Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 02-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #31

I hear some yelling going on in here!!!!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney View Post
Sure sounded like a nagging lecture ;-)
If a nagging lecture is what it takes to make some people see the need tor safe riding gear then I say nag and lecture away.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 02-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #33
Top Contributor

Crap. People are gonna do what people are gonna do. Half the reason you buy a really nice bike is so others can see you. (No need for a nice paint job or chrome if you don't care.) Too many (in my opinion) feel the need to carry the "look at me" thing too far and will only ride if they can be "cool". Either they'll skate by without needing the gear or they'll wish they had been wearing it. It won't matter what you or I (or anyone else) says. Sheeple are stupid. I happen to be a big baby when it comes to pain. I don't want to endure any more than I have to. If someone else has to learn the hard way, fine. Just don't expect me to pay for their hospital bills.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 02-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #34
Mega-Contributor

I ride primarily because of the enjoyment I get from it. When it's summer in Phoenix, there's no enjoyment in being encased like a sausage. Heat from the road, heat from the engine, heat from the cars around you in traffic and heat from the sun can make it a miserable experience. It's tolerable when you're moving but standing still can be nasty. I wear a Columbia fly fishing shirt that is vented or a long-sleeved tshirt and it keeps the hot sun off my skin.

If you don't like my choices, tough sh*t. I am not asking your approval.

One good thing is my bike came with adjustable wings under the fairing that I can adjust to block the wind, aim the airflow toward the engine for added cooling, or aim it up towards me to cool me down.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #35

I wear a helmet (open face) and if it is cool enough a leather jacket. I will wear rain gear if it is raining.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #36
Top Contributor

It doesn't matter to me what others do. Personally, I usually wear most of the stuff and I'm comfortable with that. I know that not everyone owns a certain bike or rides for the same reason. I ride because I enjoy it. I bought a Nomad because it's comfortable AND because it look good. Same reason I also considered a Harley. To be honest, without re reading the entire thread, I can't remember what your take was on the whole ATTGATCAT thing was anyway. BTW, if we're throwing digits around, you too. We good now?

EDIT: I think you're the first one since I've been here to say "F you" to me. How does it feel to be the first?
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Last edited by Monkeyman; 02-28-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #37
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
It doesn't matter to me what others do. Personally, I usually wear most of the stuff and I'm comfortable with that. I know that not everyone owns a certain bike or rides for the same reason. I ride because I enjoy it. I bought a Nomad because it's comfortable AND because it look good. Same reason I also considered a Harley. To be honest, without re reading the entire thread, I can't remember what your take was on the whole ATTGATCAT thing was anyway. BTW, if we're throwing digits around, you too. We good now?

EDIT: I think you're the first one since I've been here to say "F you" to me. How does it feel to be the first?
I wasn't responding to you, Chris. I was just being my usual smartass self. Don't take it personally, it was meant as a general comment. right back at ya!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #38
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Chris I thought I did that first??

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #39
Advanced Member

The same as Top Cat.

Mike Bryant "CarolinaKid"

2007 Candy Red/Titanium Nomad
VBA # 1203
AMA # 1088875
VROC # 30589
Patriot Guard

Old 02-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #40
Sr. Contributor

Thumbs Up

This has been very interesting, and I'm glad you all have gear of some type to wear.
Anything is better than nothing.
In June of 2000, I went down in a corner at about 55 mph. The left side of me hit pavement and I did
a slide of about 80 feet. Following the bike as it were. I replaced the soles and heels of my boots, had
the chaps patched and buffed, the jacket I still wear after I shined and buffed it, the full gloves and
helmet were replaced. I had no scratches, bruises, my left collar bone is bent and I fractured 2 ribs
with my left elbow, I popped 2 ribs at the sternum.
Friends actually got the bike straightened out enough, that I rode it home about 60 miles.
Having some protection is a good idea. I myself have succumed to the heat equation and removed
some of the gear while out on a ride. Just be as safe as you can.
Stay Healthy.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 02-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #41

3/4 helmet - 99.8%
Unarmored leather jacket - until 85-90 degrees
Gloves - 99.8&
Leather boots - 99.8%
Full length jeans - 100%

Headlight modulator - always during daylight

Focused on the ride, road and traffic - 100%

Old 02-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #42
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
I wasn't responding to you, Chris. I was just being my usual smartass self. Don't take it personally, it was meant as a general comment. right back at ya!
Right on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Chris I thought I did that first??
I'll have to look back at the logs. (No. Not YOUR kind of logs.)
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 02-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #43

An unsolicited tip to the guys who have to deal with ridiculously hot temps -- cooling vests.

Google it for the info. I've found a good cooling vest under a mesh jacket to be a thing of beauty. Seriously. They even work well under perforated leather. I got mine years ago from Pashnit and consider it money well spent.

And honestly guys, no BS lecture was intended. WEAR WHATEVER YOU DAMNED WELL PLEASE. I will, and I'd like to live in a country where you can too. Unfortunately there's too many people in this country who feel the need to monitor the behavior of everybody else. Besides, my delicate sensibilities might not be able to handle a good and I'd have to cry myself to sleep.

Enjoy the ride!
Kevin

Old 02-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #44
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedosto View Post
An unsolicited tip to the guys who have to deal with ridiculously hot temps -- cooling vests.

Google it for the info. I've found a good cooling vest under a mesh jacket to be a thing of beauty. Seriously. They even work well under perforated leather. I got mine years ago from Pashnit and consider it money well spent.

And honestly guys, no BS lecture was intended. WEAR WHATEVER YOU DAMNED WELL PLEASE. I will, and I'd like to live in a country where you can too. Unfortunately there's too many people in this country who feel the need to monitor the behavior of everybody else. Besides, my delicate sensibilities might not be able to handle a good and I'd have to cry myself to sleep.

Enjoy the ride!
Kevin

In fact I do own a cooling vest. It does help...some.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #45

You call this nagging?, then you never met my mother. In the end you can wear what you want. However if during this discussion just one person decides that some part of their usual riding gear could be improved and it then helps them in a slide or accident, then it has been a useful discussion.

After Ringadingh's crash last year and his comments about his choice of helmet that day and how it helped him, I decided that I should change from a half helmet to a full face. I thought I would use the full face on long trips and the half helmet around town. I got so used to the full face and how comfortable it is, I have never put on the half helmet since.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136