Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #31

Did you put gas in it yet?

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Did you put gas in it yet?
Full tank

VBA #02442
VROC Member
PGR (Patriot Guard Riders)
MMCI (Masonic Motorcycle Club International)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Author Unknown

01 Kaw Nomad 1500 (Vintage Red)

Old 11-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #33

Is your fuel filter plugged?

Larry Martel
02 1500 Nomad
VBA 01565
VROC4737
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 11-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
Is your fuel filter plugged?
Can you tell me where it is and how to check? I want to check it, hoses for kinks and cracks, etc.

VBA #02442
VROC Member

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Author Unknown

Old 11-25-2013, 12:06 AM   #35

The filter may be in the tank, but I'm not familiar with carbed models. Pull the hose off at the carb and see if fuel flows out of it.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #36

My Haynes manual finally arrived. The filter and pump are under the tank. According to Haynes, the pump "runs when the starter button is pressed," not when the key is turned on, which was news to me. Also according to Haynes, "when the [carb] float valve shuts off the flow into the chamber(s), the back pressure in the line stops the pump." If I can get my bike home, I can test to see if the pump works by "using a fully charged 12v battery, connect the positive terminal to the yellow wire terminal in the pump side of the connector using an auxillary lead, and connect the negative terminal to the black/yellow wire terminal - the pump should operate."

I just need my bike brought home so I can test out the pump. If anyone can help me by trailering my bike from Smyrna (GA) to Canton (GA) please contact me ASAP. Or if you know of a trustworthy wrecker service, that will work too. I can't let it just sit in the parking deck at work.

VBA #02442
VROC Member

Last edited by Bamabrat; 11-25-2013 at 07:22 AM.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #37

Please Keep Us posted.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #38
Advanced Member

Hey Jason, hope you find a tow soon. It got me thinking what I would do in your situation and I remembered my insurance company (Progressive) has a roadside assistance clause. It wasn't something I asked for or knew was available. I wasn't aware I had it till till the rep mentioned it while renewing my policy on the phone. I don't know if that's common in the bike insurance industry but it might be worth a call to your agent.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #39

Most of the roadside assistance programs do not include bikes. I have AAA and it doesn't cover the bike.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 11-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #40
Advanced Member

This is on my Progressive MOTORCYCLE policy. I quizzed the rep about it at the time and she was firm that it applied to motorcycles as well. It is entirely possible she was clueless, so I just went and looked it up again and I guess she wasn't wrong. Here's a blurb from Progressive's site:
  • Roadside Assistance — If your motorcycle breaks down, Roadside Assistance will pay to tow it to the nearest qualified repair facility. Roadside Assistance also covers the necessary labor costs at the place of breakdown when your motorcycle or off-road vehicle is disabled due to any of the following:
  • Mechanical or electrical breakdown
  • Dead battery
  • Flat tire
  • Lockout
  • Insufficient supply of fuel, oil, water, or other fluids
  • Entrapment in snow, mud, water, or sand within 100 feet of the roadway
Now granted that's to the nearest repair shop, not 30 miles to another city, but if a person had that coverage it'd be a great start to getting home (pun).

Last edited by id-man; 11-25-2013 at 01:07 PM.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #41
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyRider View Post
Most of the roadside assistance programs do not include bikes. I have AAA and it doesn't cover the bike.
AMA roadside assistance does, and also your car. In fact, it covers any car you happen to be in, whether as a driver or passenger.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #42

Unfortunately, American General (purchased through Met Life) doesn't have roadside assistance, as i just found out. Maybe it's time to look at other companies ?!?

Just called 4 towing companies. Want to know what they charge to tow a 800 lb bike 30 miles 1-way? $160!!! Not just "no" but "hell no!" I finally got smart and called a few brothers from my lodge, and one of them is borrowing a neighbor's trailer to help me take it home this afternoon. I've always known that I could depend on a brother to help me out, but it's really reassuring when that time comes and you get the confirmation.

Once I get home, I can test the fuel pump, filter, etc. If anyone else has any ideas, dump them on me pls.

VBA #02442
VROC Member

Old 11-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #43
Advanced Member

1-800-PROGRESSIVE
I've never used the roadside service, it could be a total mess for for your circumstance.
Regardless, I just noticed you can get a web quote based on zip code and VIN - might be worth checking out;
http://www.progressive.com/motorcycl...cle-insurance/

Last edited by id-man; 11-25-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #44

Your fuel pump and coils gets fire when you turn the power switch on (button on your right handle bar). Your ignition switch gets its power from the white wire that is on the 30 amp fuse in the start relay (under the coolant tank on the right side). The gray wire from your ignition switch to the igniter (black box under the coolant tank) should have reduced voltage around 6.1 volts or it won't crank if the voltage is too high. Search post with my user name Zoom45 and you will find a lot of info similar to your problem.

Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Last edited by zoom45; 11-25-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by id-man View Post
This is on my Progressive MOTORCYCLE policy. I quizzed the rep about it at the time and she was firm that it applied to motorcycles as well. It is entirely possible she was clueless, so I just went and looked it up again and I guess she wasn't wrong. Here's a blurb from Progressive's site:
  • Roadside Assistance — If your motorcycle breaks down, Roadside Assistance will pay to tow it to the nearest qualified repair facility. Roadside Assistance also covers the necessary labor costs at the place of breakdown when your motorcycle or off-road vehicle is disabled due to any of the following:
  • Mechanical or electrical breakdown
  • Dead battery
  • Flat tire
  • Lockout
  • Insufficient supply of fuel, oil, water, or other fluids
  • Entrapment in snow, mud, water, or sand within 100 feet of the roadway
Now granted that's to the nearest repair shop, not 30 miles to another city, but if a person had that coverage it'd be a great start to getting home (pun).
That is good to know. It's better than most insurance companies will do.

I'm glad Flo is taking care of you.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium