Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #181

Plugs themselves should be fine. Good luck.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #182

[QUOTE=galax83061;556435]
Quote:
Originally Posted by galax83061 View Post
I have been to the East!!!!
Thanks Dan. I'll figure it out eventually.

VBA #02442
VROC Member
PGR (Patriot Guard Riders)
MMCI (Masonic Motorcycle Club International)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Author Unknown

01 Kaw Nomad 1500 (Vintage Red)

Old 02-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #183
Top Contributor

Gas tank venting properly ? Try running the bike with the gas cap off ?

Old 02-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Gas tank venting properly ? Try running the bike with the gas cap off ?
Great idea. I got your PM and 'll try to crank it with the cap off and see what happens. Won't hurt.

VBA #02442
VROC Member

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Author Unknown

Last edited by Bamabrat; 02-21-2014 at 11:54 AM.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #185

Bama after all that work on the fuel system you are still getting the exact same symptoms as on your very first post.
Why do I get the feeling we are barking up the wrong tree here.

Look if your accelerator pump is working when you twist the throttle and getting a good squirt of gas into the carb and the motor still won't fire then it ain't a fuel problem mate.

I read back through your post and unless I missed it I can't see anywhere where you said you had a good healthy spark.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #186

If you are going to check the float level again, try this.........
Adjust the float if necessary.
Make sure the main jet circuit is clear while your there.........check the manual.
Reasemble the carb. No fuel.
Attach a hose to the fuel inlet of the carb.
Turn the carb upside down and blow with your mouth into the hose...........no air should pass through.
Now turn the carb right side up and blow in the hose again..............some air should pass through now.
If your carb passes this test there is a high probability the float is working as it should and you have the fuel level good enough to at least get the motor started.

To test the fuel delivery
Run a hose from the tank/pump into a large clear container
Turn ign on and hit the start button, you should see heaps of fuel coming outa that hose.

By the way, take all the necessary precautions when playing around with fuel, ie don't swallow any

Last edited by muz; 02-21-2014 at 07:43 PM.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #187

Chemtool is just one brand of spray carb cleaner . Yes your plugs are ok I just want to see if it fires up when You spray carb cleaner in the throttle bore while you crank it .Any good spray carb cleaner will work but I would rather You stay away from starting fluid or either !Let Me Know if it trys to or starts then maybe one of the Guys can tell Us to go to look for the fuel problem.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #188

Muz is making good since on next places to go .

Old 02-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
If you are going to check the float level again, try this.........
Adjust the float if necessary.
Make sure the main jet circuit is clear while your there.........check the manual.
Reasemble the carb. No fuel.
Attach a hose to the fuel inlet of the carb.
Turn the carb upside down and blow with your mouth into the hose...........no air should pass through.
Now turn the carb right side up and blow in the hose again..............some air should pass through now.
If your carb passes this test there is a high probability the float is working as it should and you have the fuel level good enough to at least get the motor started.

To test the fuel delivery
Run a hose from the tank/pump into a large clear container
Turn ign on and hit the start button, you should see heaps of fuel coming outa that hose.

By the way, take all the necessary precautions when playing around with fuel, ie don't swallow any
Muz,
Thank you. The reason I keep on the "its a fuel problem" path is because it fires when I spray carb cleaner in the carb. Therefore, not electrical. I'm missing something. I can't deal with it tonight bc i have orders to fulfill. Tomorrow am while family is sleeping, I will work on testing the float and seeing if my plugs spark. I really appreciate all suggestions. I WILL try everything. Its an engine with a fuel issue. there are only so many options, right? Could the pop be the intake boot coming off? I made sure it was on last time, but maybe it came off? I didn't look until after I moved the carb, so not sure if I manually separated it or if it was like that

VBA #02442
VROC Member

Old 02-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #190

...I learned early-on, that my 2002 Nomad (Fuel Injection)...will "flood" and not start...on a cold start up -If I turn the throttle even a little bit while pressing the start button

As long as I dont touch the throttle..it always starts ! ...but it's the fuel injection model !

Old 02-21-2014, 11:11 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabrat View Post
Muz,
Thank you. The reason I keep on the "its a fuel problem" path is because it fires when I spray carb cleaner in the carb. Therefore, not electrical. I'm missing something. I can't deal with it tonight bc i have orders to fulfill. Tomorrow am while family is sleeping, I will work on testing the float and seeing if my plugs spark. I really appreciate all suggestions. I WILL try everything. Its an engine with a fuel issue. there are only so many options, right? Could the pop be the intake boot coming off? I made sure it was on last time, but maybe it came off? I didn't look until after I moved the carb, so not sure if I manually separated it or if it was like that
OK, is your accelerator pump working then? Coz if it is then something real strange is happening here.
Using chemtool as per Vulcanscotts suggestion is a good test but that product may have a different volatility than gas so it may fire even with a weak spark. Don't really know.
Try if you can to keep the apples with the apples

See, here is the thing, if your getting a squirt of gas from the accelerator pump that baby should fire right up or at least fart.

Last edited by muz; 02-21-2014 at 11:58 PM.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:16 AM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
OK, is your accelerator pump working then? Coz if it is then something real strange is happening here.
Using chemtool as per Vulcanscotts suggestion is a good test but that product may have a different volatility than gas so it may fire even with a weak spark. Don't really know.
Try if you can to keep the apples with the apples

See, here is the thing, if your getting a squirt of gas from the accelerator pump that baby should fire right up or at least fart.
When I twist the throttle, I can see the gas squirting into the carb. So fuel is going thru petcock, all lines, filter, pump, and float chamber. SHOULD fire, but won't.

VBA #02442
VROC Member

Old 02-22-2014, 12:23 AM   #193

Quote:
When I twist the throttle, I can see the gas squirting into the carb. So fuel is going thru petcock, all lines, filter, pump, and float chamber. SHOULD fire, but won't.
Still fires up on chemtool?

Old 02-22-2014, 12:33 AM   #194

Didn't do that tonight. Will in the am. Had to finish orders tonight

VBA #02442
VROC Member

Old 02-22-2014, 12:45 AM   #195

Quote:
Didn't do that tonight. Will in the am. Had to finish orders tonight
Thought I smelt a rat during previous posts.
Another test you can do as suggested by someone else on some other post is to..... In the pitch black dark try and start the bike while looking around the coils for any light shows. Moisture and dust on those coils and plug leads is a big no no. I think you are loosing spark somewhere. I think you will find as I previously suggested this problem will turn out to be electrical.
If you got fuel going into the carby throat you basically just eliminated the entire fuel system as a reason for a no start condition.
Just confirm it still starts on chemtool. Will look out for your post when you've done it.

Last edited by muz; 02-22-2014 at 12:47 AM.