Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #16
Top Contributor

Here's one. The listing shows your 2001. I ordered this same exact battery for my 2006 Nomad just a couple of months ago.

Check the dimensions of your existing battery and compare them to this one just to be sure.

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...-p/4053347.htm

The dimensions of my old battery are:

L = 5 13/16"
W = 3 5/16"
H = 6 1/2"

These are the dimensions listed on one of the websites for the battery in the link:

L = 6"
W = 3 7/16"
H = 6 3/8"

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 11-22-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabrat View Post
OK, the result is in...I need a new battery. Crap. Thank you. Since it sounded like everything was ok and I use a charger 3-4 times p/week, I thought all was fine.

Should I get an auto-charger that is hooked up all the time and auto cuts off when it's not needed?
A perfect example of why I don't believe in keeping a charger on your battery all the time, you won't know your battery is going south till you are some miles from home. For long term storage a tender is good, but a good battery should have no problem starting a bike that has been sitting for 2-3 weeks or more.

You ask if you should get a charger that shuts off when not needed, does this mean what you are hooking up now does not stop charging or go into float mode?
If that is the case, you didn't do your battery any favours. Continually charging a battery that doesn't need charging will eventually cook it.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 11-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
Advanced Member

I have the same year carbed bike as you and around the first of this year I upgraded my battery to the YTX20CH-BS like a lot of guys have done. Got mine from BatteryMart.com for $89 with free shipping. This battery will be a lot stronger battery than the original YTZ16 that the 2001 carbed Nomads came with.

Don Denman "JD"
2001 Luminous Vintage Red carbed 1500 Nomad
VBA #376
VROC #6195

Old 11-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #19

UPDATE: PLEASE HELP

replaced battery today, but still does same thing. I put dielectric grease on my rear right sparkplug post 2 days ago and was careful not to get on the ceramic. This couldn't be the result right?

My plan is to fill up with gas tomorrow. I looked and there's an inch in the tank,, so I doubt that's it, although my meter is past E. I could try removing right dog bowl and plate to spray starting fluid in the carb. Good or bad idea? What else guys? Please give me instructions with suggestions

If this doesn't work, is there anyone close to me that would be willing to trailer my bike to canton?

VBA #02442
VROC Member
PGR (Patriot Guard Riders)
MMCI (Masonic Motorcycle Club International)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Author Unknown

01 Kaw Nomad 1500 (Vintage Red)

Old 11-24-2013, 06:46 AM   #20

Use carb clnr not starting fluid !If it does start You can evan run it on a light mist of carb clnr . This also works on inj motors.Hope this helps. I also have same year and color as Your Bike Carbed model.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #21

Give it a shot of gas or starter fluid in the throat of the carb, if it runs for a couple seconds and quits, you will then know that the problem is fuel related.
Perhaps your carb is dirty, or water in the fuel, it could be one of many problems causing this.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 11-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #22

Normally you can't get every bit of gas out of a tank before you run out, could be it.
Here are a few ideas to trouble shoot and the order I would go about them if it were me. If spraying a bit of fuel in the carb gets it to fire then half the mystery is solved.
On a carbed Nomad is there a petcock, if so have you checked that it isn't shut off? Does the fuel pump normally cycle when you turn the key like the FI models do, if so can you hear it doing it? Have you checked that the carb has not come loose on the boot?

If you get no action from fuel being sprayed directly in the carb throat then your looking at electrical. You bought a new battery, from where, was it fully charged, did you check it's voltage and or charge it before installing?
Try jumping it with a known good battery ( car should not be running).
Try jiggling the ign, might be a bad contact in there. Remove the plugs and see if they look wet, if so you are either flooded or have weak/ no spark. Ground a plug to the motor and look for a good strong spark.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 11-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #23
Advanced Member

an inch of gas in the gas tank? so maybe that's why it won't start... no gas

Old 11-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #24
Advanced Member

and using 93 fuel is a bad idea

Old 11-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #25

Why is using 93 octane a bad idea? My bike calls for it and I use it all the time.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 11-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #26
Advanced Member

Since there's just an inch in the tank, if you haven't already done so, try turning the petcock under the left side of the tank to "reserve" so it can reach that one inch of gas.
I have a trailer and could help you get it to Canton if all else fails, but I won't be able to do it until Monday due to other commitments today (Sunday). PM me if you need help getting your bike to the shop.

Don Denman "JD"
2001 Luminous Vintage Red carbed 1500 Nomad
VBA #376
VROC #6195

Old 11-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #27

Thanks everyone. I will check fuel pump (humming) and see if fuel gauge moves when I turn on the ignition. Also will check plugs. If all good, will remove tank and check carb boot (maybe I knocked it almost off while messing with water/coolant pipe, then came off completely at work???). Will check connections/hosts again. Then spray starter fluid, then add gas. If everything fails jd01, will leave it and pm you.

VBA #02442
VROC Member

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Author Unknown

Old 11-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #28
Advanced Member

Good luck. Rooting for you.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #29

Didn't work. No fuel pump hum. Sprayed starting fluid made it crank and rev way up then it died. Thinks this points to a crapped out fuel pump. Checked and double checked connections. Added fuel. Checked plugs. Neutral switch works. Ignition switch seems to be ok. Getting a buddy to trailer it home

VBA #02442
VROC Member

Old 11-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #30

I just realized that your bike is carbed, you won't hear the fuel pump whine, thats only on FI bikes. You do have a fuel pump I beleive, but that may not be your problem.
Since it revved up on the shot of starter fluid it does appear that you do have a fuel problem of some sort.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951