Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > SouthEast Group

Old 09-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Ballahack Rd VA & northeast NC

After spending the day riding out to Busch Gardens Williamsburg from Virginia Beach and taking the long way back home via a nice long walk on the beach, we all decided to head south today into NC and check out the riding based on what a friend told us. Route 165 to 17 was our first way out of the megalopolis miasma and based on the advice of someone else we tried out Ballahack Road that runs between 17 and 168 near the NC border. That was so much fun that we turned around and rode it back to 17 where we continued south to the rest stop and the Dismal Swamp State Park. From there we continued south to 343 in a mapless attempt to make our way to Moyock and 168 to bring us back to Virginia Beach. Eventually, we found a rare road sign pointing us in the right direction and got to Moyock and 168. We headed back north and made our way home via 168, 64, 264, 410.
The ride down 17 was into an annoying headwind, but the scenery was beautiful and very much different from the riding I was used to in VT. I really do enjoy cruising flat wide open country where you can enjoy the lush green vistas. Ballahack Road had some nice curves to make the ride interesting and is nice and rural. Route 343 was very pleasant riding as was the road we turned on to get to Moyock. The roads were very nice through some farm country and made for some very enjoyable cruising under the hot humid sun. This was my second foray into NC and the northeast corner is most impressive. We will have take a ride on the outer banks some day soon and check out Elizabeth City. Around here you have to do some riding to get to the nicer roads, but there is so much to see that is new for me and fairly easy to get to.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-18-2008, 03:55 AM   #2

OK Bruce, where've you been since this write-up?
I know you're in love and all that mushy stuff, but geez it's like you dropped off the face of the earth. Post up a "life is good in Va Beach" or something.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #3

I was thinking the same thing LW!!

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 10-29-2008, 02:56 AM   #4

Well, Bruce is at least logging into the forum every few days even if he isn't posting up.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:21 PM   #5

He never says good night on the main forum any more either.But,I suppose I might have better things to do at that time if I were in a new relationship.Now where is that smiley face icon? :) Found it.LOL.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Hello all. Sorry, haven't been around too much, but I have still been getting in some riding. Rode out to Jamestown last Sunday to see the glassblowing display and took the ferry over to Suffolk and got back home that way. Got pretty cool out for this Vermonter with my summer jacket and got back home late. Been commuting to Norfolk where I work every day on the bike. Was 30F yesterday, but not bad riding. I'm on my own this weekend so I plan to venture into NC down to at least Elizabeth City, but can't go too far as I have to get back to let the dogs out. Need very badly to give the bike a good wash and polish. Hope the weather is wamer later so I can get that done.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #7

We are going to have to plan a ride now that you are in Virginia Beach Bruce. I am super busy with juggling work, family and my college class. However, I am definitely up for a ride even if it is only to get out for a cup of coffee some evening after work. Give me a call or send me a pm. I keep my cell phone on my desk at work and the only time I don't answer it is when I am in a meeting.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Sounds cool. I am planning on getting out to enjoy the foliage this Sunday. I spent Tuesday and Wednesday in NC courtesy of work and the trees are just about peak color. Went on some very nice rides last Sat & Sun in and around Elizabeth City and out through Suffolk on routes 13, 17 & 168. Will give you a call soon.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #9

Bruce,,GLAD to see your up and kicking LOL....13 is a nice ride,,and you must do the bay bridge on the Bike,,Its a gas.... and I rode 17 alot to visit my father in Edenton NC... LOVE the Swamp area :)..... KEEP JUNE 09 in mind,,, we will be at www.naturalbridgeva.com GREAT riding in the BRP..... I will be posting when the time comes,BUT if you can head there before the season ends......WORTH the trip....Used to ride alot in Norfolk/Va. Beach area.I was ststioned there 3 years ...........Ride Safe Rich
and remember the song?? Dont let the DOGs out LOL