meaning "Bad Hunter"

Legalize Freedom!
Question Authority!

"Im in love with the waitress, and I dont even know her name"
"Boys" Gone Wild" ! Mainstreet Station 2012 Daytona Bikeweek

Last edited by roadhawg; 07-07-2015 at 09:59 AM.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to HurtSoMuch Send a message via Skype™ to HurtSoMuch
got the same iridium plugs in my '99 Nomad..way better than stock.
VBA #02163

Old 07-07-2015, 02:47 PM   #5

I was tossing back and forth between the Iridiums and the E3... glad to hear the E3's work as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhawg View Post
I have also tried the NGK Irridiums, but now I am running the E3 plugs with the round fire ring. No worry about gap, and bike starts quick and great gas mileage, I was getting around 42 MPG in the mountains riding 2 up with luggage!
Only a couple bucks more than regular NGK s....

I really like a good spark plug thread!
And tires, and even oil too, dammit man! I gotta go ride!

2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- Baron's Big Air Kit

Las Vegas, NV USA

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
I too found that the bike starts faster with the Iridium plugs, they do make a difference.
Ditto what Steve said.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 07-07-2015, 05:16 PM   #7

I just got back from a ride around town, about 50 miles total, mostly stop & go with some highway. BTW- it's about 100 degrees today in Vegas with 35% humidity, which is pretty damp for here. The bike did very well. Started up great this morning & ran beautifully in traffic. I turned down the idle a little bit, as it was idling slightly faster than with the previous plugs.. definitely smoother overall.

Next on the list to check: Air Filter.

2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- Baron's Big Air Kit

Las Vegas, NV USA

Old 07-07-2015, 11:30 PM   #8

Grin

After reading this thread I went out and picked up a set at O'Reilly's. WOW!!! Bike has been knocking ever since I got it; running Premium (91 here in Denver), Seafoam, MMO, nothing seemed to have an effect. Took it out for a spin after the change (and original plugs had good color) and nothing - no ping at all. Gunning it, under load, nothing seemed to faze it. Best $28 I ever spent on a mod.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:26 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans06Nomad View Post
After reading this thread I went out and picked up a set at O'Reilly's. WOW!!! Bike has been knocking ever since I got it; running Premium (91 here in Denver), Seafoam, MMO, nothing seemed to have an effect. Took it out for a spin after the change (and original plugs had good color) and nothing - no ping at all. Gunning it, under load, nothing seemed to faze it. Best $28 I ever spent on a mod.
Did you get the NGKs or the E3s. I'm next.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
Did you get the NGKs or the E3s. I'm next.
The NGK DPR7EIX-9

Old 07-09-2015, 08:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
Hi guys/gals, I'm new to the forum & this is my first thread besides the New Member post.

Overall, the bike ran fine... but fine is not good enough for me. I'm very particular & like to keep my vehicles running in tip top condition. I felt the throttle response was a bit sluggish and it had a slight spark knock under load. Thinking it was probably a combination of old fuel, possibly regular instead of premium, old spark plugs and maybe just sitting for a few months I decided to run a couple of tanks with SeaFoam and hit the road for just under 300 miles in the last week. The SeaFoam alone made a slight but noticeable difference.

Then today the NGK DPR7EIX-9 Iridium Spark Plugs were in my mailbox when I got home from work

There was an immediate improvement in starting, idle quality, overall sound and a solid improvement in throttle response across the band. The rain clouds came in so I only ran it down the street for a few minutes... I will report back after a few days but I can say for sure that these are definitely worth the extra $$.
What's the difference in these that you put in and the DPR6EA-9 that I see when I do a search? In fact that particular model doesn't even come up on the search.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:10 AM   #12

Quote:

Also found that the NGK website lists those for the 1500 but not the 1600. I still don't see a difference? Are they a "hotter" plug??

Old 07-09-2015, 01:32 PM   #13

DPR7EIX-9 are Iridium plugs. DPR6EA-9 are standard plugs.
7's are one step colder than 6's, though I'm of the opinion it doesn't play much into the factor of why the bike runs better. The Iridium plug is simply more efficient. The previous owner of my bike had used DPR7EA-9 plugs which I found out when I removed them. The 7's are listed in the manual for my bike as the optional plug for more highway and hot weather driving. So considering the same 7 temp was used, the only factor remaining is the efficiency of the Iridium plugs. They also say Iridium plugs outlast standard plugs, which doesn't matter to me. I'll change them every year regardless of their condition... it's cheap $28 insurance for me that I have a great running bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobber View Post
Also found that the NGK website lists those for the 1500 but not the 1600. I still don't see a difference? Are they a "hotter" plug??

2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- Baron's Big Air Kit

Las Vegas, NV USA

Old 07-09-2015, 04:09 PM   #14

Quote:
DPR7EIX-9 are Iridium plugs. DPR6EA-9 are standard plugs.
7's are one step colder than 6's, though I'm of the opinion it doesn't play much into the factor of why the bike runs better. The Iridium plug is simply more efficient. The previous owner of my bike had used DPR7EA-9 plugs which I found out when I removed them. The 7's are listed in the manual for my bike as the optional plug for more highway and hot weather driving. So considering the same 7 temp was used, the only factor remaining is the efficiency of the Iridium plugs. They also say Iridium plugs outlast standard plugs, which doesn't matter to me. I'll change them every year regardless of their condition... it's cheap $28 insurance for me that I have a great running bike.
You may not know, being in Vegas, but I'm riding if there's no snow/ice on the road and the temp is above 15 degrees. Should these "7's" be a problem under those type of conditions, or should I just take a wait and see attitude?

Old 07-10-2015, 09:27 PM   #15

Ahh, Colorado. Great scenery, but bi-polar weather
You should not have any issues from using these plugs in your environment.
If you were pinging with the copper 6's on premium fuel, you will do well with these. Let me know if you ever head out this way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans06Nomad View Post
You may not know, being in Vegas, but I'm riding if there's no snow/ice on the road and the temp is above 15 degrees. Should these "7's" be a problem under those type of conditions, or should I just take a wait and see attitude?

2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- Baron's Big Air Kit

Las Vegas, NV USA