Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 01-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #16

yes they state this is for mine just an aftermarket item I guess. Not willing to give Garman 68.00 for a darn cable here. Must have gold ends on it I guess.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-20-2015, 03:39 PM   #17

Yes I'd seen those ones on Ebay Dave, plus others made by EDO. Amazon reviews seemed to indicate they were prone to fail a little sooner, but there's probably not much difference. I also use a Nuvi 2597, but in a Ram mount system

Yes, the Russell seat is the best yet of the 3 I've tried, and I've stopped looking for better. I've modified the backrest significantly and put a new pad on it to get the support down low where I need it (more like where the Mustang pad sits). It's an all day saddle for sure.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 01-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #18
Advanced Member

I need to do this very same thing, looks like a pro install,what fuse block did use?
and does the hot line from battery need to be fused? I'm just smart on electrical issues? more info please

Old 01-31-2015, 03:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbagger View Post
I need to do this very same thing, looks like a pro install,what fuse block did use?
and does the hot line from battery need to be fused? I'm just smart on electrical issues? more info please
I got the electrical connection one. Look at the first picture in this thread. It shows the unit. Cost about $50.

http://wingstuff.com/products/3449-f...cal_connection

The big red wires are the power wires. The black connector with the red line in and out is where the 30 amp fuse goes. This line goes to the + on the battery and is the only connection you need to the battery. I stuffed all the lines into the tool compartment sandwiched between foam rubber. The seat acts like a cover so they can't move or vibrate. The red wire with the blue bullet connector is where the + from the battery tender connects. The small blue wire goes to the + in accessory connector (preferably switched but there aren't any easily accessible on the Vaq). The small black is ground. These power the relay. I made up a 6 way connector so I can remove the cover if needed in future. I will run the six wires in a sheath to the fairing. I will only use 2-3 this install but will have extra power connections if needed without having to remove the tank again.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:44 PM   #20
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmhspirit View Post
I got the electrical connection one. Look at the first picture in this thread. It shows the unit. Cost about $50.

http://wingstuff.com/products/3449-f...cal_connection

The big red wires are the power wires. The black connector with the red line in and out is where the 30 amp fuse goes. This line goes to the + on the battery and is the only connection you need to the battery. I stuffed all the lines into the tool compartment sandwiched between foam rubber. The seat acts like a cover so they can't move or vibrate. The red wire with the blue bullet connector is where the + from the battery tender connects. The small blue wire goes to the + in accessory connector (preferably switched but there aren't any easily accessible on the Vaq). The small black is ground. These power the relay. I made up a 6 way connector so I can remove the cover if needed in future. I will run the six wires in a sheath to the fairing. I will only use 2-3 this install but will have extra power connections if needed without having to remove the tank again.
one of my questions was where did you find switched power but I guess you didn't do that or is that what you meant going to an accessory conn.
I need to power a stebil air horn, the ol ladys heated gloves, battery tender conn. and lastly a ejk tuner I guess using a relay makes the things switch right? and there is a place for the battery tender that doesn't need to switch I hope you get the picture of what I'm trying to do maybe you can help me out
sorry if all this isn't worded correctly trying to watch the super bowl too
Ha ha ha ha !

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-03-2015, 03:26 AM   #21

Thanks Peg for making me think of the direct wire method of GPS. Received the part today wrapped the little box in a baggie so if water gets to it does not spoil it at all and wired it in and wow works like a damn

Yea I still love my Russel Day Long nothing like it at all out there I would never buy a bike again with out replacing the seat with a new Russel Day Long.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbagger View Post
one of my questions was where did you find switched power but I guess you didn't do that or is that what you meant going to an accessory conn.
I need to power a stebil air horn, the ol ladys heated gloves, battery tender conn. and lastly a ejk tuner I guess using a relay makes the things switch right? and there is a place for the battery tender that doesn't need to switch I hope you get the picture of what I'm trying to do maybe you can help me out
sorry if all this isn't worded correctly trying to watch the super bowl too
Ha ha ha ha !
I haven't found a connection yet which switches off when you hit the starter. This is the recommended connection point for the little blue wire so you don't have everything connected and drawing power when you start the bike. That's what I meant by switched. Unlike on my 06 Nomad, the accessory connections on the Vaq all turn off when you stop the bike. Still looking at the electrical drawings. Interestingly enough the factory running lights I installed do not turn off when I hit the starter but the headlight does in low or high beam.

The way the battery tender connects I am guessing means that even though the relay is not powered, the BT still can charge the battery.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:04 PM   #23
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmhspirit View Post
I haven't found a connection yet which switches off when you hit the starter. This is the recommended connection point for the little blue wire so you don't have everything connected and drawing power when you start the bike. That's what I meant by switched. Unlike on my 06 Nomad, the accessory connections on the Vaq all turn off when you stop the bike. Still looking at the electrical drawings. Interestingly enough the factory running lights I installed do not turn off when I hit the starter but the headlight does in low or high beam.

The way the battery tender connects I am guessing means that even though the relay is not powered, the BT still can charge the battery.
I think I'm confused then I thought you would tap into a wire that was switched like a headlamp or taillight that turns on when you turn the key to open up the relay to the aux fuse box! if the accessory conn. turn on when you start the bike is that what we want to tap.
I was about ready to pull the trigger on the same fuse box from electric conn. and do this little project I guess more research is needed!

Old 02-14-2015, 10:03 PM   #24

Hey kpmhspirit is that a Vaquero/Voyager specific fuse block? I tried a lot of searches and didn't see one like the stereo and 12v connections; I used a Blue Sea fuse block on my Nomad but would like to get a Kawi specific one for the new Vaq if that's the case.

VBA Member # 02057

Old 02-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlock View Post
Hey kpmhspirit is that a Vaquero/Voyager specific fuse block? I tried a lot of searches and didn't see one like the stereo and 12v connections; I used a Blue Sea fuse block on my Nomad but would like to get a Kawi specific one for the new Vaq if that's the case.
No that is an aftermarket one made by Electrical Connection.

http://electricalconnection.com/inde...&product_id=80

Old 02-15-2015, 02:08 PM   #26

Thanks, looks like a great choice; that's the one I'll get then.

VBA Member # 02057

Old 02-15-2015, 11:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Thanks, looks like a great choice; that's the one I'll get then.
Hook the small relay + wire to your running lights and it will turn off all the accessories hooked to it when you start the bike so you don't have the full load when starting...

Just FYI

Old 02-16-2015, 10:52 PM   #28

Thanks for the advice; I'll definitely be using this thread for reference when I get time to install everything that's piling up!

VBA Member # 02057

Old 02-17-2015, 07:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Thanks for the advice; I'll definitely be using this thread for reference when I get time to install everything that's piling up!
I assumed from our sig pic you had an older Nomad, then saw it was sold. What do you have now? If one the newer 1700's, not sure the running light option will work. They seem to be wire differently than the older 1600 and 1500's, I think. Check you bike. On my Vaq, the running lights don't turn off with the starter. I'm still looking for a wire I can splice into to get that.

Just a heads up.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:09 PM   #30

Thanks, I just picked up a Vaquero; please update us if you find something that works. It'll be at least 3 weeks before I have any free time to work on the bike; if I come up with anything then I'll post it up.

VBA Member # 02057