Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-29-2008, 09:45 AM   #1

What's your most embarrassing drop?

Nothing funny about dropping your scoot, but if yourself or your bike don't get damaged, then you have to laugh it off as one of life's experiences. My most embarrassing drop was when I first picked up my '83 CB1000 after trading in my Suzuki 425, I was living in Vancouver at the time and came to my first stop at a major, and busy, intersection. I stopped at the light, put my foot down and didn't realize that there was a big pot hole right under my foot. Not being used to the weight of the Honda, and the bike being taller, the bike kept leaning over and took me with it. I could only step away from my laid down bike and listen to the honks from all the motorists. Then I had to really grunt to pick her up, brushed off my pride and rode off at the next green light.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #2

Years ago I was in a hurry and jumped on my bike(not the Nomad) I took off and a second later was going over the handlebars, all within about 6 feet of where I was parked. I realized I forgot to unlock the steering. The only thing hurt was my pride and a scraped clutch lever and turn signal lens. Iwill never forget to unlock the steering again.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt

My worst one to date..(and I'm in NO hurry to beat it) was when I first got my Nomad. I got it home and decided to take the wife for a quick ride around our neighborhood. She jumped on and we were off.... about 100 yards down the street, a sprinkler head had busted and started shooting a water bridge across the road in front of us. I was in the middle of deciding should I, shouldn't I when I noticed it wasn't just a "bridge", but was a "wall" of water and tried to slam on my brakes to avoid going through and getting us soaked. In slamming on the brakes, it made her lean forward pretty hard and I wasn't ready for the weight shift...so the bike started to drop to the left side. I was doing my best to hold it up...while it was actually starting to rest a little on the left front engine guard. She asked me what I wanted her to do...and it was all I could do to tell her to get off!!! LOL! I managed to pull it back upright, but it got far enough over for the kill switch to activate. Kind of freaked me out when it wouldn't start back up.... I went ahead and shut it all the way off and turned it back on and she started right back up. I didn't let her go all the way down...but let me tell y'all.... NOMADS ARE HEAVY!!!!! LOL!

Old 05-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
Mega-Contributor

My most embarrassing drop was back in 1982. I was working as an auto mechanic and was riding a Honda CB125. In the shop on Friday nights one of us would walk across the parking lot to a grocery store and buy a couple of 12-packs of beer, then we'd sit around and drink and BS for awhile after the shop closed. This one Friday, after I did some drinking, I went back to the store and bought a 12 pack to take home. I had no way to tie it down, so I was riding home with the 12 pack in a brown paper sack sitting on the gas tank, held in place by my knees. (Hey, it seemed like a great idea at the time). I came to an intersection where I had to make a right turn and hit some sand on the roadway and the tires slid out from under me and down I went. The 12 pack went down and broke open and cans of beer were scattered around. I wasn't hurt, and I got right up and got the bike back up, the guy in the car behind me put on his flashers and helped me round up the wayward cans of beer.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-29-2008, 10:45 AM   #5

I was on a poker run; riding an Ultra Classic that I just got.
Where I had to park, there was an incline, so, I parked it in gear (I NEVER do that), and made a mental note about it.
When we came back out to leave, my wife and I both forgot.
I hit the button, it lurched forward off the stand, one of my buds was on the left side, so he grabbed it, just as I pulled the clutch, and helped my stand her back up. He started ragging on me, till my wife reminded him about the 3 times he did the same thing!!
LOL !

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #6

All of them!

Old 05-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #7

My brother and a bunch of friends were riding one day and stopped for lunch at a busy diner. I parked my Honda 450, got off and walked away. Well walked about one step and heard the bike hit the parking lot. Forgot to put the kick stand down :-[
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 05-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #8

Saturday I was riding with a group up in the Smokey MTS. on a road that goes thru the Nantahala River valley, was making a left turn into a restaurant while on a steeply banked curve. I had to stop for a car to pass, and when I put my foot down, there wasn't any road there. By the time my foot contacted the road (which by this time was behind me near the saddlebag) the bike was already leaning WAY over, and with the weight of the bike and wife, I couldn't stop it from tipping on over. On that incline of the banked curve, it was laying there almost up-side down . The only damages were a scratched left saddlebag handle and guard bar, and the left top of the fairing right above the speaker on the outside . The worst part was that I had about 200 spectators .
But like the saying goes............$hit Happens!

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 05-29-2008, 11:23 AM   #9

I've had my fair share and I think they were all just as embarrasing.

Don't feel bad TC I'd bet forgetting to put the kickstand down is one of the most common from people I've talked to. Hey you get distracted by someone or something and you just forget.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #10

My most embarrassing: was on a cross country, in San Diego, Ca I hooked up with an old girl friend. We went for a ride for lunch to a local McD's. parked right in front of the place...big huge windows....after we ate went out to the bike , I mounted first...when she got on she grabbed my shoulders and threw her weight completely to the right...same thing that happened to vulcane happened to me, bike went over and hit the ground pretty good. I stood up, turned around facing the window and every last person in the resturant was giving us a standing ovation!!

Old 05-29-2008, 12:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightdoc

I hooked up with an old girl friend. We went for a ride for lunch to a local McD's.
I'm thinking you didn't get any for old times sake after only taking her to McD's ;)

BTW, great story!

Old 05-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #12
Advanced Member

mine was the same as TC, about 20 or so watching and I just walk away from it about two steps and down she went no damage just a red face. I will say they have great balance lol
ride safe.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #13

In 2002 I had a Honda 750 ACE. One Sunday
Morning I was going thru a little town where
the highway made a 90 degree right
turn by a church at a cross road. The
church was letting out, people all around
visiting each other. I was going slow trying
not to disturb. I leaned the bike to far while
negotiating the turn and hung the right side
crash bar on the pavement and it spun me
around 180 degree (like a pivot ) at which
point I had to get off stand the bike back
upright. I didn't hang around to discuss with
all the spectators. A couple guys ask if I was
alright, I said yep and off I went never to be
seen again. :-[ :-[ :-[
VBA #146

Old 05-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #14

I had one that was "viewed" as it happened, so that's gotta be the one.

I had pulled into the lot at a take-out restaurant & missed all the open parking spaces. I flipped a u-turn and as I started to hoist the bike up with the clutch I stalled it. I'd neglected to shift down to first when I rolled into the lot.

To make it worse, as I was leaving the lot someone backed their car right out in front of me. I locked up the brakes and stopped on a dime, but they just kept comming, turning into my bike as they backed up. (Freaking moron looking in the mirrors to back up.) I started back pedaling furiously with my feet like Fred Flintstone, and backed right into a pedestrian who walked out between the cars without looking. Of course I was looking at the guy trying to hit me. Fortunately he didn't, the pedestrian wasn't hurt, and my chop suey was still hot when I got home.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #15

Here's my almost embarrassing one.

Last week when Ells and I went for the lookout mtn ride, I was waiting for him on a side street that intersected the agreed upon location street. After waiting a bit, I saw a place a half block up the road that was wide, and looked like a better spot for him to pull in behind me. I decided to back up a few feet, and pull around the corner to the other spot.

As I backed up the couple of feet, and as the bike was leaned over to turn it, the rear wheel dropped into a pot hole. That was totally unexpected, and as I was leaned over a bit, down it went.

There was nobody around to see it, but if Ells had come around the corner just in time to see me picking it back up, that would have left me red faced.

I totally got away with it, till this thread came along :)