Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-20-2017, 11:45 AM   #1

You guys are scaring me !!

Newbie just registered. Just bought a 2010 Nomad with 9,500 miles excellent shape, I think. Will need tires soon. Anyway, like many, I searched for a good forum and think I succeeded with you guys. However started searching 1700 issues, i.e., belt whine, tranny whine, sticky lifters, handle bar vibes, throttle issues, ECM reflash and seat mods. Now I'm scared, did I make a good choice, or ?. FYI, just came off a 2000 Gold Wing. Wanted something newer, more nimble, smaller and lower center of gravity. Getting a little older now and gold wing getting just a little tougher to navigate slower speeds. Anybody gold wing savvy probably can relate to my decision?
Also any advice on must have add-ons( no bling please ) will be appreciated.
Tire choices ?? Thanks in advance
Mark, Prescott Ariz.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

Only you know what add ons you will need.
A popular choice for tires are Michelin Commander II's.
ECM reflash is not essential but desirable. If you like the bike the way it is leave it alone.
If your bike does not have sticky lifters there is no issue there. Can you hear noisy lifters ? If not chances are your 7 year old Nomad might not get the issue.
Belt whine is usually fixed by loosening the belt a little.
If you don't plan on getting the ECM flashed get a throttle mod by RacnRay to cure the throttle issue.
RacnRay is a member of the forum.

Last edited by redjay; 07-20-2017 at 05:41 PM.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #3

Welcome from Northern California!

Nothing to be scared about, ride your bike and make it yours

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 07-20-2017, 03:44 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum..

Take deep breath... Redjay is right. Seldom do you see posts on forums like these were somebody post .. I can't believe how great my bike runs and trouble free it is.. In fact that is exactly what most of the members here have to report. Kawasaki makes a very reliable motorcycle. Oh sure there will be problems from time to time, but you have with most brands. Compare the numbers of issues being discussed vs the total number of members, you'll find find the good fare out weighs the bad.

Throw a leg across that new to you bike of yours and get out there and ride.. I suspect the only problem your going experience is keeping the smile off your face.

Ride safe...

Cheers .. David
VBA #03514

2002 Vulcan VN1500L Nomad fi
Pearl Burnish Beige/Pearl Luster Beige

Old 07-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #5

Try not to smile while you ride if you can .................. Bugs.
Oh and welcome.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-20-2017, 06:57 PM   #6

You can research any given make/model of bike or car and find similar things. As someone else noted, nobody shows up just to say that their bike ran great today. Enjoy the new ride!

Old 07-20-2017, 07:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkPenn View Post
Newbie just registered. Just bought a 2010 Nomad with 9,500 miles excellent shape, I think. Will need tires soon. Anyway, like many, I searched for a good forum and think I succeeded with you guys. However started searching 1700 issues, i.e., belt whine, tranny whine, sticky lifters, handle bar vibes, throttle issues, ECM reflash and seat mods. Now I'm scared, did I make a good choice, or ?. FYI, just came off a 2000 Gold Wing. Wanted something newer, more nimble, smaller and lower center of gravity. Getting a little older now and gold wing getting just a little tougher to navigate slower speeds. Anybody gold wing savvy probably can relate to my decision?
Also any advice on must have add-ons( no bling please ) will be appreciated.
Tire choices ?? Thanks in advance
Mark, Prescott Ariz.
Congratulations and Welcome!

What year Goldwing did you have? The Nomad is a great ride. A '10 with 9500 miles is probably a great deal. Enough miles to keep things lubed. Not enough to worry about.
The ECU re-flash borders on being a must. As stated, RacnRay's throttle mod is an excellent option if the ECU reflash is not in your future.
If you still put on miles, like a Winger, then look at a Russell Day-Ling seat.
Comfort = RDL
Performance/Response = IVAN'izing

Yes, the center of gravity is lower and the Nomad is more nimble, than the 80's era GW's I've ridden/owned.

Welcome and ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 07-21-2017, 05:55 AM   #8

Welcome to the forum Mark and congrats on the Nomad purchase.

Even with all the idiosyncrasies my 2015 Vaquero is still one of the best bike I've owned and I can see myself riding it for many years, I love the thing. My bike doesn't have Ivan's flash yet or any throttle mods, it actually runs pretty good without them. We're mid winter here so it runs pretty cool on rides but I have a feeling I might start looking for Ivan's flash once the weather heats up, I'll see how it goes.

I've drilled out the restrictor plates in the stock mufflers and the note and loudness are perfect for me.

Mine also has a sticking lifter which I only hear if the bike has been sitting for a week or two. After researching this causes me no concern whatsoever but I am conducting an experiment regarding said lifter. As the ticking is coming from the right hand side of the engine my theory is that the warm (thinner) oil is draining out of the lifter when I park the bike on the side stand straight after a ride, (the Vaquero's do lean over a fair way when on the side stand). I'm now parking the bike upright (propped up with engine stands under the rear crash bars) until the engine is cold then putting it onto the side stand. Will let you guys know how that goes.

Bottom line is, ride your bike and enjoy it! They really are great machines and deal with any issues IF they arise but from what I see none of these issues are deal breakers.
2012 Triumph Thruxton
2010 BMW R1200RT
2010 BMW K1300S
2009 Honda Deauville
2008 Triumph America
1997 Kawasaki ZX-7R
1989 Yamaha Virago 1100
1994 Honda CBR 1000F
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 1100fi
1989 Honda CBR1000F
1979 Yamaha XS 1.1
1985 Kawasaki 250LTD

Old 07-21-2017, 07:15 AM   #9
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangaans View Post
Welcome to the forum Mark and congrats on the Nomad purchase.

Even with all the idiosyncrasies my 2015 Vaquero is still one of the best bike I've owned and I can see myself riding it for many years, I love the thing. My bike doesn't have Ivan's flash yet or any throttle mods, it actually runs pretty good without them. We're mid winter here so it runs pretty cool on rides but I have a feeling I might start looking for Ivan's flash once the weather heats up, I'll see how it goes.

I've drilled out the restrictor plates in the stock mufflers and the note and loudness are perfect for me.

Mine also has a sticking lifter which I only hear if the bike has been sitting for a week or two. After researching this causes me no concern whatsoever but I am conducting an experiment regarding said lifter. As the ticking is coming from the right hand side of the engine my theory is that the warm (thinner) oil is draining out of the lifter when I park the bike on the side stand straight after a ride, (the Vaquero's do lean over a fair way when on the side stand). I'm now parking the bike upright (propped up with engine stands under the rear crash bars) until the engine is cold then putting it onto the side stand. Will let you guys know how that goes.

Bottom line is, ride your bike and enjoy it! They really are great machines and deal with any issues IF they arise but from what I see none of these issues are deal breakers.
Why not get a wheel chock and park the bike in the wheel chock every night ? It would save you from having to prop the bike up straight.
I parked my Nomad then my Voyager and now my Yamaha in a wheel chock every night.

I have this one. Its great for holding the bike level for doing oil changes, getting the jack under the bike, cleaning the bike etc etc. I also use it bolted on my trailer for hauling bikes.

Its not cheap but the bike is rock solid once its in the chock.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Why not get a wheel chock and park the bike in the wheel chock every night ?
I had thought about it Redjay that one looks excellent!

Yeah the cost is what's holding me back at the moment but I can see myself having one in the garage eventually. ;)
2012 Triumph Thruxton
2010 BMW R1200RT
2010 BMW K1300S
2009 Honda Deauville
2008 Triumph America
1997 Kawasaki ZX-7R
1989 Yamaha Virago 1100
1994 Honda CBR 1000F
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 1100fi
1989 Honda CBR1000F
1979 Yamaha XS 1.1
1985 Kawasaki 250LTD