Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #1

Dark side? I just dont get it.

Given that a motorcyle tire is rounded across the tread area for an obvious reason and a car tire isn't rounded, can some learned person out there explain to me how a car tire on a motor bike can come even close to being safe while cornering in the wet?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #2

If you look at the car tire, you will there is ample tread on the rounded part to fliter out the water, unless you are a knee dragger then there is really no way you will not be on the treaded area of the tire when cornering in the wet. I have driven with the car tire in wet weather, in fact in downpours, and never had it break traction. Unlike the motorcycle tire which did send the rear sideways one time.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 02-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
If it goes against your grain then don't worry about it. Nobody darksiding concerns themselves with doubters. FYI I've done it. Had no issues.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
If you look at the car tire, you will there is ample tread on the rounded part to fliter out the water, unless you are a knee dragger then there is really no way you will not be on the treaded area of the tire when cornering in the wet. I have driven with the car tire in wet weather, in fact in downpours, and never had it break traction. Unlike the motorcycle tire which did send the rear sideways one time.
But it dosent even come close to having the same contact area either.
Just doesn't make sence when you compare the two profiles.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:22 PM   #5

It's just a different feel. Like smokey said, if you are a kneedragger stick with a mc tire. If you get the chance to ride someones bike with a ct do it. Then you'll understand. I did and it's not for me. However I can see where straight line traction is greatly increased.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
How about you read the multiple threads regarding this on this forum and others. Try a Google search, too. Car tires work. That's all you need to know since you seem to be against them.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 02-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
How about you read the multiple threads regarding this on this forum and others. Try a Google search, too. Car tires work. That's all you need to know since you seem to be against them.
Done that. And no I'm not against them. Thought there might be some reasoning out there for their use given that I need a rear tire/tyre. Looks like its a suck it and see situation.
Always been frightened of the dark.

Last edited by muz; 02-02-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #8

If you are a conservative rider you will get much more mileage out of a car tire and they cost a lot less money
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 02-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Quote:
Have you ever examined the actual contact area of a car tire and compared it to the contact area of a MC tire? I have and guess what, the car tire wins hands down.

Disclaimer: This was done on a cruiser (2006 Nomad specifically) and not on a crotch rocket. You can't lean a Nomad far enough to even get close to having less contact area. Others may vary.

If it makes you uncomfortable or uneasy to consider running a car tire, don't do it. I have no desire to try to convert anyone.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 02-02-2014 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Original comment had possible appearance of being offensive.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Have you ever examined the actual contact area of a car tire and compared it to the contact area of a MC tire? I have and guess what, the car tire wins hands down.

Disclaimer: This was done on a cruiser (2006 Nomad specifically) and not on a crotch rocket. You can't lean a Nomad far enough to even get close to having less contact area. Others may vary.

If it makes you uncomfortable or uneasy to consider running a car tire, don't do it. I have no desire to try to convert anyone.
Looks like I may have hit a tender spot with this one..........crawling back into my hole now......good luck all you darksiders!

Old 02-02-2014, 08:44 PM   #11

Youtube it and watch it you will see how it acts in curves. I ride on the darkside and have no plans going back to a mc tire. I have let a few people ride my bike with the car tire some have liked it and switched and some haven't.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #12
Top Contributor

Quote:
Looks like I may have hit a tender spot with this one..........crawling back into my hole now......good luck all you darksiders!
No, not a tender spot and didn't mean it that way. I'm sorry if I came across that way.

You're question is legitimate.

Was just trying to make the point that a car tire actually has the same or larger contact patch as a motorcycle tire.

Cheers!

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 02-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #13

Yellow people will jump on you quite quickly, don't worry about it.

For me to each their own. I have no desire to go with a car tire, but that's me.

I have a friend that had a car tire on for a week and removed it and went back to a bike tire. He just didn't like the feel but you can't judge it without first trying. Pretty much like anything else in life I guess.

Cheers

Old 02-02-2014, 09:28 PM   #14
Top Contributor

I didn't have my Nomad long enough to put a car tire on it. If I had, I would have. I tried a car tire on the back of my Victory Vision and didn't care for it. I'm still a darkside fan. I know a few Victory Vision riders who swear by their car tires. (Nothing against Nomads but Vision will outhandle a Nomad.) My point is, there's plenty of tread contact for anything but a kneedragger. Even then, I think it would work. Car tires are much cheaper than motorcycle tires (I paid over $300 for my last rear m/c tire on my Vision although it's a dual compound). The high performance car tire I tried was less than $100, shipped. I know quite a few heavy cruiser/touring bike riders who have gotten over 30k miles (some, close to 40k) on their CTs. Even with the new(er) dual compound m/c tires, that's just not going to happen.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 02-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #15

I just bought a new voyager and part of the deal with the dealership was to remove my car tire from my old bike and put it on my new one, he did it before any money changed hands. Does that mean I like my car tire? You betcha. +1 more contact than mt at all times on a voyager, Google it and watch the video.