Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-11-2022, 07:41 AM   #1

Installed rear wheel after tire change. Questions still

Hello all. Stripped down the rear according to manual to remove rear tire. I did it that way simply to get some practice tearing the bike apart. Lol. Anyways, sent the tire off to my shop and why the tire was off, had the wheel powder coated to match the powder coated black gloss front. I get tire/ wheel back and start to put it back on and I think I have successfully done so. Well to a point. I think I've tried "Aligning" the rear axle over 10 times, probably overthinking it. Matching punch marks, measuring with calipers, counting threads. Every method says the other one is off. Don't even get me started on belt tension!! Anyways, I had a few questions.

1. Is the rear caliper bracket have a little movement in it? I know there wasn't any bolts to reinstall it as it simply slides on the rear swingarm, but I see the caliper move ever so slightly when the wheel is in motion.

2. Does the rear pully have any movement in it after the axle is tightened according to spec? The pully went on no problem and I held it on with zip ties when reinstalling. I can grab the pully at a 12 and 6 position and it'll move ever so slightly. I would have thought the spacer on the axle would hold that in tight?

3. Before I removed the tire, my belt ran on the left side of the pully as you look at the rear wheel. Now it runs on the right side of the pulley. Should I be concerned?

2017 Voyager. Axle torqued to 80-ftlb. In advance, thank you for any guidance. If anyone has any better way to align the rear axle, I'll listen to anything. I might just fall back on the swingarm punch marks. How off can they be? Maybe I'm just way over thinking this and should just line up the marks, make sure the belt is in the 10mm range and let it be? Thanks again!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-11-2022, 04:32 PM   #2
Top Contributor

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) A belt will always travel to the tightest side of the belt. If you want to centre the belt a little better slacken the adjuster slightly on the right side (rear brake pedal side). It only takes a very small amount and a lot of turns of the wheel to make the belt move over. When I remove the wheel on a bike with a drive belt I measure the distance of the axle (or the adjuster) from a reference point using a Vernier.
That is assuming I am happy with how the belt was running before I removed the wheel.

Old 03-12-2022, 07:54 AM   #3

Thank you Redjay! I appreciate the feedback!!

Old 03-21-2022, 08:49 PM   #4

What did you set your belt tension at? I have the typical whine..but with some of the blown transmission posts relating it to the over tight belt tension Im considering taking my down to Harley Touring specs which seems to be working well for people...just curious if you did?

And BTW...I totally understand being neurotic about alignment..but there's some leeway in it but I appreciate your desire for exactness...it stresses me out too. LOL
VBA member #3627
1999 Nomad
2015 Voyager

Old 03-23-2022, 02:52 PM   #5

I set it pretty loose. Mother Kawi wants 3-4mm and I have it at least 10mm with 10lbs of pressure. Never had an issue with it at 10mm and I know the pulley bearings appreciate it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-23-2022, 11:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozman01 View Post
I set it pretty loose. Mother Kawi wants 3-4mm and I have it at least 10mm with 10lbs of pressure. Never had an issue with it at 10mm and I know the pulley bearings appreciate it.
Is that 10mm with the rear tire off the ground ?

Old 03-28-2022, 07:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozman01 View Post
From what I have seen here it is the front pully that is the most appreciative. We had established many years ago that 10mm is the best flt on the belt.

I do not remember if it was tire down or tire up in the air though.

For someone adjusting it them selves we have established (here on this forum) that the marks on the frame are very accurate. You will be able to trust them for belt tension and alignment adjustments. Big thread on the topic.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 04-01-2022, 09:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarticus View Post
Is that 10mm with the rear tire off the ground ?
Off the ground.