Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
(Nothing against Nomads but Vision will outhandle a Nomad.)
Comments like this and you wonder why I don't cut you Vic guys any slack. I am really getting tired of hearing about how superior your Vision is to the Nomad. It may well be. This thread is about CT's . I have backed waaay off with my negative Victory comments since I was pissing a couple of you off. I would apreciate the same from you too. This is a Kawasaki forum as you well know.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #17

Has anyone tried a ct on a Vaquero yet? If so, what brand/size?

Old 02-02-2014, 10:08 PM   #18

I had one on my '07 Nomad for 17,500 miles. My reason for going Darkside was a rear MC tire just doesn't hold up very long pulling a trailer. I got 6,000 miles on a rear Avon Cobra, a very good and expensive MC tire. That made me go darkside. It's not for everybody but it worked for me.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 02-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #19

Using Car Tire on Rear of Motorcycle.

I have been using a Car Tire on the rear of all four of my Motorcycles for 5 years now. I can say for sure that I was saved from a wipe out on my 2008 Nomad when having to brake hard in heavy rain, my front tire broke traction but my rear Car tire did not and kept me from sliding sideways. I really miss the Nomad not having ABS in these situations.

This is the best validation that Car Tires work well in corners I can think of is: Yellow Wolf who is the best rider I know of in handling a Goldwing riding fast in the curves is now riding with a Car tire. He has said he is not ever switching back. Yellow Wolf runs the Dragon in 10 to 11 Minutes when it takes other good riders 15 to 20 minutes. The Dragon has 318 turns in 11 miles with many hair pin corners and he has run the Dragon 24 Hours nonstop doing over 1,000 Miles.

the 24 hrs of deals gap
1001.7 miles
23 hrs and 52 min
29,786 turns
avg. 19 mpg

Check out these Links:

Many of us Dark Riders have ridden with Yellow Wolf on Tips Rides using our Goldwings with Car Tires mounted and Yellow Wolf was so impressed that he had to try one after consulting with us as to what the best Tire to use.

There is a lot of collective knowledge built up by us as to which Car Tires work the best. In the following Link Yellow Wolf explains the Car Tire has so much traction in a Corner that his Front Tire a Bridgestone G09 (Best Front Tire for corning) will slide out where as when he used to power out of a corner with his Motorcycle type Rear tire, it used to always drift which he was able to control better then a Front Tire breaking traction.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?420105-my-darkside-tire-evaluation

PS: The fellow who took this above Video of Yellow Wolf was also ridding a Goldwing and not near the skill level of Yellow Wolf as he was dragging pegs, something Yellow Wolf never does and he (Yellow Wolf) was actually slowing down a little so the following rider could keep him in sight. Yellow Wolf even had him edit the Video in places where the following rider crossed the center line trying to keep up.

Darksider 2006 Goldwing 1800, 2008 Nomad 1600, 2006 ST1300PA Police, 2005 Burgman Executive 650
Goodyear TripleTred CT NRF 205/60R16 38psi - KUMHO 195/55-16 CT Run Flat 32psi VBA #01969
POTENZA 165/65R14 38psi - Hankook 205/50/ZR17 38psi - Michelin Alpin PA3 205/60R16 36psi
DUNLOP NRF 195/60R16 38psi - Bridgestone Front G709 38psi - Darkside Number (DS #610)

Last edited by Northern Dancer; 02-02-2014 at 11:10 PM.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #20
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
Comments like this and you wonder why I don't cut you Vic guys any slack. I am really getting tired of hearing about how superior your Vision is to the Nomad. It may well be. This thread is about CT's . I have backed waaay off with my negative Victory comments since I was pissing a couple of you off. I would apreciate the same from you too. This is a Kawasaki forum as you well know.
/sarcasm/It's a Kawasaki forum? Really? Are you sure?/sarcasm/

I don't care if you cut us "Vic guys" any slack or not. I ride what I want to ride. Nothing against either MY Nomad or anybody elses, but facts are facts. The Vision was designed to handle exceptionally well. The Nomad was designed to be a heavy weight cruiser (which it does well). If I rode a Hayabusa and mentioned that it cornered better than a Nomad, would you have had a problem with that, too?

I know the thread is about car tires. That's why I posted what I did....about car tires. Did you bother to read my entire thread or did you see the word "Victory" and automatically get your panties in a wad?

Let it go, guy. I'm glad you love your Nomad. Own it, ride it, enjoy it and brag about it. I'm behind you all the way. BTW, you weren't pissing me off with your negativity towards Victory. If you pissed someone else off, respond to them, not me. Like I've said before, I couldn't care less which bike you like nor which one you ride. You put more effort into hating Victory than anyone I know.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
No, not a tender spot and didn't mean it that way. I'm sorry if I came across that way.

You're question is legitimate.

Was just trying to make the point that a car tire actually has the same or larger contact patch as a motorcycle tire.

Cheers!
Nah........its all good.
The only thing I can figure is the ct sidewall must be flexible enough to allow the ct tread to lay flat on the road. But what bothers me is if say you take it to far over and role on to the edge or if the side wall type isnt flexible enough and the side wall decides its going to snap back, or you hit a bump and it snaps back........what then? Ya see i can't see that risk happening with a mc tyre.

And yes I know, I've seen the vids which I admit are impressively convincing it just seems to work.

Last edited by muz; 02-02-2014 at 11:32 PM.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #22

I've seen guys with car tires on with no toes left in their boots and floor boards wore off so you can lean the suckers with them on and feel good about it.. :-)

Old 02-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #23
Advanced Member

The first picture is the contact patch of a CT. The second is an MC at a similar speed and lean. I'll be the first to admit, there's a slight handling difference particularly around 35-40 mph. Above or below that, it's indiscernible. 22,000 miles on my CT right now. I would have had to put 3 MC's on to get the same mileage.

To me, it's worth it. Ride what you like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg contact patch.jpg (9.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg contact patch mc tire.jpg (9.5 KB, 37 views)

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Old 02-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #24

A while back I trailed behind a guy with C/T installed on the back. The route took us up a twisting mountain road so I was able to watch and see how his C/T performed. While cornering at no time did his tire ride up on the outer edge. The sidewalls flexed enough to allow at least 2/3rds of the tread to stay flat on the ground. Since the sidewall is engineered to flex to absorb the jolts of uneven road surfaces I didn't see where running a C/T would be such a dangerous thing to do. I was getting a little tired of replacing the rear every 10 months so I installed one on the next tire change. I tried it for about 5000 miles and found it seem to perform well. They do have a different feel to them when cornering though and I couldn't quite get used to it so when I heard about the longer wearing Commander II's I decided to replace the C/T with one of them.
There are C/T's that experienced darksiders do not recommend. If your going to install one, do your homework first and buy a brand/size that those who have already 'been there done that' recommend.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Last edited by Vulcan Bill; 02-03-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
The only thing I can figure is the ct sidewall must be flexible enough to allow the ct tread to lay flat on the road.
The videos typically show a car tire partially lifted in hard cornering. The sidewall doesn't flex to keep the tread flat on the pavement. It appears pretty obvious that even partially lifted the contact patch for the car tire is larger than that of a round motorcycle tire. As lean angle increases the difference decreases.

That said, I've stayed with a standard MC tire. I'm not an expert so I've chosen to stay with what the guys who design and build the motorcycles recommend.
KawaNOW #01691
VRA National Vice President 2012
Kentucky Chapter Treasurer

Old 02-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #26
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crow View Post
The videos typically show a car tire partially lifted in hard cornering. The sidewall doesn't flex to keep the tread flat on the pavement. It appears pretty obvious that even partially lifted the contact patch for the car tire is larger than that of a round motorcycle tire. As lean angle increases the difference decreases.

That said, I've stayed with a standard MC tire. I'm not an expert so I've chosen to stay with what the guys who design and build the motorcycles recommend.
That's why they don't run them on sport bikes. I know on my bike the pipes and or floorboards will rub way way before you get enough angle to lift the tread. I've seen a video of a guy running a Triumph with a CT. It was a poor example though. His cornering was way off (terrible lines) but I don't think it would've mattered what tire he was running (if ya know what I mean )

VBA member #01682
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Last edited by danimal2; 02-03-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crow View Post

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
One big item that most miss is not only has the Car Tires we use have a wider Contact Patch we use lower Tire Pressure making the Patch much longer front to back -- see attached Picture of my Goldwing side on.

There are fewer Car Tire Choices that work well for my ST1300 but we have found a couple that work really well and without saying my ST1300 leans really well in Corners. I have Titanium Peg Savers on (3) of my Motorcycles and the ST1300 have been touching the pavement when I am pushing it with no traction problems.

On a Tour Motorcycle that cannot lean as far as a Sport Motorcycle there is no possibility we can get a Car Tire on its Side wall. As dark Siders we always pick proven Tires that do have the rounded Edge used on Sports Cars and more and more on Family Cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Goldwing 6.jpg (98.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Nomad after 6,000 Little Wear-Sized.jpg (97.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg ST1300 15sized.jpg (95.9 KB, 31 views)

Darksider 2006 Goldwing 1800, 2008 Nomad 1600, 2006 ST1300PA Police, 2005 Burgman Executive 650
Goodyear TripleTred CT NRF 205/60R16 38psi - KUMHO 195/55-16 CT Run Flat 32psi VBA #01969
POTENZA 165/65R14 38psi - Hankook 205/50/ZR17 38psi - Michelin Alpin PA3 205/60R16 36psi
DUNLOP NRF 195/60R16 38psi - Bridgestone Front G709 38psi - Darkside Number (DS #610)

Old 02-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #28
Top Contributor

Here's a photo of a guy on a sport bike riding on the Tail of the Dragon. He has a car tire mounted.

Works for him.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 02-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #29
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
Oh come on now Dave. The new BMW 1600 is faster, smoother, better handling, more sophisticated than my Victory and it doesn't hurt at all to admit that. Is it superior in those ways? ABSOLUTELY. But I'm not interested in German bikes and their idiosyncrasies. All chris was say which is very well known in cruiser land is that Vics are among the best handling. I had a CT on my Nomad. I wouldn't put one on my Vic at the moment because of the vastly superior handling might be compromised.

I would no more put a shaved DOT legal street racing tire on a Bently than putting a low resistant hybrid tire on a Vette.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #30
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Here's a photo of a guy on a sport bike riding on the Tail of the Dragon. He has a car tire mounted.

Works for him.
I stand corrected..................again.

Have to say though, that's the first true sportsbike I've seen running a CT. I do lead a sheltered existance though. That looks kinda funny.

VBA member #01682
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Last edited by danimal2; 02-03-2014 at 07:10 PM.