Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #31
Sr. Contributor

New Ticking Sound, HELP!!

That choke is no more than a cam to open the throttle plates some.

If this were my bke I would use a 12' long extention placed near the cam chains and listen. That would be near the plugs as well. When the chains don't adjust as they should they eat the metal cases the plugs are in, from the back side.

You really want to know the chains are not eatting these parts and creating shiney oil paint. I think Cadd added the cam guide extenders on his bike too, so am not sure why he didn't say more.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #32

The price we pay for the technology. Clicking solenoids, chokes that aren't chokes, chains that stretch and make noise then go away. It's mind boggling.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:21 PM   #33

Quote:
That choke is no more than a cam to open the throttle plates some.

If this were my bke I would use a 12' long extention placed near the cam chains and listen. That would be near the plugs as well. When the chains don't adjust as they should they eat the metal cases the plugs are in, from the back side.

You really want to know the chains are not eatting these parts and creating shiney oil paint. I think Cadd added the cam guide extenders on his bike too, so am not sure why he didn't say more.
He's only got 7500 miles, so hardly time for the extenders yet.

I did get them, BTW, but not installed yet.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:56 PM   #34

Had to leave her at the Hospital, they are booked and will take a week or 2 before they can operate. I will let you guys no when I no. I know I will catch some slack, but I changed the oil before I left for Daytona, switched to the Rotella Syn, and thats when I started hearing the noise. Hope it's not related to the oil, changed it back to Lucas motorcycle oil when I returned from Daytona.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #35
Top Contributor

Had Shell Rotella in mine now for about 6 mo and running Smoooooooth.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #36

Hey flash,,,,I love the pic of the young man on your bike.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:40 PM   #37

What was the outcome of this? I switched from a 3/4 helmet to 1/2 helmet yesterday and now I notice the ticking noise. Mine really sounds just like lifters in a chevy V8 when the oil is low.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #38
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by formikec
What was the outcome of this? I switched from a 3/4 helmet to 1/2 helmet yesterday and now I notice the ticking noise. Mine really sounds just like lifters in a chevy V8 when the oil is low.
That's easy to fix. Get a MP3 player and some ear buds. Noise is gone.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #39
Top Contributor

I've got a metal(tinny) vibration when you acelerate hard and then let off, then it vibrates. Its the radiator shroud vibrating on the radiartor. i put door edge guard ALL around 4 sides of the shroud, no improvement. i just live with it now.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #40
Sr. Contributor

Odd my 1600 had the ISC out of there, like gone and boxed, and my bike starts with a bang, with no choke knob and whjile it idles a little low I can roll up some throttle, while backing from the barn, but I can't find reverse, so I have to duck walk it. I don't hear lifters. I don't hear the chain, and i sure don't hear whats in a box in the cellar...

On the other hand I am 75% deaf.... Huh What?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-30-2008, 10:18 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
That's easy to fix. Get a MP3 player and some ear buds. Noise is gone.
Shoot, the noise doesn't bother me, just want to make sure it isn't something I should address...and was curious what flash's outcome was at the dealer.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc (Lonewolf)
I have always heard a clicky clack ticking from the engine of my '05 cold or hot, its the frigging lifters tapping which is normal, I tune a deaf ear to it now.
funny i had that for a while on my 03 nomad, bough it with 40,000 miles on it, after a few thou more, i was riding back from El Paso TX. and around Phoenix, a lifter became notoriously louder, the funny thing if i let go of the throttle, for a few hundred feet, it would quiet down for about another 50 miles, spoke to a mechanic about it and he recomended to change the oil to motul 5100 (semi synthetic) it got mufh better after that, BUT!!!!! a few weeks ago, i decided to try seafoam in my fuel to clean the injectors, and after a couple of tanks, i noticed something short of a miracle!!!!!! my lifters quieted down, I do not claim that the seafoam did it, but what else could have happened??? all i know is that my bike is running great! and is pulling upwards of 70,000 miles.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #43

Tells you to stay away from a Chevy v8. They never was good about holding their oil, kinda like some guys who can't hold their liquor. ;)
Quote:

Old 09-20-2008, 04:33 AM   #44

I posted a while back about engine noise due to syn. oil. can't run it in my bike. I've tried it twice, both times it made a valve or lifter rattle like crazy. Switched to Spectro 10/40 dino oil it made a big difference in noise. I Have read several threads on different forums and what I've found out is these motors are all different, some folk's swear by syn. oil others like myself can't run it. I also took my scooter to the dealer and basicly did'nt get to ride for a week. End result, normal.I ride an 07 and I have normal engine noise, if you sit on top of your car engine you'll hear some noise. but the bottom line for me is I cannot run syn. oil It makes my engine rattle like crazy. even though there is no reason why it should. So if dino. is what it wants dino. is what it will get, problem solved.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:40 AM   #45

I forgot to mention it's going to be a nice day here I'm headed up through Cherokee across Newfound Gap to Gatlingburg, about a hour a half ride from here. Probably come back across Wears Valley to the Foothills Parkway, then across 129 back home. It'll be about a four hour ride.