Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #121

Oil Filter/What a hassle!

I think I need to get the bike on the road. It's warm and sunny and the City is cleaning up the winter sand dumps. I am done with winter maintenance.

Use whatever floats your boat but there are good suggestions here based on actual experience. I use Hi-flo (Made in Thailand) filters. The 303 model because it is a little longer and easier to get off versus the 204. Yes, K&N uses Hi-flo so I don't see the point there myself.

I am over the whole, where it's made thing myself. It is a world market now and Made in USA or Canada does not mean a lot any more. I remember reading up on labelling a while back and the cord on the toaster may qualify it for made in Canada. A lot of it is mostly BS. I try to stick to small business owners as highlighted on this forum like Chuckster who do make stuff.

Made in the USA and Canada is coming back so don't count that out. As China prospers their costs will go up. My son's company is manufacturing less in China now because of the transportation costs. They are looking at Michigan and California because our dollar is strong and there are plants and qualified people there that want to work. I also know someone who is moving assembly and distribution to Nevada.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #122
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad38028
I also run premium gas in my bike. My bike is for pleasure and not for transportation, so I guess you could say it's a toy. That being said I don't mind the extra cost of premium gas, $13.00 oil filters and $200 dollar tires. If I bought a 100 thousand dollar boat, you can bet your sweet butt I'll pay for a private slip too. It's all in the cost of ownership.

I'm not here to knock anybody's decision to shop for a bargin but advising others here to do anything but what's in the manual is, well, not good advise IMO.

For instance: I understand some of you use synthetic oil. My Kaw dealer said don't, it may effect the wet clutch. many of you say it doesn't, but what's the big deal in using Kaw oil in a Kaw motorcycle? Oil, Engines and technology is so much more advanced today than 20 yrs ago and I have great confidence in regular brand name oil.
With all due respect. Seems to me we had a member looking for input and we gave it him. No harm there.

If I relied on the owners manual for everything I would be missing alot of great suggestions by other members. Like better light bulbs, Pledge, debaffle, Darkside, use of the second drain plugs, gutting the goat belly, etc. I have chosen to do a few of these things, but not all.

Some of the fun in using this website is to learn new/better ways and getting different opinions. Nobody is forcing us to use them.

Buying a $3 oil filter that has been on the market for years, and used by many bike owners and is designed by a filter company to, well, FILTER OIL, is hardly going out on a limb and taking a big risk.

We ride Nomads so we a not expected to follow the pack. ;)

Heck, if anyone feels better about a filter because it is $10 more, or they like the color, or the design, etc....I like hearing their opinions. I am not above changing my mind if it makes sense to me. But there is no way I would tell them it is bad advise just because it is not in the manual.

If it was a matter of affordabilty I wouldn't be using synthetic oil ! What a rebel I am

Your dealer is half right...if you buy the WRONG KIND of synthetic oil it could harm your wet clutch.

CJ: If cutting corners is buying the less expensive and time proven item, all of us cut the biggest corner when we bought our Nomads. Now did you cut corners by not buying armored jeans or gloves before your spill? Shame on you! ;) Glad you are OK.

OK...now let's cut to the chase....it is 1am, I am on a caffeine buzz, bored and sitting at the computer...got a little wordy. Shall we now talk about $49 tires?
Since you made this personal... No, I wasn't wearing armored jeans for 2 reasons. 1) I was coming from work and we have a dress code. 2) I never considered wearing them in the first place, and after my crash I still don't.

Saying all of us cut corners when we bought a Nomad is ludicrous. Not everyone can afford a more expensive motorcycle. That's like saying the neighbor cut corners by buying a Chevy instead of a BMW. The cheap SOB!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #123

You made my point.....I never considered buying a more expensive filter either because I found one that worked for me even though there maybe other ones out there that do more. No corners cut.

P.S. Didn't intend to rattle your cage by using the armored jeans analogy. You know I am very appreciative of your input and am very happy you escaped that ordeal without any major injuries. Now back to March Madness!
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina