Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #1

Installing Galfer brake and clutch lines

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of new Galfer stainless brake and clutch lines. I will be installing them within the next couple of weeks. Any suggestions, pointers, or shortcuts out there?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-30-2015, 12:24 PM   #2

Yeah, don't get brake fluid on your paint. Otherwise it's pretty straight forward.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 01-30-2015, 12:28 PM   #3

Speed bleeders !

Because 2 wheels & a motor are a life long addiction !

2006 Nomad 1600
2003 Suzuki Volusia
1998 Honda Valkyrie (Sold)
1997 Vulcan 1500 Classic (Sold)

Old 01-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #4

Thanks, I've got the front fender off and I have a bleeder. I just ordered master cylinder rebuild kits too. I figured with 85,000 miles it couldn't hurt.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #5

Never used "speed bleeders" before, but I am a big fan of the MityVac! The only problem I had was getting the OEM front brake line thru the triple tree, other than that, it was a breeze.
A side note............. after you install them, go practice a couple of panic stops, you'll be amazed at how quick the wheels lock up with the new lines.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #6

Thanks Cliff. You can never practice emergency braking too much. I am a rider training instructor and I not only teach but take training courses every year. Rode the Nomad at Laguna Seca last year!!!

Old 01-30-2015, 04:26 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcane View Post
never used "speed bleeders" before, but i am a big fan of the mityvac! The only problem i had was getting the oem front brake line thru the triple tree, other than that, it was a breeze.
A side note............. After you install them, go practice a couple of panic stops, you'll be amazed at how quick the wheels lock up with the new lines.
second the mighty vac

Old 01-30-2015, 06:39 PM   #8

On my Yamaha I installed aftermarket brake lines. Found out the hard way that the torque value was lower for the aftermarket banjo bolt.

Oh snap...

Literally...

Old 01-30-2015, 07:15 PM   #9

Bummer! I'll be sure to download the instructions from Galfer's website. I am pretty mechanically inclined and do all my own work except tire changes, so it's sounding like a pretty straight forward job.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:37 PM   #10

I have used the Galfer brakes and lines on various bikes for about 15 years now. you will not be disappointed. The pads sound like they are killing your rotor. They are not. You will get used to the sound. Enjoy

Ra

Old 01-31-2015, 08:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf1 View Post
I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of new Galfer stainless brake and clutch lines. I will be installing them within the next couple of weeks. Any suggestions, pointers, or shortcuts out there?
Mind me asking where you got yours and pricing? Did you get the one piece front or 2 line double banjo? Would love to see the finished work as I am contemplating that same winter project.
Cobra Fi2000r ,Fire & Steel light bar,Cobra freeway bars, Kuryakyn highway pegs,Kuryakyn pedal covers,Barons 7 LED tachometer, Chucksters' 2" risers, Kuryakyn RTB controller, Kuryakyn grips, heel and toe covers. Galfer S.S. braided lines.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:04 PM   #12

I first went to Galfer website and found the correct part number, then went on line at Amazon. I found them for sale on Amazon by powersportsuperstore.com. Total for front and rear brake lines and clutch just under $200.00. The front is a three line kit, one line from the master cylinder that goes to a sealed splitter and then one line to each caliper. I will post photos after I get them installed. I have decided to do a master cylinder rebuild at the same time since I've got 85,000 miles. I'm not sure they need the rebuild, but why not do it since I'm going to have the system apart anyway.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamriding View Post
On my Yamaha I installed aftermarket brake lines. Found out the hard way that the torque value was lower for the aftermarket banjo bolt.
Oh snap...
Literally...
Right there is what I like about this forum. That's a crucial piece of information that probably be won't be in the installation instructions.

As VulcanE said, removing the lines from the lower tree feed thru is a bit of a puzzle but once you figure it out its a snap.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Last edited by Vulcan Bill; 02-01-2015 at 11:24 AM.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Bill View Post
As VulcanE said, removing the lines from the lower tree feed thru is a bit of a puzzle but once you figure it out its a snap.
Couldn't you just get out the trusty side cutters and make the job easier?
Not like you are going to reuse the lines, or am I missing something?
Cobra Fi2000r ,Fire & Steel light bar,Cobra freeway bars, Kuryakyn highway pegs,Kuryakyn pedal covers,Barons 7 LED tachometer, Chucksters' 2" risers, Kuryakyn RTB controller, Kuryakyn grips, heel and toe covers. Galfer S.S. braided lines.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybenz View Post
Couldn't you just get out the trusty side cutters and make the job easier?
Not like you are going to reuse the lines, or am I missing something?
You are correct, and that's exactly what I did.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381