Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #1

crazy Starts, dies.

Hey guys, need a little advice. Just rode from Lenoir, NC. to Durham and part way back in the yesterday and today. Bike ran great with no problems all the way down and back to west side of Statesville, where I stopped for fuel. Filled up with 93 Exxon, started bike to leave, died within about 7 seconds. Spent the next 20 minuets with same results. Finally called for truck and trailer to get bike home. My thoughts are, 1: I got some bad gas, 2: throttle body dirty, 3: dirty fuel filter, if it has one, 4: something in fuel line, 5: water in fuel. Does not seem to be firing problem. Could it be a fuel pump going bad? Got bike ;home about dark, and have not tried anything yet. Tell me what first step would be for you guys that have all the knowledge about these nomads, please. Thanks in advance.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
I would suspect a fuel problem as you have listed. Not sure how to advise on troubleshooting. Hopefully Mac or MT will jump in here with great how to directions.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 10-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #3

I would ck the battery connections do not ask how I know

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 10-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #4

I doubt if the fuel remaining in the fuel lines would have been used up in 7 seconds. If it did die in that short of a time I suspect the Exxon gas never had a chance to reach the injectors.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Old 10-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadtom69 View Post
I would ck the battery connections do not ask how I know
I agree and don't ask me either
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #6

OK, not asking how anyone knows to check battery connections first, but that is what I will check first and will post results later today. Thanks. BTW my name is Roger.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Could be a bad kickstand switch.

Las Vegas, Nv
VBA #02107
2003 Vulcan Nomad 1500
1980 Yamaha Seca 750 (past)
1969 Kawasaki 350 (past)
1967 Pannonia T8 250 (past)
1971 Honda 100 Twin (past)

Old 10-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #8

If it's not the batt connections check the fuel hoses for blockages.

You may have broke some crap loose when you filled up.

MT
VBA 936

Old 10-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Injected nomad what model? It starts and runs how long?

Could be a lot of things.. say its a 1500 and you have 6 keys on a ring and they swing in the key lock it may be the key locks switch itself. If you have passing lamps powered thru that same switch it may be the switch too.

It may be a bad side stand switch a bad clutch switch where just maybe the plug got pulled a smidgen too far.

15's and 16's both have a wire harness chaff problem where the harness turns down behind cly 2 and there is a tie wrap there with a RELEASE on a tab if you look close and it's still stock. The chaff is against the frame so you DO need to pull the tie wrap and move the harness to see.

Fuel pumps whine as they go bad.....

Water in the fuel????????? Dump the tank and see. There is no way we can tell you about that....... it happens and if it did your in a bad place to be as it's going to be hard to get water out of an injection system.

Not knowing what the hell bike I am tawkin' makes it hard for me and the rest of these guys too. and I have CRS...... So I will never remember what you looked like on our last date and I have no idea what color your bike IS

And for that matter what year make and model you have..........

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #10

Thanks for all the posts. Checked and retightened the battery connections. Did not solve problem. Thanks mac for stating obvious, need to know what bike and model.
2007 nomad 1600, completely stock. No running lights, did install triple whammy tail light kit. Have checked the clutch switch, if it is the one at the clutch lever. It is seated tightly. The red light on the left side of the speedo stays on after the first time it dies. Is that telling me there is a problem with the FI system? Won't have any more time to work on this today, but will check whatever you guys think I should check next the first of next week. Thanks all for the advice.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

That red light can indicate many things, from low oil no coolant or over heating, to injection problems. There is a way to set it to read code flashes but so far my 06 and the 01 I had which was stolen never had that sort of problem.

Down Loading the manual if you don't have a paper book should be on your list of To Do's now. I have a paper book since I don't have a lap top/ note book and i can't really move my desk top.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #12

check you fuel pressure or have your dealer check it. Pumps don't all whine before they fail and the 5-6-7-8 year 1600's are prone to having fuel pump problems. Your symptoms fit the pump problem especially the "it was running fine and then what the heck??? it wont run!" type event you experienced. It's actually a integrated sump/pick up/pump/regulator/filter assembly when you buy it from Kaw and the thing is about $600 and you'll have a tough time finding a dealer that stocks them.
The good news is if it is a fuel pressure problem I have a whole assembly off a salvaged 08 with less that 7,000 miles on it that I'll sell you for $275. If you are a wrench you can replace it yourself in about 2 hours. If you aren't and you want me too (I'm in Charlotte so you are close) for $350 and some coffee I will bring it up and put it in for you. PM me or just call 904 476 1108 and ask for Ross. Hurry tho, I am going on Vacation Nov 4th for a couple weeks.
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 10-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #13

When you turn the key do you hear the fuel pump cycle on as the speedo does it's needle sweep? If it cranks, starts, then dies then I would say kick stand and clutch switches can be illuminated as a problem, they cut the starter from turning over the motor.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 10-27-2013, 12:49 AM   #14

trosco --
I think that's one heckuva kind offer on your part! Imagine: a mechanic who makes house calls!!!

Illegitimati non carborundum
-
Gen. Joseph Stilwell

1999 VN 1500 Nomad

Old 10-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #15

Trosco, thanks for the offer. Can hear the pump cycle when key is turned on, so don't think it is a pump problem. Beginning to think something in line somewhere. Will continue checking a time allows and let everyone know what I find when found. Thanks for the offer to come to my house if needed.

Roger