Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #211

Yeah, I read that too. My 2002 fires up in any weather as long as the battery is charged. Weird.. I love the FI bikes and I dont have any mods on mine...YET.
I have gone out in 3 layers of clothes and turned the key, let it cycle and on the first or second bump it fires right up. Love it. I didnt enjoy the freezing ride to work, but I did know it was gonna start every time.

Glad your issue has been resolved Bama.

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaysob View Post
mine has had zero issues firing in cold weather.

Your 2008 1600 FI nomad???

VBA #02442
VROC Member
PGR (Patriot Guard Riders)
MMCI (Masonic Motorcycle Club International)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Author Unknown

01 Kaw Nomad 1500 (Vintage Red)

Old 03-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #213

I think he was referring to Sam's post about his 2002 FI bike not firing in cold weather...

(my 02 nomad 1500fi wont start at temps lower than about 55 degrees)..but I'm old -frost bit..heat stroked..crippled up, and dont try to ride in the cold...

David Hollinger
VBA # 02195

Old 03-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhollinger View Post
I think he was referring to Sam's post about his 2002 FI bike not firing in cold weather...

(my 02 nomad 1500fi wont start at temps lower than about 55 degrees)..but I'm old -frost bit..heat stroked..crippled up, and dont try to ride in the cold...
ahhh! thanks David for clarifying. That makes sense. Since my carb cleaning and changing the float level, mine fires up. Today it was 36 and it turned over twice, maybe 3 times before firing? I keep it in my garage so it's fairly warm until I back it out to fire it up. But in the afternoon, after sitting in the parking lot all day (under my all-weather cover), it can be difficult to crank when it's been in the 30's all day long. It fires no problem, but then I have to use the choke to keep it running long enough for it to warm up.

VBA #02442
VROC Member

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Author Unknown

Old 03-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #215

Is all this justs the INITIAL firing? Like if we rode 100 miles together and stopped for fuel, it would be fine right?
My friend this weekend hadnt ridden her bike for about a year. She got it all going again and the first time we stopped it was HARD to restart. After that she was good all day. Just needed the soot blown out and ridden hard a while.

David Hollinger
VBA # 02195

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #216

yeah, just initial start-up. when the bike warms up, it's fine after that. It's never had any problem starting when warm. The problems have been after sitting for 8+ hours.

VBA #02442
VROC Member

Old 03-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #217

..I will re-comment about cold start's...My 02 1500fi Nomad is "reluctant to start" on days when temp's are lower than about 50 -55 (f)....tho the coldest morning I ever rode it..was on the range of mountains just west of jackson Hole Wyoming..Big Bro and I had camped at a US Forestry Camp Ground on the west side of the pass, and that morning it was about 35 degree's and "misty"...Surpisingly..my Nomad, started right up ! (I figured it was because we had been riding all day for a couple months..but it does get harder to start after sitting a few day in cooler weather !)

(At home when temp's are around 55(f)..I just set a small electric bathroom heater in front of the engine for 10 minutes and it fires up on the first turn !