Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-18-2023, 12:21 AM   #1

Rotator Cuff Surgery

I had surgery to repair my rotator cuff the week before Christmas (I really did a number on it tripping over an old fence). I would be interested in hearing from others who have had shoulder surgery how long it took them to feel comfortable getting back on their motorcycle. I would hate to not be able to ride this year but I definitely do not want to go through this recovery period again.

Physics & Astronomy Teacher
Boulder High School
Boulder, Colorado

Mysteriously, wonderfully, I bid farewell to what goes, I greet what comes; for what comes cannot be denied, and what goes cannot be detained. --Master Chuang--

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-18-2023, 05:50 PM   #2

I tripped on a snow-covered log while hunting and busted mine and tore by bicep loose I was in sling for 8 weeks and did about 8 weeks of physical therapy and after that it is as good as new all depends on your doctor and therapist could ride no problem so about 16 weeks or maybe less.

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 01-18-2023, 05:52 PM   #3
Top Contributor

I have not had rotator cuff surgery but have had other surgeries and the only advice I can give you is take it easy and don't rush the healing process. Do the recommended physio and don't cut corners or miss the physio altogether.

Old 01-18-2023, 07:02 PM   #4

I am faithfully doing everything my physical therapist has me doing, if for no other reason than it lets me escape the sling for a bit. He's been happy with my progress and my next appointment with my surgeon is on the 1st (where hopefully I will be able to ditch the sling).

Physics & Astronomy Teacher
Boulder High School
Boulder, Colorado

Mysteriously, wonderfully, I bid farewell to what goes, I greet what comes; for what comes cannot be denied, and what goes cannot be detained. --Master Chuang--

Old 01-18-2023, 10:16 PM   #5

Having had the surgery, I can say it all depends on several factors such as your age the younger the better middle age and older takes a little longer, your personal health condition no underlying issues, all things I would suspect your doctor went over. 3 months of physical therapy is what I did after 2 months of wearing a sling and back on the horse.
So good luck and don't over do it with the shoulder or you could have a set back.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-13-2023, 04:04 AM   #6

Motorcycle riding no doubt is fun but riders should be much cautious too, same like I had a road accident last year which injured my back but fortunately not get any severe injury.