Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #1

Recommend Stereo/speaker combo

Hey guys, can anyone recommend a decent low-budget marine stereo setup? I'm going to buy a fairing that accomodates 2 6x9s. I'd rather not install an amp if I can get away with it. I've never installed a system before and don't know much about them or what to get!

Thanks!

Viking hard bags

Cobra fatty highway bar

Cobra long shots

thetrailerstore ebay fairing

LRS recurve shield

Yaffe 10" mini bagger apes

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-30-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Ipod and ear buds.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:57 PM   #3

This will create all kinds of opinions.

Personally I have a Kenwood marine grade stereo, a Clarion amp and 4 x 5 1/4 inch Boss speakers. The speakers are my week link as they are cheap and sound just fair.

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/marine/kmr-555u/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLARION-XC14...item2c9110a9d2

http://www.amazon.com/BOSS-Marine-Co...eakers+5+1%2F4

Old 01-30-2015, 01:58 PM   #4

I don't wear earbuds, too dangerous IMO

Old 01-30-2015, 03:17 PM   #5

I'd have a look at Crutchfield.com for stereo/speakers - maybe marine models?

Earbuds are no more dangerous than ear plugs, unless you crank the music too loud. It is a little creepy at first, so I understand what you mean. (And your state may have laws against earbuds...)

I have an RF remote that is Velcro'd on the bars right next to my thumb, so it's easy to control.

As far as being able to hear semi-quality sound, you'd have to have an awfully loud stereo to be able to hear the speakers as well as you can hear the earbuds.

I hang the ipod around my neck under my jacket. The RF remote works up to 60ft away.

Cost and hassle? No comparison. Ipod mini 4gb on Ebay, CHEAP. Griffin AirClick Mini RF Remote - $5.00. JVC Marshmallow earbuds - $10.00 +/-.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by BigRat; 01-30-2015 at 03:27 PM.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:30 PM   #6

With my earbuds you can't hear any outside noise, even with music off so even at a very low level I could be run over by a truck and never hear it coming, so, no, no ear buds here. Good ear buds are built to block out outside noise. I guess I could buy crappy ones and still be able to hear.. LOL

Old 01-30-2015, 08:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgconstable View Post
...I guess I could buy crappy ones and still be able to hear.. LOL

In your situation I wouldn't use them either!

The JVC Marshmallows are about the best sounding cheap earbuds out there, IMO. The part that goes in your ear is similar to the stuff that my regular foam earplugs are made out of. You give it a pinch and it expands to fill your ear.

When the music is off they allow the same noise in that the earplugs do, so I just play mine real low and I can hear both well enough not to be too nervous. They fit well, so I occasionally just use them as earplugs.

I totally understand not being comfortable with earbuds though. Took me a while to get used to them.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:36 PM   #8

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this in my Reckless fairing no amp, stock exhaust. Plenty of good sound IMO, my wife says she can hear it just fine on the back and I never have it above 21, usually around 16-18. If you buy a reckless plan on painting it even if you want black, their gel coat finish is poor. And you will also need a different windshield
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 01-31-2015, 05:24 PM   #9

You get what you pay for on a low budget stereo set up. Spend the extra money and get something that will last you. I started out with a low budget set up and didn't like it. I would have to turn the volume up alot, which would distort the sound. I changed everything out for a good quality set up and couldn't be happier.

I have the 6x9 set up and love the clear sound I get from it now. I have some Bazooka marine 3 way 6x9's powered by an Alpine deck with a small Alpine amp. The sound is clear at high speeds, my passengers can easily hear it. I usually only turn it up to about 9 to 12 and it's sounds good, and I am running V&H pipes.

The Alpine deck is not a marine deck, but I have a good quality splash cover. So between the fairing being well sealed and the splash cover, the Alpine deck and amp haven't gotten wet yet. I have ridden in rain (alot) and have had my bike parked in the rain during rides, and everything stays dry.

Just some food for thought. Find a good deck with a decent RMS out put and go from there.
Forgot to say, the amp I have fits in the fairing with plenty of room to spare.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bazooka-MAC6...415cda&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpine-KTP-4...item19f107a90e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-We...item5b044f5bb3
Hers-2008 Suzuki C50
And restoreing 1979 Honda CB750k

Last edited by gillisfire; 01-31-2015 at 05:30 PM.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:28 PM   #10

Low budget can be different for everybody here. With that said, I am just plain cheap and will spend unreasonable amounts of time doing research to save a dime. But I also know that savings can take the form of doing something right the first time and not having to redo or scrap it and start over again. So, like it's already been said, go a little over your budget if you are getting real good value for your dollar.

I also went with the Kenwood KDC-BT558U or KMR-D558BT (I don't remember exactly which) Marine because I considered it to be the best for the money at the time. Read up, loads of features and one I particularly like , and got a chance to use accidently. It has a protection feature in the event it gets wet, it goes into protection mode until it dries out. Won't damage any components or blow anything important. Nice feature, cause I don't care how you protect it, ride in the right conditions and it will get wet. Even if only from moisture in the air during a downpour. Good luck with the hunt.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:39 PM   #11

DGconstable, The Kenwood I got is very similar to the one you have, small differences. I love it. Great power even without an amp and using the USB it has the full range of frequency response and really excellent sound. I load up a stick and get hours of music. I went with the DB525 Polk speakers. You might want to try these. Given the size, (same as yours) they sound really great. Very clear. Very clean. Plenty loud and I'm not running an amp as yet.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:17 PM   #12

Kenwood KIV 701 media player, Alpine 100w power pak, Rockford Fosgate 5 1/4" speakers 2 of which are components 2 are std 3 way speakers. plenty loud and clear to be heard at 80mph.

None of which are marine grade, all have seen plenty of rain and bucket and sponge washes.

06 Nomad
Rock Island,Il