Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-31-2016, 01:12 PM   #1

adding bluetooth to the stock radio for $30

hi folks,

Here is how to add bluetooth to your stock radio for Voyager and Vaquero for under $35. First let me stipulate that you must already have the kawasaki K10400-040 iPod adapter kit. If not then this BT setup will cost you about $130 ...but still a great deal!

The Kawi adapter kit has a 30 pin connector for your iPod, so there is a bluetooth receiver for about $30 called "CoolStream Duo BT adapter" (on amazon for $29.99). I tried a few others and this one is by far the best as it has a 30 pin connector and internal battery and charges itself once connected to the iPod adapter kit.

Once connected, just pair your BT device (phone, mp3 player..whatever) to the Coolstream and your all set. Just set the radio to AUX and you can use the handle bar controls for the volume (unfortunately there is no song readout, but that would be the same case if you used a direct connect audio cable).

I use my pandora app for my rides and it works flawlessly....

Enjoy!!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-31-2016, 02:15 PM   #2

I use the MP3 connector cable in conjunction with a Miccus BT adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). The BT adapter has a battery but I installed a power supply and feed it off the aux power under the fairing. Setup works great with my android phone.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Old 08-02-2016, 12:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix058@yahoo.com View Post
hi folks,

Here is how to add bluetooth to your stock radio for Voyager and Vaquero for under $35. First let me stipulate that you must already have the kawasaki K10400-040 iPod adapter kit. If not then this BT setup will cost you about $130 ...but still a great deal!

The Kawi adapter kit has a 30 pin connector for your iPod, so there is a bluetooth receiver for about $30 called "CoolStream Duo BT adapter" (on amazon for $29.99). I tried a few others and this one is by far the best as it has a 30 pin connector and internal battery and charges itself once connected to the iPod adapter kit.

Once connected, just pair your BT device (phone, mp3 player..whatever) to the Coolstream and your all set. Just set the radio to AUX and you can use the handle bar controls for the volume (unfortunately there is no song readout, but that would be the same case if you used a direct connect audio cable).

Enjoy!!!!
Used a different version, but similar set up. Been doing so for two years with no issue. Works great on trips because I can use the phone GPS and music too; it all comes through the stock radio great.

Later
VBA #01416
2012 Vaquero SE Candy-Lime Green/Black
aka "T'Kehla"
2005 Nomad 1600 Black/Silver
aka "Mystique" (SOLD)
2006 Vulcan Classic
aka "Lil'Wolf" (SOLD)

"Life isn't a race; no one gets out alive. May as well slow down and enjoy the ride."

Old 08-02-2016, 01:58 AM   #4

Talon, you said you use a different setup. May I ask what you use? I'm a new voyager owner and the only thing I hate about this bike is having to use nothing but the Am/Fm radio. I have an android phone and would love to hook that up via bluetooth.
I am not exactly the most proficient when it comes to mechanics so I am leary about opening the fairing and trying to do some rewiring as SpecialEd mentioned. Im wanting to review all my options.
Thanx

Old 08-05-2016, 05:23 PM   #5

I used this one for $19.99 CDN.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works fine, sound quality the same as the iPod. No controls other the volume on the bars. Plugged it in found it on my Samsung galaxy S5 press play and music came out the speakers, just like it was expected.
VBA #02668
2014 Voyager ABS
Thunder Mfg Tear-drop breather
V&H Slip on's
Ivanated ECU
Air shocks with compressor and remote
Rear speaker kit
Clarion Amp
6.5" speaker adapters
Polk Audio 6.5" front speaker.
RACNRAY ISO grips with throttle mod.
Bushtek Turbo 2+ trailer
LED Headlight
LED Driving lights
Pulsating break light

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #6

just hooked up the coolstream. works great

Old 08-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #7

Quote:
hi folks,

Enjoy!!!!
Were you having any issues with audio cutting in and out from using an iPod? I can not tell if it's the adaptor, the iPod or something else. No such issue with the tuner or the MP3 connection.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:20 PM   #8

Quote:
... The Kawi adapter kit has a 30 pin connector for your iPod, so there is a bluetooth receiver for about $30 called "CoolStream Duo BT adapter" (on amazon for $29.99). I tried a few others and this one is by far the best as it has a 30 pin connector and internal battery and charges itself once connected to the iPod adapter kit.

I received the CoolStream Duo BT adapter the other day and give it a try on the way to work this am. PERFECT!!! It reads AUX on the screen (didn't expect that) but music (of any type) played on my phone was piped right thru the Kawi radio. I did Pandora and iHeartRadio all the way into work today.

Nice tip, thank you....

Friends tell me I need to get in shape. Round is a shape, isn't it?

Old 08-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #9

I am also streaming SiriusXM through my phone using the their Internet Streaming. Doesn't actually use that much data. Obviously I will loose that any time i loose Cell signal. But for back and forth to work and rides around home area it is fine.
VBA #02668
2014 Voyager ABS
Thunder Mfg Tear-drop breather
V&H Slip on's
Ivanated ECU
Air shocks with compressor and remote
Rear speaker kit
Clarion Amp
6.5" speaker adapters
Polk Audio 6.5" front speaker.
RACNRAY ISO grips with throttle mod.
Bushtek Turbo 2+ trailer
LED Headlight
LED Driving lights
Pulsating break light

Old 08-18-2016, 10:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8v06 View Post
Talon, you said you use a different setup. May I ask what you use? I'm a new voyager owner and the only thing I hate about this bike is having to use nothing but the Am/Fm radio. I have an android phone and would love to hook that up via bluetooth.
I am not exactly the most proficient when it comes to mechanics so I am leary about opening the fairing and trying to do some rewiring as SpecialEd mentioned. Im wanting to review all my options.
Thanx
8v06, Here is a link to one that I use. Less expensive, but basically same thing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-A2...3D251373214298
VBA #01416
2012 Vaquero SE Candy-Lime Green/Black
aka "T'Kehla"
2005 Nomad 1600 Black/Silver
aka "Mystique" (SOLD)
2006 Vulcan Classic
aka "Lil'Wolf" (SOLD)

"Life isn't a race; no one gets out alive. May as well slow down and enjoy the ride."

Old 08-22-2016, 10:00 PM   #11

I just ordered the Coolstream BT adaptor. Last chance for this radio before I trade the bike in for something else. Yes, the radio is causing me that much frustration. I have traded bikes for a lot less before. It's a sad day when all three American brands have better radios than a Japanese bike. Did anyone at Kawasaki even think to call Sony, Panasonic et all, and say hey we need a radio - here are the dimensions, make it happen? Seriously! I think someone dialed N. Korea by mistake. I'll either be enjoying my group ride Saturday or I'll be at a dealership begging them to take this thing off of my hands. Stay tuned, potential aftermarket parts may be up for sale. F'ing radio rant over.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:19 AM   #12

The saga continues. Got the coolstream BT adaptor installed and it works but the sound keeps waffling like there is a loose connection. Not as bad as it was with the iPod but not acceptable. I'm pretty much convinced the adaptor kit I purchased from a member on another forum is the culprit. I'm going to try the mini RCA jack and see if it does the same thing. Maybe it's just the 30 pin portion, maybe not.

Old 01-24-2022, 10:53 PM   #13

I realize this is older thread but no point starting yet another on this topic. I have a 2022 vaquero on order and just wondering if it STILL comes with iPod plug or something more current?

Old 01-25-2022, 03:44 AM   #14

It'll have plugs ready to accept the Ipod kit, which Kaw has stopped making. There are a few handy owners though, who continue to put wiring units together for those who want them from their home workshops.

You'll find them mentioned in various Facebook Vaq / Voyager groups. Here's a post I saw earlier today.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 01-25-2022, 04:37 AM   #15
Top Contributor

Thx Peg! Have a nice day!

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.