Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #1

Do you get back on???

I am a new member, a new Nomad rider(since June), but have riden motorcycles for years. Never had a problem, never reaced, always careful and diligent. That all changed on 7/14/07 when I had to lay my bike down to avoid a car that was turning in front of me. He never looked at me. I kept waiting for him to turn his head, but he never did. The things that flash through your mind!! I am thankful my daighter was not with me, she rides with me often.

I broke my tibia and fibula on my left leg. Now I am getting all kinds of opinions: SELL the bike, YOU are nuts to ride again, etc. I am looking forward to riding again, but I am sure I will be a little scared. I am adding a light bad and modulator. Any thoughts??

I have hired a lawyer and have begun that process. The driver of the car was ticketed. WHY CAN"T THEY SEE US!!!!

bartfly

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-28-2007, 03:39 PM   #2

Do you get back on???

Welcome bartly. Sorry to hear about your mishap. That's part of the risk of riding a bike. Knowing you are not seen and have a great chance of getting run over. Take it all in and give it time before you decide one way or the other on riding. If you're inclined to do so, I would say the sooner you can get back on the better. Just my .02 worth.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:53 PM   #3

Do you get back on???

Thanks Kawgirl. I am still using a walker and won't be "ride ready" for another month at least. Bike is being repaired. I don't know how I will fell when I get on it again. Time will tell. I lost my wife to cancer two years ago(she was 44), and many people think I may make my daughter an orphan. Tough call...

bartfly

Old 08-28-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Do you get back on???

Be careful in the litigation process. If it was truely an accident, is suing going to help? If my medical bills were paid and lost wages and bike repaired or replaced with a truely sorry driver I'd be more inclined to forgive that get even. I do know how P*ssed off you must be! We all have had drivers pinch us off the road or something!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-28-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Do you get back on???

Bartfly, I had a head on with a car the day before I was getting married dislocated knee and some road rash. I will tell you I was a little scared the first time I rode another bike which was only a week later. I thought every car was pulling out in front of me. That feeling went away after only a short time but now I am very careful about watching out for cars. Take your time heal up and then decide if you are going to ride again or not. Just my .02 worth.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #6

Do you get back on???

Welcome and i hope you heal fast. The folks that say your nuts to get back on and ride. My question to them is if they had a accident in car would you still drive a car????? sure they woudl and so would you so no difference if you ask me. Get back up on your horse and carry on my two wheel brother.... LOL :-)

Old 08-28-2007, 07:38 PM   #7

Do you get back on???

"I had to lay my bike down to avoid a car that was turning in front of me. "

I don't understand this statement. I'm not being a wise ass but if you lay the bike down it would seem to me it would slide farther than if you just hit the brakes and keep the rubber on the road.
How did laying it down help you avoid the car? Just curious.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-28-2007, 08:07 PM   #8

Do you get back on???

Quote:
I am adding a light bad and modulator. Any thoughts??

bartfly
Even with a brake flasher and headlight modulator you have to pretend you're invisible. It's hard to tell what people are thinking about or not thinking about when they drive. (even when they're not talking on the cell phone or writing a text message.)

Old 08-28-2007, 08:29 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Do you get back on???

Anytime you lose control of a bike, that is a bad thing. I also hate hearing, I laid the bike down". Nonsense. Now, you can say I lost control of the bike because I braked too hard the bike slid. Ok, that I understand. If you truly "laid" it down, that is nuts.

Quote:
"I had to lay my bike down to avoid a car that was turning in front of me. "

I don't understand this statement. I'm not being a wise ass but if you lay the bike down it would seem to me it would slide farther than if you just hit the brakes and keep the rubber on the road.
How did laying it down help you avoid the car? Just curious.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 08-28-2007, 08:31 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Do you get back on???

Oh yeah, to answer your question, probably not. Take an ERC first.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 08-28-2007, 08:33 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Do you get back on???

Bartfly, first off welcome from one of your GODS. You may rise.

All seriousness aside, the main thing to think about is that you are alive, regaining your health and your daughter wasn't with you. Don't live in the "what ifs", otherwise you will drive yourself crazy.

VC made the most astute comment though, if you had a wreck in a car, you would still drive. I know it's scary, but you get up, dust yourself off and confront your fears, otherwise they will control you.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 08-28-2007, 08:36 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Do you get back on???

Bartfly, sorry to here about your accident. But the saying is true: its not if your going down but when your going down. it happens and sounds as if you did a great job of saving your a## I have been down twice {in 25years}too the cages whom all say "I did not see you", both times by the grace of god my wife was not with me, it has made me a much better rider [in my eyes] and have had the same statements made to me [your nuts-you have lost your mind etc..] I was on my bike with in a month both times. lesson to learn from it "never ever trust the cage driver".I hope you still ride. my 2.5 cents worth. heal fast -ride safe.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:37 PM   #13

Do you get back on???

I "laid a bike down" 20+ yrs ago.

Translation: "I pannicked thinking I could not swerve to avoid an accident and I lost control & fell"

Either way...... you went down. Heal up and get back on that bike and ride!

Get spotlights, use you horn, louder pipes, orange vest, anything that makes you more visible.........

AND RIDE AS IF EVERY CAR OUT THERE IS INTENTIONALLY TRYING TO HIT YOU!

You'll be fine.... Ride on!

Nico

p.s. I just went down Saturday.... I can't wait to ride again!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #14

Do you get back on???

Ditto mate get straight back on one, I have been down twice in 20 years and still love riding
and make youself seen and heard loud pipes save lives.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:19 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Do you get back on???

This is #1.

Quote:
I "laid a bike down" 20+ yrs ago.

AND RIDE AS IF EVERY CAR OUT THERE IS INTENTIONALLY TRYING TO HIT YOU!

Nico

p.s. I just went down Saturday.... I can't wait to ride again!

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT