Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE View Post
Bill, I took the bracket that the left stock backing plate used, and cut the lower part off, smoothed it out then painted it black. I then took the HD horn's mounting post and rotated it 180* and mounted it to the modified stock bracket, and re-routed the horn wires and plugged the HD horn in. Works great, and is substantially louder than the stock beeper.

Oh yeah.............. I like the look of the stock fender too!
Thanks for that info. I'll file that tidbit away.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #32

Bill very very nice. What backrest is that and is it effective? I would like to remove my sissy bar, pad and luggage rack but the driver b-rest that I have is real tall a bakup I think is what it is -- it works good but a bit tall and I don't see any way to lower it.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #33

Bill, You nailed it!! Great Work.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by whozyer View Post
Bill very very nice. What backrest is that and is it effective? I would like to remove my sissy bar, pad and luggage rack but the driver b-rest that I have is real tall a bakup I think is what it is -- it works good but a bit tall and I don't see any way to lower it.
I wanted a back rest just high enough to support my lower back but nobody builds one so I built it myself. The pad is off a a Harley Low profile passenger back rest. The fender attachment came from a Vulcan drivers backrest a buddy bought on ebay. The bracket that joins them together I made out of 1/8 x 1 inch flatstock.
I bet I have 20 hours into this stupid thing getting it just right!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #35

Quote:
Bill, I took the bracket that the left stock backing plate used, and cut the lower part off, smoothed it out then painted it black. I then took the HD horn's mounting post and rotated it 180* and mounted it to the modified stock bracket, and re-routed the horn wires and plugged the HD horn in. Works great, and is substantially louder than the stock beeper.

Oh yeah.............. I like the look of the stock fender too!
I did the same thing when I switched my intake out.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #36

Hey Bill,,
I am so impressed with how great that wheel looks I decided to do mine this winter. Just scored a wheel on Ebay and am going to use a 130/70-18 Dunlop E3 tire, it's real close to the OEM tire height but narrow enough to take the corners well. Also think instead of cutting my axle spacers I'll machine some new ones out of stainless. NICE !!!!

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 12-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #37

Bill, that wheel looks great. Super job.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
Hey Bill,,
I am so impressed with how great that wheel looks I decided to do mine this winter. Just scored a wheel on Ebay and am going to use a 130/70-18 Dunlop E3 tire, it's real close to the OEM tire height but narrow enough to take the corners well. Also think instead of cutting my axle spacers I'll machine some new ones out of stainless. NICE !!!!
There's some nice looking conical spacers on EBay I've been thinking of adapting to this set up. They hide the wheel bearing, makes for a cleaner look. I don't know what the length is though. They may have to be shimmed or cut down. If they're too long it wouldn't be worth the hassle of cutting them down...unless you have access to a machine shop.

Here's a link--> http://www.ebay.com/itm/281157680599...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtelefoneman1 View Post
Bill, that wheel looks great. Super job.
Thanks! 6000 miles now and no problems or regrets.

Last edited by Vulcan Bill; 12-26-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Bill View Post
There's some nice looking conical spacers on EBay I've been thinking of adapting to this set up. They hide the wheel bearing, makes for a cleaner look. I don't know what the length is though. They may have to be shimmed or cut down. If they're too long it wouldn't be worth the hassle of cutting them down...unless you have access to a machine shop.

Here's a link--> http://www.ebay.com/itm/281157680599...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks! 6000 miles now and no problems or regrets.

Nice idea Bill, I just happen to be a Machinist with my own CNC Shop. Let me know if you need something sometime. I do both CNC Lathe and Millwork.

2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
VBA # 2395

Old 12-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #40

Well thanks very much for that offer. I will "thumbtack" it to my shop bulletin board!

Old 12-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #41

Hey dshelly...

Let me know how those spacers go. I may have a wheel secured, and would be interested in a set if you make some.

Lemme know

Old 12-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownoma99 View Post
Hey dshelly...

Let me know how those spacers go. I may have a wheel secured, and would be interested in a set if you make some.

Lemme know

OK, Just debating what to make them out of. , probably Stainless and then polish em.

By the way, are you going to mill the lower forks? I'm thinking of an alternative method. Maybe narrow the wheel where the Rotors bolt on. Then I don't have to cut my lower forks and the caliper can stay in the same position.

2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
VBA # 2395

Old 12-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
OK, Just debating what to make them out of. , probably Stainless and then polish em.

By the way, are you going to mill the lower forks? I'm thinking of an alternative method. Maybe narrow the wheel where the Rotors bolt on. Then I don't have to cut my lower forks and the caliper can stay in the same position.
Either way should work! I opted to have my tabs shaved because I have to pay a shop to do my work and it seemed it would be much less expensive. Besides, my bike had a leaking fork seal which necessitated the removing of the lower legs. That led to the wheel project...and polishing the lowers...and new caliper seals...and chrome caliper covers...and braided line sleeves...and.....$$$

Old 01-01-2014, 09:04 AM   #44

Bill, I just read thru this entire thread again, and again, I must say WOW............. That still looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I like what you've done with it.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 01-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #45

Quote:
Bill, I just read thru this entire thread again, and again, I must say WOW............. That still looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I like what you've done with it.
Thanks Cliff! 6000 miles on the wheel mod now with no problems or regrets. I need to update my pictures though. I have a hypercharger intake now that I've modified from butterfly to perferated mesh intake making it full time ram air. I modified it because apparently I can't leave well enough alone and have to meddle with everything like a kid in a sandbox playing with his toys