Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rallies & Rides > 2018 CanadaEast/Northeast U.S. Rally

Old 07-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #1

Pissed Baddeck Rally That Just Keeps Giving

So far prior to leaving for Baddeck I flushed my gas tank and lines. Replaced the Fuel Filter and Fuel Pump. On the ride I had spark issue, felt it was the battery. So even though the battery was only a couple years old, swopped it out in North Sydney. Then continued with everyone enjoying ridding the island. On my way home from my overnight in Truro, the voltage meter on the bike started to fluctuate between 12.6V to 11.8V not good. Turning everything off not needed made no difference.
Just retuned from having the Stator tested, there lied the problem. The Stator connector to the rear of the Duel Stators was melted and burnt. So "New Duel Stators And Connectors" are ordered, and should be here by ( I hope ) Friday.
One very good battery thrown away. But the good side, I was able to still ride with my " VERY GOOD FRIENDS ". So it was worth the price of a battery to do so, " NO REGRETS ".
If you are looking for bike parts at reasonable prices check out this web site. They have both Canadian and American decisions.

rmstator.com (be sure you're on the correct site for where you are)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-24-2018, 04:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
So far prior to leaving for Baddeck I flushed my gas tank and lines. Replaced the Fuel Filter and Fuel Pump. On the ride I had spark issue, felt it was the battery. So even though the battery was only a couple years old, swopped it out in North Sydney. Then continued with everyone enjoying ridding the island. On my way home from my overnight in Truro, the voltage meter on the bike started to fluctuate between 12.6V to 11.8V not good. Turning everything off not needed made no difference.
Just retuned from having the Stator tested, there lied the problem. The Stator connector to the rear of the Duel Stators was melted and burnt. So "New Duel Stators And Connectors" are ordered, and should be here by ( I hope ) Friday.
One very good battery thrown away. But the good side, I was able to still ride with my " VERY GOOD FRIENDS ". So it was worth the price of a battery to do so, " NO REGRETS ".
If you are looking for bike parts at reasonable prices check out this web site. They have both Canadian and American decisions.

rmstator.com (be sure you're on the correct site for where you are)

Glad you were able to ride with every one. Based on past experience I would forgo the connectors and just hard wire the stator. I have had those connectors melt twice now. Make sure it is a good, well-sautered (if that's how you spell it) splice.
2011 Rally in the Redwoods, CA
2013 National, Estes Park, CO
2013 SE Regional, Blairsville, GA
2014 NW Regional, Orifino, ID
2014 NC/SC Regional in the Ozarks, AR
2016 NC Regional, Hillsboro, WI
2016 E. Canada/NE Regional, Quebec
2017 National, Lake George, NY
2018 SC/NC, Custer, SD
2018 Antlers, OK

Old 07-24-2018, 04:55 PM   #3

Noel Its spelled "Soldered"
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 07-24-2018, 06:20 PM   #4

A multi meter would have been handy on the trip to see what was going on. Your stator (s) were obviously putting out power when Mike boosted you Pete, having said that I wouldn’t have missed the chance to test my crash gear!

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-24-2018, 07:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
A multi meter would have been handy on the trip to see what was going on. Your stator (s) were obviously putting out power when Mike boosted you Pete, having said that I wouldn’t have missed the chance to test my crash gear!
The problem was intermittent, hardly noticeable. Just seemed like a bad battery. From Truro home, once the bike got good and hot is when the problem became very noticeable. Phoned my machanic Monday morning, he advised me to have the Stator tested. If it passed then change out the Voltage Regulator. Didn't need to go that far. Once the cover was removed, the problem was quite visible.
I look at it this way, I was able to enjoy the rally and make it home after. I'll be back on the road in no time.
" SO! NEWFOUNDLAND NEXT ?"

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-24-2018, 08:12 PM   #6

Speak to Cindy, Newfoundland was her idea.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-24-2018, 10:07 PM   #7

Quote:
The problem was intermittent, hardly noticeable. Just seemed like a bad battery. From Truro home, once the bike got good and hot is when the problem became very noticeable. Phoned my machanic Monday morning, he advised me to have the Stator tested. If it passed then change out the Voltage Regulator. Didn't need to go that far. Once the cover was removed, the problem was quite visible.
I look at it this way, I was able to enjoy the rally and make it home after. I'll be back on the road in no time.
" SO! NEWFOUNDLAND NEXT ?"
You should still get the stator and R/R tested. It's an easy test. Noel is right, though, solder the wires and skip the connectors.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #8

Received the battery booster in the mail today. It is now fully charged, manual read, and ready to Putin my side bag. I may never need it but someone may.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
You should still get the stator and R/R tested. It's an easy test. Noel is right, though, solder the wires and skip the connectors.
The inner stater was fried, amazed I was able to get home. As I'm changing one, I feel it best to swop out both. Which is recommended anyway. Had a tail /indicator light out yesterday (was checking the bike over, post trip), so changed them both. I save the good one for an emergency.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #10

Good to hear you got to the bottom of things Pete, as for your indicator light burning out, I think you wore it out at the Tremblant rally!

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #11

I hope this solves your issues. It is amazing that you made it through the ride after you installed the new battery. How the heck you got all the way home before the new battery died is beyond me, unless the outer stator was putting out just enough current to keep you going that long.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber63 View Post
Thank you!
2011 Rally in the Redwoods, CA
2013 National, Estes Park, CO
2013 SE Regional, Blairsville, GA
2014 NW Regional, Orifino, ID
2014 NC/SC Regional in the Ozarks, AR
2016 NC Regional, Hillsboro, WI
2016 E. Canada/NE Regional, Quebec
2017 National, Lake George, NY
2018 SC/NC, Custer, SD
2018 Antlers, OK

Old 07-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
I hope this solves your issues. It is amazing that you made it through the ride after you installed the new battery. How the heck you got all the way home before the new battery died is beyond me, unless the outer stator was putting out just enough current to keep you going that long.
Voltage was ranging from 11.8 to 12.1 when I arrived home. Voltage started to fluctuate from 12.5 to 12.1 an hour into my 4 1/2hour ride home. When I arrived home I didn't shut it off until it was parked in the barn. You are right, I was lucky. Even luckier to be able to make the trip. Was starting to think I had a Gremlin in the bike

Old 07-26-2018, 02:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber63 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger: Black Hills View Post
Thank you!
Troy there is an apostrophe between the T and the S!
Actually we don’t care about grammar or spelling in the North East section, so long as you post.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-27-2018, 12:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Voltage was ranging from 11.8 to 12.1 when I arrived home. Voltage started to fluctuate from 12.5 to 12.1 an hour into my 4 1/2hour ride home. When I arrived home I didn't shut it off until it was parked in the barn. You are right, I was lucky. Even luckier to be able to make the trip. Was starting to think I had a Gremlin in the bike
You definitely had a gremlin. Probably Stripe.