Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #31
Sr. Contributor

Saddlebags trim / plastic film over strips

Tuff call..... The oem strips are brushed stainless steel, just wicked thin SS, on sticky tape.

Fingernail works, so cow horn would work, but it's tuff getting cow horn anymore.

Once the film cracks like desert mud it's really hard to get that stuff off GENE!

A hair dryer might help alot. I really don't dare reccomend any chems..

Alternate chrome trim can be cut with a shapened pipe/chisel in any shapes you want. That's easy.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #32
Advanced Member

They should look better, Loafer, the plastic film isn't suppose to be on them.

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Old 03-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #33
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Tuff call..... The oem strips are brushed stainless steel, just wicked thin SS, on sticky tape.

Fingernail works, so cow horn would work, but it's tuff getting cow horn anymore.

Once the film cracks like desert mud it's really hard to get that stuff off GENE!

A hair dryer might help alot. I really don't dare reccomend any chems..

Alternate chrome trim can be cut with a shapened pipe/chisel in any shapes you want. That's easy.
Cow horn? Where do you shop?
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 03-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #34
Sr. Contributor

It so happens I make powda horns and have some cow horns, but I am aware most people don't. I suppose I could cut a few scrapers and you guys could mail them around.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham
I just noticed on your sig picture, did you take your trim pieces off?
I did. They are simply too fragile to get off in a condition where they can be reused. To replace them with OEM parts is about 300 bucks. So I just left them off and am pretty happy with the look.
how do you get them off with out hurting the paint? i would like to get mone off. bill

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridemslow
Gadget offered a cheap alternative. Chaek his site, but it involves about $20.00 and peel-n-stick chrome trim thats used on cars, available at Autozone and such places. Worth looking into. I just bought a new door for my right side on E-bay, and it already had the strips on it. Got the door for $159.00. Those strips sell for like $46.00 each, the door list for $403.00.

Quote:

I did. They are simply too fragile to get off in a condition where they can be reused. To replace them with OEM parts is about 300 bucks. So I just left them off and am pretty happy with the look.
That's exactly the replacement trim we are talking about... makes the bags look real good with the chrome instead of brushed stainless.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 03-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarleybill08
Quote:

how do you get them off with out hurting the paint? i would like to get mone off. bill
Bill, I was able to just pull my OEM strips off in one try. Getting the glue off was a little more trickier. I used an old t-shirt rag sprayed with some WD-40 to wipe the glue off. Was cautious not to wipe outside of the indention for the strips. It was a hot summer day when I did it, so the strips came off fairly easy.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 06-01-2022, 09:08 PM   #38

These comments were helpful as I just bought a 2006 Nomad 1600. One bag had no plastic strips and the other had all three, but one was starting to come off with another one soon to follow. I couldn't find any place that had the OEM strips available, and even if they did, I think the cost would not be worth it.

I ended up removing the three strips from the bag that still had them. As others have mentioned, they had the plastic film with Japanese lettering. They actually ended up quite easy to remove. On one I used fishing line to floss it off - worked just fine, but did leave a good amount of adhesive. The other two I pulled off - worked even better since the adhesive tended to stay with the strip so there was less to clean off. On one of the two I used a plastic putty knife to lift up the edge, and then pulled it off. I used Goo Gone Spray Gel to help dissolve the remaining adhesive (just sprayed on a rag and wrapped it around my finger to limit it to the channels of the strip and avoid the rest of the bag door) - worked great, although I still had to use my fingernail and the plastic putty knife to get some of the bits to come off.

It looks great now, and I may end up leaving it just like it is. Or, I could always get the chrome strips mentioned above.

Old 06-01-2022, 10:22 PM   #39

Ive got a full set of all 6 strips that I took off of my 06 years ago. If anyone needs them sure I could come up with a price.