Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #91
Sr. Contributor

Ayha' Yousin's got funny accents too and face to face about all we could do is grin, drink cold beer and wonder what the each other say'ad....

But then we could sit side by side and text to understand. LOL

Oncet I lived in the deep south, and then they called me briars for the way i tawk. It didn't bother me, as it took all the 2 years I was there to find just that much out.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #92
Advanced Member

Mac knows what he's talking about. My 02 Nomad burns regular fuel without pinging and without carbonizing up the the heads and plugs.

I started out in 03 putting on a power commander III. That's ok if your have a dyno or have access to one, but if not you will spend a fortune on getting it set right. After using a laptop for years trying to get it set right I gave up. I bought a Dobeck TFI. Amazing the difference. My setting on the TFI 3,2,1,9. That can vary depending on your TPS setting.

I had already removed all the EPA crap. I removed the fast idle solenoids. Set the idle to a proper level, around 850 RPM. I De-carbonized the cylinders with seafoam deep creep, changed the plugs, cleaned the throttle body and filled it with regular 87 octane. That was 10,000 miles ago. No pinging and no carbonizing.

This bike is like a different machine. Idles great. Better response. 38-40 MPG. No stalling on take off. I stopped using 15w 50 Mobil and went to 10w 40 Mobil 1. Much easier starting. Quieter at start up because the top end gets oil faster.

My belief is that they come set way too lean to get past the EPA. That's why they say to burn 91 octane. The dealers will never fix the problem. They love the money they make off of people that bring their bikes to them because they won't idle and run correctly. All they do is clean the throttle body and de-carbonize them and give them a bill. Like most riders they don't ride enough to need it again till next year so they repeat the process. I've hung around a dealer enough to hears this patten repeated.

Just my experience. Hope it helps someone.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 08-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #93

Glad someone else is burning regular but I have no TFI... weird.

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Old 08-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
Ayha' Yousin's got funny accents too and face to face about all we could do is grin, drink cold beer and wonder what the each other say'ad....

But then we could sit side by side and text to understand. LOL

Oncet I lived in the deep south, and then they called me briars for the way i tawk. It didn't bother me, as it took all the 2 years I was there to find just that much out.
I am all about grinning and drinking cold beer!!

David Hollinger
VBA # 02195

Old 08-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #95
Advanced Member

Weird:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhollinger View Post
Glad someone else is burning regular but I have no TFI... weird.
I bet if you put in a TFI and tuned it properly you would really like how much better it would run. I know it fixed mine.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jllm02199 View Post
I bet if you put in a TFI and tuned it properly you would really like how much better it would run. I know it fixed mine.
No doubt, but in the middle of moving and buying a house.. I dont think the wife will consider that expendable income at this time. Maybe later, and I have heard that it makes the bike harder to start..?? Mine fires on the 2nd push on the button most of the time until recently and I like that.

David Hollinger
VBA # 02195

Old 08-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhollinger View Post
No doubt, but in the middle of moving and buying a house.. I dont think the wife will consider that expendable income at this time. Maybe later, and I have heard that it makes the bike harder to start..?? Mine fires on the 2nd push on the button most of the time until recently and I like that.
I put a TFI on and it actually made mine easier to start. Of course, while I was in there messing around with the install, I cleaned the throttle body really good... maybe that was it.

Seriously, though... I've never had an issue with start up with my TFI installed.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 08-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #98
Sr. Contributor

My 06 starts on the 2nd comp stroke Boom! when it's cold. It starts a tad slower hot if I just shut it off and wish I didn't, and start it again in less than 120 seconds.

That reason is the heat is not getting LOST since coolant stopped moving. It's first set of new plugs helped too, along with a TB cleaning and a new cotton air filter. Imagine 28,500 and the same plugs all that time, and still the first set look excellent still.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #99

I cleaned the TB about 3 days ago. It really didnt need it. I put new plugs in last month and the old ones still looked good. Not sure if its the battery or starter but some mornings it just wants to drag. Usually 2 taps on the button and occasionaly a 3rd gets me going. Maybe i need to up the idle..??

David Hollinger
VBA # 02195

Old 08-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #100
Sr. Contributor

How old and what kind of battery is it? I still have my battery that came with the bike off the show room floor but i am starting to play games with to since it should be long gone. I am going to try and make it go until it won't.

I was going to say if your trip meter and clock seem to get rest often then the battery is doomed for sure.

The bike needs a good battery to start. These little batteries are working hard to power up the lights, the ECU both coils, the stators, field coils, which is somewhere around 10 amps draw before you press start and that needs another 365 AMPS all from a !8 Amp Hour battery.

IMO idle RPM should be 900 +/- 50, reality should be 925 RPM.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #101

I replaced the battery last year. I forget whats in there. I also bought a tender after your first post to me when I joined the forum. The damn tender died after a few months and i havent replaced it. I have the driving lights and I leave them on all the time so i know that is extra pull for the battery,. maybe I should turn those off until after the bike is started. The problem is I keep tryiing to start it up as soon as the key is turned on. I need to let it cycle thru. When I do that it resets the trip and clock. I can go months without doing it and nothing gets reset. but the one time i am in a hurry and press the starter in the middle of the cycle, it kills it. ???

David Hollinger
VBA # 02195