Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

View Poll Results: What stops you as experienced riders from taking advanced rider training courses?
See no potential benefit 2 50.00%
Cost - too expensive 1 25.00%
Classes are too far away 1 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2016, 04:40 PM   #1

Additional training

I have been lurking here since picking up my voyager this spring. Haven't really been jumping in much but now is as good a time as any I suppose.

Most of us, at one time or another, have had to listen to someone telling us how dangerous it is to ride a motorcycle. Anyone who feels obligated to provide us with this lecture clearly doesn't understand why we ride. The way I see it each of us have long since accepted our own level of risks and have come to terms with the fact that riding is intolerant of complacency or stupidity.

Many riders have taken a riding course of some sort or another either to learn how to ride or brush up on their basic skills. Now much more common than 15 years ago. As experience is gained on the street most of us will push ourselves toward the edge of our own comfort zone from time to time in an effort to improve the ride. On occasion I see riders get into a situation where more skill was needed than they possessed....and it never ends well.

So what is it that keeps you from pursuing additional training at a more advanced level? As an avid rider and deeply involved in rider training I am curious what the forum members thoughts are on additional rider training beyond the basic courses.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by gearhead759; 08-13-2016 at 08:18 PM.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:13 AM   #2
Advanced Member

You need to add another answer for those of us who have taken advanced rider courses.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 08-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #3

I've never taken a "beginners" course but I have taken several advanced courses. The Navy at one time required you to take an advanced course any time you changed duty stations.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
You need to add another answer for those of us who have taken advanced rider courses.
I realized after posting a few more options would be needed. Can't seem to figure out how to amend the poll; any insight from the board would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy View Post
I've never taken a "beginners" course but I have taken several advanced courses. The Navy at one time required you to take an advanced course any time you changed duty stations.
I know currently the Navy requires a course every three years for active duty; did you just report the same the course each time or something different?

Last edited by gearhead759; 08-15-2016 at 08:22 AM.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead759 View Post
I realized after posting a few more options would be needed. Can't seem to figure out how to amend the poll; any insight from the board would be greatly appreciated.

I know currently the Navy requires a course every three years for active duty; did you just report the same the course each time or something different?
I can edit your post but I don't see an option to edit your poll. I will look into this to see if it is possible.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead759 View Post

It was basically the same course each time. Standard Navy training Navy wide. Was fun because each time I took the course it was with a different bike. 1st one was on a Yamaha DT250, 2nd was on a Norton 850 Commando, and the last one was on a Suzuki GN400. It was pretty easy with the two small bikes but the Norton was a real pig. Sure wouldn't want to do one with the 1500 Classic.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
I can edit your post but I don't see an option to edit your poll. I will look into this to see if it is possible.
Thanks JD. This is the first poll I have done on any of the forums I have been on....figured I was bound to learn a thing or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy View Post
It was basically the same course each time. Standard Navy training Navy wide. Was fun because each time I took the course it was with a different bike. 1st one was on a Yamaha DT250, 2nd was on a Norton 850 Commando, and the last one was on a Suzuki GN400. It was pretty easy with the two small bikes but the Norton was a real pig. Sure wouldn't want to do one with the 1500 Classic.
A different bike each time...nice way to get the most out of repeating a training curricula.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:11 PM   #8

I did the MSF course on my 03 Nomad. I aced the figure eights in the box but as I was exiting I heard a big thud behind me. I stopped and looked and a guy on his brand new V-Strom dumped his bike. Automatic fail.

Instructor made the poor guy wait until the end of all the testing to give him the paperwork so he could go home. Poor guy was really embarrassed and upset that he messed up his new bike.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 07-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #9

I have taken the MSF course twice after long breaks from riding, but was licensed when it was not required. I just bought my first "large" bike a 1500 Vulcan Classic, and would really like to find a training course to give me some "tools" and a bit of "feel good" about getting on the bike to take a trip. I know that nothing beats "butt in the seat" experience, but it would be nice to have some training and tips before making a bunch of someone else's mistakes that could be avoided and also knowing when to stay at the hotel. If anyone has some suggestions, they would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sky

Old 04-02-2018, 02:26 PM   #10

I teach a 5 hour "Seasoned Rider Clinic" at High Desert Harley Davidson in Meridian, Idaho. The course focuses on body position and techniques for slow handling skills on heavy motorcycles. You ride your own motorcycle in the course so it is for already endorsed riders. If you're ever in the area come check it out. Even though it's at the Harley shop, any bike is welcome. I ride a 2001 Nomad.