Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-08-2008, 04:03 PM   #1

A idea I have been kicking around

On my old bike I had an engine guard with highway pegs on it. It was accidentally laid over once very easily. The crash bar did its job, but the main thing that kept it from getting any damage was the highway pegs on the crash bar.

Fast forward to my new Nomad. By looking at the bike it appears just laying it over with assistance I would get some type of damage to the hard bags. My thought was why not add something like highway pegs to the rear crash bar by the hard bags, but I think a foot peg would be stupid looking back there. I don’t want it to flip up and not stick out to far (just far enough to keep the surface away from the bags), does anyone have any ideas??????

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #2

pick187,

I laid my 1500 over this past weekend. I did a u-turn a bit too slow and the road had a fairly sharp incline. The bike went right over on its left side, real slow like, but I could not stop it. It rested on the floor board, and it had zero damage. It is strange how they do not lean over very far. Not sure if the 1600 is that different.

Reading here and else where really helped me get the bike up. At first I faced the bike gave it a tug and it did not budge then I remembered that I was supposed to turn my back to the bike and grab the handle bar and use my legs. It went right up like I've read here so many times. Thanks guys! and gals!

Old 04-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #3

Sounds practical if you came up with something that would look decent.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
Top Contributor

My 1600 went over at a stand still only a small scratch on the bottom of the back bag guard and it rested on the floor board. But you have a good idea.
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
Top Contributor

I have had my 2006 1600 down on both sides. The first time was turning right into my garage too sharp and too slow. It came to rest on the right floorboard, neither the front or rear guard bars touched. I put it down on the left side practicing slow turns, got too slow and lost it. Again, only the left floorboard touched down.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-08-2008, 04:53 PM   #6

The worst you're going to do to it is scratch the bag handle, and those cost $120. Most the time you won't go over that far if you hang on to it. I wouldn't think pegs on the rear would help that often to give up the Aesthetics of your fine looking machine.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:06 PM   #7

Hi pick187. Go to the Safety Forum and see the thread by Dan titled 'Dumping Your Bike during parking lot practice'. He has pictures there of his 1600 on its side to show what touches down.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 04-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick187
On my old bike I had an engine guard with highway pegs on it. It was accidentally laid over once very easily. The crash bar did its job, but the main thing that kept it from getting any damage was the highway pegs on the crash bar.

Fast forward to my new Nomad. By looking at the bike it appears just laying it over with assistance I would get some type of damage to the hard bags. My thought was why not add something like highway pegs to the rear crash bar by the hard bags, but I think a foot peg would be stupid looking back there. I don’t want it to flip up and not stick out to far (just far enough to keep the surface away from the bags), does anyone have any ideas??????
I think you are on to something!! Get Kuryakyn offsets and put training wheels on them. ::)
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 04-09-2008, 07:24 AM   #9
Advanced Member

WOW, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's been over. I only have 250 miles on her, but I laid it down in the grass in my back yard getting it out of the garage. I was freaked that I couldn't hold her up as she went. It seems like the front end just flops over and that signals the beginning of the end, she's going down. What a B&%CH getting her back up, it's not like you want to practice that.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #10

"I think you are on to something!! Get Kuryakyn offsets and put training wheels on them. "

Thanks Idaho,

That had me laughing, I almost blew my drink out my nose.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

Ha, after I posted it I was afraid that you would offended. Nice to make people happy.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 04-10-2008, 12:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddman11
WOW, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's been over. I only have 250 miles on her, but I laid it down in the grass in my back yard getting it out of the garage. I was freaked that I couldn't hold her up as she went. It seems like the front end just flops over and that signals the beginning of the end, she's going down. What a B&%CH getting her back up, it's not like you want to practice that.
One of those things some people don't like to admit to...... I think anyone who has ridden much has dropped their bike at one time or another.... I sure have! (shut up BD) :) :)

Unfortunately....... It's not "if" you go down.... it's ....."when"

Old 04-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #13

Last May my 1600 slid down the highway for a hundred feet on her side.......only the handle had scratches. Those highway bars are worth their weight in gold.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightdoc
Last May my 1600 slid down the highway for a hundred feet on her side.......only the handle had scratches. Those highway bars are worth their weight in gold.
That they are. Unfortuanlty, I have had the "good fortune" to have mine "fall over" in parking lots or while making a u turn. Just rested on the crash bars, didnt'even touch the bags.

If it goes beyond horizontal, then the bag handle will take a hit and need replacing. Along with a few other pieces of trim and windshield.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #15

Hey bigjohn.....what are you using for an intercom?

vin