Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #151
Top Contributor

Darkside

I doubt if the average insurance adjustor would even know the difference between a car tire and a motorcycle tire.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-04-2009, 08:11 PM   #152

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawhead
I'M ONE OF US!!!!! I'M ONE OF US NOW!!!!!!!!! RESISTING THE DARK SIDE IS FUTILE!!!!!;D Man this Dunlop SP 5K is another reason I love my Nomad even more! :-* :-* :-* The Metz I had on was a great tire may it rest in peace, but, the SP 5K made it a hole nother bike.
Another happy Dunlop user...great to hear, mine should be here this week, then I just need to get it mounted (doing it myself too).

Great to hear another happy user on this tire, I have been having second thoughts every now and then since I ordered it.
I tell ya' THEY AIN'T NOTHIN' IN THIS WORLD LIKE MOUNTIN' IT YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!(Or anything for that matter) It took me longer and it would have been muuuuuuuuuch simpler and a heck of a lot easier to beg an acquaintance of mine to to it. But the effervesce feeling of doing it yourself last for at least 12 hrs. and counting that I know of. Now I know how the guys at the tire store feel at the end of the day. Them lucky bas.........

Well I took 'er out for another spin with the psi lowed to 32 and oooooooo my heavens........me and my beloved Nomad and the sunset over the North Carolina Foothills................anyway I finally scraped the floor board........starboard side.

I need to mention that you might spill about 50 or 60 of them Dyna Beads. But don't worry, it happens.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 04-05-2009, 09:05 AM   #153
Sr. Contributor

Darkside

Quote:
I'M ONE OF US!!!!! I'M ONE OF US NOW!!!!!!!!! RESISTING THE DARK SIDE IS FUTILE!!!!!;D Man this Dunlop SP 5K is another reason I love my Nomad even more! :-* :-* :-* The Metz I had on was a great tire may it rest in peace, but, the SP 5K made it a hole nother bike.

I chose to go ahead and dismount the old tire and mount the new tire. Now it was tough and I dinged the rim in a couple places. In the end I'm glad for the experience. I'll chalk up the dings to evidence of my signature custom work.

I took it out first time with the air pressure to high (38psi) and it had me concerned . I pulled over and went to 33psi and she handled so smooth. I put 40 miles on her befor I knew it and didn't want to quit. And I have to mention that I used 2oz of Dyna Beads and added a set of 11" Progressive HD 440 shocks. I hardly do any aggressive riding, but I did push it as far as I was comfortable with and didn't scape the floor boards.

I have to add my most sincere THANK YOU to all of you fella's who shared this information with me and the rest of us. I have a lot of respect for you and your thoughts, because when I discuss these ideas with the bunch (@SSholes) I ride with or know they chastised me for for reading and trusting internet fairytale B.S.! Believe me, I always knew who the B.S. artist were. Had I been listening to them I would have a HD, or a Wing, or a Beamer. They are alright I guess but I tend to think outside of the box sometimes and it drives them crazy.

I glad to know there's a bunch of folks out here that share the same passion for the same bike that I am so fond of. The more work that I do to my Nomad to make it a better bike the more I can understand how Trip came to form this organization.
Are you looking for more karma with all that shmooze?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #154
Sr. Contributor

Darkside

Uh oh.... the lower the psi the better you will like cornering. It is like you are glued to a invisable rail on the road, almost magnetic, but don't go lower! Not yet any way.

Go look for a higher speed wobble, and see if you have it. You jjust might not since you have new shocks.

I hope not, but you need to know.

So go ripping right up to a indicated 80 mph and chop the throttle off fast. See if there is any rear end wobble, and if not try it again on a good road to be certain. I was at 28psi both times when it happened to me.

Neither time was it anything like severe, but it did get my attention.

If you get it add some throttle and it will even out and stop the wiggle.. then add more air. I run 36 to 38, and think the digital gauges reading out 0.5 psi are best, and I aim at 36.5 cold.

Another point I never really made was the tire didn't have 50 miles on it at these times..
.................................................. .................................................. ...

Did you service the swingarm? What was the factory grease in there like? How is the U joint?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 04-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #155

Darkside

I believe I had 'er up to 80 with no wobble. I have the socks up to the second notch. what ever that means. That and I have about 75lbs on you mac. But just to make sure I'm 'bout to go for another ride to make sure.

Yeah I did the swing arm service last January and found the same as every body else. They are very stingy wiff the grease. The hole tube where the bearings sit was filthy and rusty and after I cleaned it up, I put a grease fitting on the swing arm and filled the tube with grease. I should never have a problem there. I also greased the splines and checked the final drive. The stock U-joint was in great shape.

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #156
Sr. Contributor

Darkside

The shock settings as I, II, III, and IIII are hydralic relief valve settings, where it gets harder and harder for the oil to flow thru valving. It has nothing to do with springs like it did on older bikes.

To gain any lift you add air. I typically run II and 0 psi solo, and with a pillon anoubt my own weight 145/ 150 I might run III and 0 psi.

Now add that pillon and a trailer and I will run 14 to 24 psi in the shocks and set to III unless the road is all pot holes, then I go to II..

I have the trailer from my stolen 01 still ,but haven't the hitch yet.

It is more likely I will forget and ask about the swong arm service again. I had a bad U joint with 22,000 miles on the 01, and I know what will happen if it goes to hell in a hand basket.

I don't want to see that happen to anyone ever.. I could care aless if all you guys want to make hard tails out of a Nomad by lack of grease in the swingarm, it's yer all's butts, not mine, but I sure don't want to read about a guy crashing backwards...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 04-05-2009, 10:03 PM   #157

Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Quote:

I chose to go ahead and dismount the old tire and mount the new tire. Now it was tough and I dinged the rim in a couple places. In the end I'm glad for the experience. I'll chalk up the dings to evidence of my signature custom work.

I took it out first time with the air pressure to high (38psi) and it had me concerned . I pulled over and went to 33psi and she handled so smooth. I put 40 miles on her befor I knew it and didn't want to quit. And I have to mention that I used 2oz of Dyna Beads and added a set of 11" Progressive HD 440 shocks. I hardly do any aggressive riding, but I did push it as far as I was comfortable with and didn't scape the floor boards.

I have to add my most sincere THANK YOU to all of you fella's who shared this information with me and the rest of us. I have a lot of respect for you and your thoughts, because when I discuss these ideas with the bunch (@SSholes) I ride with or know they chastised me for for reading and trusting internet fairytale B.S.! Believe me, I always knew who the B.S. artist were. Had I been listening to them I would have a HD, or a Wing, or a Beamer. They are alright I guess but I tend to think outside of the box sometimes and it drives them crazy.

I glad to know there's a bunch of folks out here that share the same passion for the same bike that I am so fond of. The more work that I do to my Nomad to make it a better bike the more I can understand how Trip came to form this organization.
Are you looking for more karma with all that shmooze?
One would surly think so wouldn't one? No that was a heart felt sincere thanks to everybody who shares thought and ideas about our beloved Nomads. You know sometimes when your out riding especially on your first beautiful day after a not so good winter and you meet other riders at a store or stop and you talk about everything and exchange compliments about bikes? Well I told about the CT and where I got the info from and all. And at the end you both tell each other a warm "Be careful". Well the sun is setting over the mountains and you know its time to head home. The bike is handling so well and you don't want to be anywhere else, but in that moment, right there forever. And part of the reason is because we share thoughts and ideas about a bike we all adore. SEE YOU MAKIG ME LOOK LIKE I'M BUCKING FOR OTHER CARMA MAC!!! That's how my day wound up yesterday. Sometimes thanks are due and that's what all that was about

I'm at 33 psi and it handles like a dream. The weather is suppose to turn tomorrow and get colder but I'm going to lower it another poud and see what happens. It's going to have to get pretty d@ng cold for me not to ride.

The second notch on the shock were on my new 440 Progressive's. I should have toll you that. I need to go down another notch on that to.

I don't mind you harping on on the u-joint at all. It's a good idea actually. You ought to hear me harping about DEER in the rut in the winter months. It use to be cute and we use to chastise each other 'bout not riding and "being deer skeerd". Now I tell 'em it ain't fun getting hurt and picking up pieces of you bike after you hit one, if your that lucky! Just because the "crowd wants you to ride. ::)

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

Old 04-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #158
Sr. Contributor

Darkside

"""""One would surly think so wouldn't one?"""""""

Well there Big Fella you don't need ta' go n' get all 'SURLY' about karma !

LOL I am sittin here in a fit LMAO

That last bit was a heart felt diatribe if ever there was one too! I thought I was the only fool who did that sorta thing..

I am joking around and hope you know that... I was yesterday too.... I do hear ya on a hard winter...

And OH! I forgot you said you got new shocks, not stock .... My info is totally useless ... i do that, because we have CRS in the water..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 04-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #159

Darkside

I drink well water down here so there might be a hole bunch a letters floating 'round in that stuff. The government laces the municipal water with subservient chemicals to make you vote certain ways apply for public assistance. It's good for a relaxing buzz after a long ride like I had. It tends to make you philosophical.

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

Old 04-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #160
Sr. Contributor

Darkside

Oh Lawdy I ain't on no Govt water! It comes up right out of the ground in the front lawn!

I kinda get the idea that is your house in the by line thang, which causes me to be pretty sure I am a tad more rural and remote than most here. probably why my bike is still iced in and I can't even work on it yet.

This is the back road into here, no one really uses except by foot, and where some of my sugar buckets are in the swamp.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 04-07-2009, 01:01 AM   #161

Darkside

Must be nice! I'm kinda rural like that. But after I met my neighbors I'm glad I live here. I'm glad I don't have neighbors like the one you have pictured.

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

Old 04-07-2009, 08:00 AM   #162

Darkside

macmac;I drive way up north here to get a moose, and you have them standing in the road.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #163
Sr. Contributor

Darkside

Well 'we' can't have everything, and I suffer with cold wet snow to get moose.

Where I live is inside a long since abandoned horse race track. 3/4ers of the drive way is 3/4ers of the oval, and that section is the last quarter. When I came here it was filled with dead and down and so I cleared it, for walking, and at the time getting a bike in or out as the surface was a bit better than the rest, but that changed too, and now the long way is the best way in.

The CRS bit is a joke. It means can't remember chit... Some folks like me make claim that it is in the water, but the Govt and my water have nothing to do with one another........yet.

Todd thanks fer puttin up with my Bull Chips.. I pull my little OT stunts elsewhere and get in Dutch fer pullin' it.

Around here I am either dull and boring, or the hot topic I guess, depending on who needs what....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac