Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
Advanced Member

That......was no fun!!

Probably should've known better. But I was just not going to a Southern Cruisers monthly meeting and supper in my truck, especially 60 miles away. Everything was OK until after the meeting when we were all leaving at around 7:40 and it was just getting dark. We've had a lot of rain late in the afternoons and evenings here lately. I could see the lightning and hear the thunder, so I put on my full-face helmet and rain jacket, but not the pants, another mistake. 10 miles down the road the floodgates opened and for the next 40 miles I could barely see the roads. It was the 'sideways' kind of rain, too. I was kinda thankful for the lightning as so it helped light up the road. The main problem was for 25 miles I could barely see the lines on the road. Probably didn't get much over 40-45. Ran through many little ponds and ruts in the road and the Nomad made it through like a breeze. Never lost traction despite a nearly-bald rear tire (just ordered a Metzeler 880 Monday morning and it should be in tomorrow. Was between Avon Cobras, Dunlop E3's and the 880s. Some told me at the meeting that the 880s tread water better so I went with 'em. All good tires.)... And I could've done without those two does crossing my path like they were on a mission to wreck me. .... Anyway, I was so glad to make it home that night. On a positive note, I figured if I could make it through that kind of stuff, I could probably survive most anything. So, on that particular night I was confident that beast I was riding would get me home in one piece, and she did. But, I will try not to make a habit of it! That was not a fun ride home! Jamie

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-16-2009, 09:32 PM   #2

That......was no fun!!

Ahh the joys of riding in the rain. Welcome to the survivors club.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 09-16-2009, 09:36 PM   #3

That......was no fun!!

At least you made it home ok, thats the main thing. I think all the tires today tread water well, Hopefully your new ME880 will serve you well.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
Advanced Member

That......was no fun!!

I forgot to mention that it was a curvy 25 mile section that made matters worse. Jamie

Old 09-16-2009, 10:21 PM   #5

That......was no fun!!

Riding in storms can sure be a white-knuckle experience. Glad to hear you made it home ok.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #6

That......was no fun!!

Any ride is a good ride......So long as you get to do it again tomorrow. One thing I've noticed about rain. It enhances my prayer life. ;) Glad you survived to post.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:09 AM   #7
Advanced Member

That......was no fun!!

My favorite Clint Eastwood line is, "A man's got to know his limits." You've pushed your envelope and have a lot better idea about the implications of similar situations you'll face in the future.

Congratulations.

The unmentioned implication of the quote, however, is that we find our limits by gaining experience in which we mutter something like, "Whoops, I guess THAT was my limit."

Old 09-17-2009, 06:18 AM   #8
VBA Founder

That......was no fun!!

Ahh....you are now a more experienced rider, Jamie. While they always test us, rides like that make us better riders. Now you know how to handle riding in the rain. Put that on your riding resume.

The worst ride I ever took was on Hwy 64 between Chama, NM and Taos, NM. It was late in the evening and we couldn't find a hotel for the night, so we had to mush on to Taos.

Dark fell and it was cold and began to rain. I rode three hours through a mountainous region at about 30 mph the whole way. Wet, cold and mentally strained, we finally made it to Taos, NM. I hope I never do that again, but it made me appreciate the rides I take on sunny days.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 09-17-2009, 06:36 AM   #9

That......was no fun!!

I agree,rides like that enhance your riding abilities and you will appreciate riding on the next "sunny & 80 degrees" day.
Glad you made it home unscathed.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:06 AM   #10
Advanced Member

That......was no fun!!

Glad to hear you made it home safe.

I've been riding for many years and the rain never bothered me until just about a month ago. I was coming home from work (80 miles) and it was pouring outside, the rain was sideways like you mentioned and I could barley see the road. None of that bothered me until the lightning started and was hitting all around me. I saw two light posts get hit within 50 yards of me and a tree had a branch blown off.

Lightning is the only thing that has ever scared the crap out of me when riding in the rain.
KawaNOW #00454
IBA# 42214

2007 Nomad
2008 Concours

Old 09-17-2009, 10:50 AM   #11

That......was no fun!!

You made it, that is success. I always have a conundrum in those Can't see storms over whether I should stop and pull over and hope everyone passing can see the lines, slow down to where I can see the lines and get whacked from someone behind me who doesn't care. Or maintain what I think is the speed of the traffic and hold position. I usually end up trying to match what I think traffic is doing although not always and hoping that will keep the cages off me.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:05 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

That......was no fun!!

In lighter rain I go faster to stay drier. In hard rain I slow down to see. Fog will stop me dead, as I can't see...

Lighting is no fun when white hot rocks are being blown around to who knows where.

Once hiking that happened to me and i ran. I mean I dropped my pack and ran.

Once again that happened to me in high Utah and on the 1500, and i ran then too, but much faster on the bike.

I lost a buddy who hit a tree lighting took down, and he rode into the tree! Watch it in lightning..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 09-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to dabull
That......was no fun!!

you definite get more in tune with the bike and your surroundings...

Old 09-17-2009, 10:18 PM   #14
Advanced Member

That......was no fun!!

I've been in some pretty hard rain before, just not at night. That's a whole different ballgame.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:17 AM   #15

That......was no fun!!

Glad you made it home! I don't mind rain except when it is a deluge. If it is even a light rain, and the sky and forecast look like it's going to get worse, I put my rainsuit on. I may get warm at times, but it's much better than getting soaked. Worst part is trying to keep the visor from fogging. Add lightning and I'm looking for somewhere to sit it out. I guess if you're out in the open with nowhere to "hide", you just move along as quickly and safely as possible.