Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #1

Oil Filter/What a hassle!

Doing an oil change didn't want to go to the dealer, went to our maintenance blog and looked up the filters also went to Gadget's site, you know to double check. All good! I was going to go with either Purolator One PL14610, Mobil1-M1-110 or Bosch 3323 or Walmart ST 7317. First of all Walmart doesn't stock the 7317 here, then I read Purolator was great but there might be a flow/pressure problem, why take a chance? then it was between Mobil 1 M1-110 or Bosch 3323, all the above being longer than stock ( I have no bladder, added the baggers) so there's room. Ok I'm all set its one or the other, well I go to Advance Auto (local) and tell them my Make Year and Model (07, Nomad) they say sorry we don't list those filters only the Fram will fit yours, you must be mistaken about those filters. I went to Auto Zone they looked it up again, another blank stare! In the end I looked at Mobil and Bosch side by side and although they are both evidently made by Champion I wound up buying the Mobil 1-110, of course it was the more expensive one. Any thoughts or insight, opinions.
Thanks
PS, Choosing an oil filter, what a hassle, it used to be a lot easier, I'm retired and have obviously too much time on my hands!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #2

I simply use the OEM filter, you can check the price at http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/. I've used that website before with no problems to report.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
Advanced Member

First, Gadget's site has these listed as will FIT from years of others experience. It does not mean that THEY ARE listed by any company to fit, so that needs to be addressed.

If you go to the auto parts store and say. "Which oil filter fits my....." they will look up in a book for that filter that the manufacturer has determined works for yours (say FRAM) and list that one.

If I tell you that the Mazda Miata (first gen for the 1.6L engine) filter works (slightly longer) don't go to a Mazda dealer and expect them to know or tell you that filter will work on you Nomad

So if they don't stock those other filter numbers you mention, fine, but they will never tell you they fit your bike, they don't know PERIOD.

And for what it is worth, I get mine either from the local bike dealer or Canadian Tire (same filter, same box) and lately the bike dealer has them for the same price (they use to be almost 5.00 more!!!).

Hence that is the reason Gadget put together that list to help a brotha out, where there aren't too many dealers or bike shops. If you live in an area that is not well supported by either, then you could buy them on line in bulk and keep a few on hand to do oil changes down the road.

Scott

Old 02-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott (ve3hzz)
And for what it is worth, I get mine either from the local bike dealer or Canadian Tire (same filter, same box) and lately the bike dealer has them for the same price (they use to be almost 5.00 more!!!).

Scott
Scott, what filter are you buying from Canadian Tire?
Thanks.
E.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
Advanced Member

I will have to look it up, as I started getting them from local bike shop once the price dropped. I'd rather give them that business to help them out. I think CTC normally has the Fram PH6017A but they did carry the same I got at the bike shop (at least my store did) they are in a black and green box. Can't remember but they are bike brand filter that most local bike shops sell and are good quality, just can't think of the name.

I do remember looking at BOTH and they are identical. My Miata filters would work (slightly longer) if I didn't have the goats bladder in the way for the threads to spin ON. Just not enough clearance to get it in there. If I change it to a dutch pipe I may use those as there about the same price as either of the other 2 and could buy a few and know I always have one on hand for either to change oil in.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #6

I went to advance auto. The guy there said he uses the Purolator pl14610 on his HD. I bought one and looked it up on the internet. The Pure One model seems to be rated pretty well by everyone. So I picked up another one and should be fixed up for quite a while.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #7

Since Wal Mart doesn't carry the ST 7317 in your area I would just order a half dozen over the internet and keep a few on your shelf. My Wal Mart only charges $2.77 per filter. Been using them for 3 years.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 02-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney
Since Wal Mart doesn't carry the ST 7317 in your area I would just order a half dozen over the internet and keep a few on your shelf. My Wal Mart only charges $2.77 per filter. Been using them for 3 years.
Hi Schoeney,

$2.77 per filter? I'm gonna pick up a few ST 7317 from a US Walmart and if we ever meet in person I'll buy a pint of your favorite.

Thanks,

Elvis

P.S. what is your interval for changing the oil filter?

Old 02-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #9

I use the Super Tech Filters and stock up on them every time I head south. The first time I changed the oil I had to buy a Fram filter at Canadian Tire, it was almost $14.00 with taxes.
Actually I installed the same supertech filter on my daughters car last week, it fits all kinds of vehicles.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #10
Advanced Member

It's my understanding that the ST 7317 filter was made by Champion and was a decent filter.I believe they are now made in Mexico and not the quality as the original Champion.This is something I read on the internet so take it for what it is worth.If the filter is marked "Made in Mexico"I'm not buying any until I do more research.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:04 PM   #11

Im sure it still better than a Fram, that brand has gone down hill and I try to avoid using them at all costs.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #12
Advanced Member

This is starting to turn into a........................OIL THREAD

I didn't want to go there ::)

Let's just say what ever works for you, keep using it!!!!

If your comfortable with 2.77 filters and have no problems fine.

If your comfortable with 14.00 filters and have no problem paying that and have not problems with them fine.

It's all in everyone's opinion and budgets.....the info provided by all as to what filters works, can give some options.

Options are always good.

Scott

Old 02-23-2011, 10:29 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

I use the short version of the Bosch, which is the 3300. Works great and Auto Zone carries them. I also have used the Purolater One. As a matter of fact I have the Purolater on now. Bought it at Advance Auto. Either one is a great filter. No problems from the pressure issue. I have one more Purolater and then I am going back to the Bosch 3300. I change oil and filter at 3,000 miles or less. When I change this time I won't have 2,000 miles on the oil and filter but I have the months.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 02-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #14

Upside, I was going to go with the Purolator and then read a blog about the pressure on a car being different than the bike, there seems to be a question of flow. Not sure where I read it, sorry, anyway search it on the net and you will find it, I'll look again and post it when I find it.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #15

www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?8509-Purolator-PureONE-PL-Model-Filters-NOT-for-Motorcycles
Purolator: PureONE PL Model Filters NOT for Motorcycles

I just got off the phone with Purolator and was trying to find a sales distributor for their PureONE filters in the Toronto area...this is what their tech support advised me about their filters:

1) Purolator PureONE PL14610 oil filter is a automotive oil filter ONLY and is NOT tested OR recommended by them for motorcycle application. They stated that the type of filter paper used is not acceptable for motorcycle engines and also that they have too high a pressure drop.

2) Purolator PureONE ML16817 is their recommended ST1300 motorcycle filter, which thay stated is 96% efficient at 30 micron (They say this is a very respectable efficiency).

I wanted to post this as it seems disconcerting to me especially with so many people in these forums posting that they use a PureONE PL model car oil filter.