Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #1

U-Joint Screw Up???

???
When doing the swing arm, drive shaft I greased everything except, perhaps the U-joint itself. Got all the spines, spacers etc. Was I supposed to grease the crap out of the U-joint? Sad thing is I don't remember as I type this if I did.

If I have to, can it be done by peeling back the boot or do I need to take it apart again? I haven't put much back as it has been too cold in the garage lately.

Live and Learn.

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
2005 1600 Nomad "Tangerine Dream"
VBA #999
VROC #29355

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Top Contributor

U-Joint Screw Up???

I could be wrong but I dont think you can get grease into the u joint unless it has a grease fitting or you want to take the joint apart ? Slathering grease on the outside of the joint wont do anything unless it gets some inside the joint by capilliary (heat) action.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Advanced Member

U-Joint Screw Up???

It's been said, but if you have a zerk fitting (if you changed out the u-joint already with another one) then yes. If it's the original then NO it's SEALED and even if you use a needle injector on the end of your grease gun and pull back the rubber boot, you will not be able to get the needle into the bearing caps to get grease in there. You could get it close and it would be on the outside of the joint (small amount) that may help in keeping moisture out, but if that joint (bearing caps) is dry, NOPE it won't help at all, sorry. Did the joint seem stiff in any direction or free movement? If it was stiff, now is the time to yank it out and replace the u-joint with another one that has a grease fitting (zerk). Not sure why Kawasaki produced one without a way to grease it, but I guess due to the fact they think there lifetime (not) grease not needed.
If your not sure if it was stiff, and you haven't got it ALL back together, better to pull it now and check it, sorry.

Hope it's all OK, and your good to go.

Scott

Old 03-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #4

U-Joint Screw Up???

Got it. Internal. Suddenly it make sense.

The movement seemed fine when I had it apart. So I will go with it as is. Maybe I will look into having one on hand just in case.

Thanks

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
VBA #999
VROC #29355

Old 03-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
U-Joint Screw Up???

Charlie when you do replace the U-Joint be sure and get the one with the grease fitting. Everything these days comes with no way to grease them.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-02-2011, 12:28 AM   #6

U-Joint Screw Up???

When I did mine, I removed the caps, cleaned the needle bearings (removed them from the cups) and posts. Reassembled everything using the Honda 60 moly lube. When it starts to feel tight, I'll do it again.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #7

U-Joint Screw Up???

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE
When I did mine, I removed the caps, cleaned the needle bearings (removed them from the cups) and posts. Reassembled everything using the Honda 60 moly lube. When it starts to feel tight, I'll do it again.
Next time around I will do that. I understand a little better now.

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
VBA #999
VROC #29355

Old 03-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #8
Advanced Member

U-Joint Screw Up???

Quote:
So you take the u joint apart? if I was going to do that I'd just replace it with one that had a zerk fitting and be done with it for the inexpensive part cost. And my luck if I tried that the needle bearings would be all over the floor and then I'd be stuck having to replace it anyway and not have the part on hand..LOL..Murphy's LAW is a close neighbour here!!! Wish the bastard would move away, but NOOO :(" title="" border="0"/>

Nice idea, if a bit labour intensive (especially without a press)

Scott

Old 03-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #9

U-Joint Screw Up???

Im not sure you could get a grease gun onto the zerk unless you remove the driveshaft from the bike, there isn't a lot of room between the yokes when its all assembled in place.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
Advanced Member

U-Joint Screw Up???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
Im not sure you could get a grease gun onto the zerk unless you remove the driveshaft from the bike, there isn't a lot of room between the yokes when its all assembled in place.
I think there could be, if you orient the zerk fitting towards the FRONT and go in via the boot. YES tight, but could be done. But since you service the swing arm, when you take it off slip it off the driveshaft and can get at it then. Still a lot faster then taking off the driveshaft, pressing out the bearing caps to take the universal apart from the yokes and then take it all apart to re-grease it. Still a lot faster and as such more likely to be done more frequently which isn't a bad thing either. All this can depend on how much use it gets, where it's stored and how much WET weather it is ridden in. Most failures are due to the grease either drying out or being diluted with water and washing it out as to the bigger downfall for these bearings in the universal joint. In a pinch this method described would work for some, but as I said without a press not that common a practice or practical.

Scott

Old 03-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #11

U-Joint Screw Up???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott (ve3hzz)
Quote:
So you take the u joint apart? if I was going to do that I'd just replace it with one that had a zerk fitting and be done with it for the inexpensive part cost. And my luck if I tried that the needle bearings would be all over the floor and then I'd be stuck having to replace it anyway and not have the part on hand..LOL..Murphy's LAW is a close neighbour here!!! Wish the bastard would move away, but NOOO :(" title="" border="0"/>

Nice idea, if a bit labour intensive (especially without a press)

Scott

ROFLMAO

I hear you! Murphy lives down the street here too, (must really be a large family of them). I did buy the replacement U-joint (with a Zerk fitting) after the 2nd time I did my swing arm service, but the more I looked at it, the more I liked the OEM one better. The yoke on the OEM one is substantially beefier than on the aftermarket one, and the aftermarket one is hollow (grease ports). It does add about an hour to the service time, but I've only had to do it once so far. Every time I do the swing arm service, I check the U-joint, only did the service once since doing the U-joint (third time now and it was in very good shape, movement wise), and I'm thinking that using the Honda 60 paste, it might last a long, long time before I have to do it again. I don't have a press, but I do have a good vice and a good assortment of various socket sizes.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
Advanced Member

U-Joint Screw Up???

Yes Murphy has a big friggin family that is for sure.

As for vice and sockets. Well let's just say I've had my share of disappointments with that method and have a wide assortment as well and a fairly large vice. I quite honestly have never had good luck doing the u joint replacement myself. Even when I've followed the instructions. And since it's not something that can be fixed on the side of the road, I've had a garage replace them for nominal cost.

Next time I may opt to try it again as I don't like to be beaten (or beat on) by things I know I should be able to do.

My S10 on the drive shaft has no less then 5 universals and a hanger bearing where a 1 piece with 2 is all that is needed!!!
Was offered to make one for it, but for close to a 1G and not worth it on that old truck. And some have and some do not have zerk fittings there either??? I do bet your right with the service you've done on yours it should last a long time!!!

Scott
Oh and if Murphy doesn't move away soon I'm gonna go egg his front door..

Old 03-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

U-Joint Screw Up???

Quote:
How did you get new clips with out a new joint?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #14

U-Joint Screw Up???

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Quote:
How did you get new clips with out a new joint?

I re-used the old ones. If your careful taking them off and not "spring" them, you can re-use them. I also have the set that goes with the aftermarket u-joint, just in case.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-05-2011, 11:52 PM   #15

U-Joint Screw Up???

Ive done the same thing with U joints Cliff, I even save some of the old clips if they are still in decent shape, just for those times when they fly across the shop never to be seen again.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951