Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-25-2017, 08:39 AM   #1

Exclamation Mark A negative observation on the Michelin Commanders…

Greetings,

Was riding west bound on I-88 out of Chicago last week in the rain. It wasn’t a heavy rain, but roads were definitely wet. The cruise was set at 65, as traffic was not heavy (I do not want to discuss setting cruise in less than perfect weather…) . There are tar strips filling the gaps between the lanes. Some were wide tar strips, 4 or 5 inches. During a lane change, when the rear tire (Michelin Commander II with 5K, good tread showing) crossed the tar strip, the rear end slipped and danced. The engine revved up while the rear tire spun and rear end danced! As soon as the tire was back on concrete, the bike straightened up and resumed. However, that half-a-second of spinning-n-wiggle sure shook my faith in the Michelin Commanders.

I have been an advocate of these tires for their life and wear. This experience truly shook my faith (figuratively and literally). Others have posted about their observations regarding MC II’s in wet conditions, I now understand.

FYI, the front “stone” was a rock in those same conditions. Short version, the Dunlop Elite 4 or American’s are going to be looking good next tire change…

Ride safe,
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by smokier; 06-25-2017 at 08:41 AM.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:56 PM   #2

I don't know how well any tire would do on a wet tar strip with power being applied. And it is common knowledge, at least on this forum, that the Commander II isn't the best tire on wet roads. But the mileage is outstanding! We always have to pick the strong points most important for our ride. I have used the Commander II for over 60k, they have been everything I expected, including a little loose in the rear on wet roads. Now however, my commute distance has come way down, so I will consider other options for my new Blaze. Regardless, glad it was nothing more than a pucker moment!

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 06-25-2017, 03:45 PM   #3

How long did it take to remove your underwear from your ass?

I've been running the Shinko's, even 450 interstate miles during a tropical storm.

Not once have they slipped wet conditions.

And here in south FL riding in the rain is an almost daily occurrence.

But some won't give a Japanese tire made in Korea a chance.
VBA 936

Old 06-25-2017, 06:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Greetings,

Was riding west bound on I-88 out of Chicago last week in the rain. It wasn’t a heavy rain, but roads were definitely wet. The cruise was set at 65, as traffic was not heavy (I do not want to discuss setting cruise in less than perfect weather…) .

FYI, the front “stone” was a rock in those same conditions. Short version, the Dunlop Elite 4 or American’s are going to be looking good next tire change…

Ride safe,
Well I can see why you do not want to discuss setting the cruise on wet roads, because it is a dumb thing to do for the exact reason you are complaining about
The stone was rock solid because there was no power trying to sin it out from under you.
I think you should just learn the lesson and not blame the tire for your mistake. JMO
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 06-25-2017, 07:07 PM   #5

I have to agree with TC on this one. I've rode the Pig Trail twice in wet conditions this year and my bike has never wiggled at all and the MC II had over 10,000 miles.

David (Framer) Marang
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
VBA#02245
VROC#35311

2013 Antlers 2014 Mountain View 2014 Antlers
2015 Eureka Springs 2015 Antlers 2016 Salem 2016 Antlers
2017 Eureka Springs 2017 Lake George 2017 Antlers
2018 Custer

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-25-2017, 07:38 PM   #6

Greetings,

TC, of course you are right on all points. Cruise, front with no power, wet tar, etc. All of that agreed to, back when I ran Metzler's this sort of thing was not encountered. Yes, many have commented on the wet performance of the Commanders. This really was my acknowledgment of what they had observed.
Doesn't change that the confidence in the Commanders has been shaken in my head. And what goes on in our heads while we ride, navigate and set up for curves and hills is the biggest battle.

Ride safe,

Old 06-25-2017, 08:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Greetings,

TC, of course you are right on all points. Cruise, front with no power, wet tar, etc. All of that agreed to, back when I ran Metzler's this sort of thing was not encountered. Yes, many have commented on the wet performance of the Commanders. This really was my acknowledgment of what they had observed.
Doesn't change that the confidence in the Commanders has been shaken in my head. And what goes on in our heads while we ride, navigate and set up for curves and hills is the biggest battle.

Ride safe,
Absolutely, if one loses confidence in a tire or any other product that could put them in danger they should stay far away from that product. Especially tires, our first line of defense.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 06-26-2017, 07:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Greetings,

Was riding west bound on I-88 out of Chicago last week in the rain. It wasn’t a heavy rain, but roads were definitely wet. The cruise was set at 65, as traffic was not heavy (I do not want to discuss setting cruise in less than perfect weather…) . There are tar strips filling the gaps between the lanes. Some were wide tar strips, 4 or 5 inches. During a lane change, when the rear tire (Michelin Commander II with 5K, good tread showing) crossed the tar strip, the rear end slipped and danced. The engine revved up while the rear tire spun and rear end danced! As soon as the tire was back on concrete, the bike straightened up and resumed. However, that half-a-second of spinning-n-wiggle sure shook my faith in the Michelin Commanders.

I have been an advocate of these tires for their life and wear. This experience truly shook my faith (figuratively and literally). Others have posted about their observations regarding MC II’s in wet conditions, I now understand.

Ride safe,

Yep, they suck..... my front tire (Commander) slipped out on me around a corkscrew ramp in St. Louis 2 weeks ago because someone leaked oil on the road..... same as you, as soon as I was off the oil and back on concrete, it stopped slipping.

Seriously, I've heard about people having wrecks hitting "dry" tar snakes on sunny days in Wisconsin, they warn us about them everytime we go up to Boscobel.

Softer tires should do better in the rain, but can you run over a doe's leg at 50 with 'em and not get "jostled'?

Old 06-26-2017, 07:43 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
I have over 40k miles on Commander II's and never had a wet weather issue. Tar snakes are another matter that no tire I've ever ran didn't wiggle when wet. Wet tar snakes affect all tires. I'll use nothing but Commander II's. Like TC said. Setting the cruise in the rain............. nope...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 06-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopperhed View Post
Yep, they suck..... my front tire (Commander) slipped out on me around a corkscrew ramp in St. Louis 2 weeks ago because someone leaked oil on the road..... same as you, as soon as I was off the oil and back on concrete, it stopped slipping.
Just asking, do you know of a tire that will not slip on oil
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 06-26-2017, 08:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post

No, I don't....... that was kinda the point.... that you missed.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
No such tire exists.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 06-26-2017, 09:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopperhed View Post
No, I don't....... that was kinda the point.... that you missed.
Yup, sorry, I read your first 3 words and that kinda set the tone for me as I read the rest of your post. Sorry again
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Last edited by Top Cat; 06-26-2017 at 09:54 PM.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:38 PM   #14

Cruise control and rain (tar snakes or not) don't mix. Cruise control and tar snakes on a blazing hot day don't mix, either. They are actually more slick when hot than in rain, IMHO...

...unless it is the start of rain where it has not rained for a while, especially in warmer weather. In that case, any pavement will be more slick because of oil buildup on the surface. After a few minutes of decent rain, the oils will be lifted and will run off with the rain. But those first few minutes can be treacherous, especially on tar snakes and reflective pavement paint or coatings.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:24 AM   #15

Hot tar snakes = bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
tar snakes on a blazing hot day don't mix, either. They are actually more slick when hot than in rain, IMHO...
We have this road in Central Pennsylvania (RT 125) which is a mountainous, two lane, twisties, switch backs, Dragonesque in much need of a repave. On a mid-90 degree day I went around an up hill 15 mph right hand switch back. Some Dingleball had placed Tar Snakes around the radius of the turn on the path I chose through the corner. So here I am boards dragging, I hit that snake and my bike jumps to the left must be 10 feet (probably only 2 inches), my right leg instinctively goes out to contact the pavement enough to bump me back up. Then it caught pavement, Then it caught the second tar snake. We are talking both wheels drifting here. I didn't go down but I had to stop and pull my once tidy whities out of my throat. Did I mention I wore my sneakers that day instead of my boots - I now know why boots over my ankle should be worn. I didn't brake anything, but those sneakers got more traction than my new Dunlop American Elite's.

As I said earlier this road is in need of repair, So I guess I should be happy that they are going to tar and chip the road next week. At least I will expect to crash with the tar and chips (if I choose to ride it) rather than be totally caught out of the blue with a drifting lesson.

To top is off - the wife behind me on her Spyder said - didn't bother me at all.

HOT TAR SNAKES = BAD