Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > SouthWest Group

Old 01-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #16
Mega-Contributor

Anybody home????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist
I went for a 20 minute ride this weekend. It was freezing!!! but so worth it! I'm very envious of all you that live where you can ride all year long.

I have decided to ride down to Death Valley toward the end of February. Has anyone been there before? Is it a decent trip? Any recommendations?
Death Valley didn't get its name by accident. You should be fine in February. I've never been there, but have read many stories about riding there.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #17

Anybody home????

I checked out the weather report and the average high in Feb is in the low 80s. Should be perfect!
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 01-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #18
Mega-Contributor

Anybody home????

Quote:
I checked out the weather report and the average high in Feb is in the low 80s. Should be perfect!
Yeah it will be a nice change from Utah County for you that time of year. Seen the sun lately?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #19

Anybody home????

Not really. The smog and inversion has been horrible this year.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #20
Mega-Contributor

Anybody home????

Quote:
That's what I was getting at. I read the SL Tribune online every day and it seems the inversion has been especially bad this winter.

I used to work in a field service position when I lived in UT. Park City, Heber, Coalville, Evanston, etc were part of my territory. I'd leave the valley and by the time I hit Parleys Summit on I-80, it was sunny and warmer at 7,000 feet than it was in the valley at 4200 feet.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #21

Anybody home????

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
That's what I was getting at. I read the SL Tribune online every day and it seems the inversion has been especially bad this winter.

I used to work in a field service position when I lived in UT. Park City, Heber, Coalville, Evanston, etc were part of my territory. I'd leave the valley and by the time I hit Parleys Summit on I-80, it was sunny and warmer at 7,000 feet than it was in the valley at 4200 feet.
I lived in Sugar House on the east end. As soon as the roads were clear enough to get out after a storm, I'd head out to Park City on my bike just to get into the sun. There was only one corner where I'd have to watch for ice in the shade, the rest was usually clear not too many days after a storm due to the amount of salt used.

The shady corner would get snow melt rolling back out into the road, and eventually the salt would wash away allowing it to refreeze.

Coming back down was always kind of gross. When you were stuck in it, you could convince your self that it was all up above you high up. Driving back down out of the sun into the thick stew of pollution, thick enough to seem like cloud cover, was kind of gross.

I don't miss that at all in Denver.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #22

Anybody home????

Utah, if you got a clear shot of weather getting from Orem to St. George, you've got it made.

Don't get caught in a snowstorm coming back through and get stuck somewhere :)

Old 01-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #23
Mega-Contributor

Anybody home????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack

I lived in Sugar House on the east end. As soon as the roads were clear enough to get out after a storm, I'd head out to Park City on my bike just to get into the sun. There was only one corner where I'd have to watch for ice in the shade, the rest was usually clear not too many days after a storm due to the amount of salt used.

The shady corner would get snow melt rolling back out into the road, and eventually the salt would wash away allowing it to refreeze.

Coming back down was always kind of gross. When you were stuck in it, you could convince your self that it was all up above you high up. Driving back down out of the sun into the thick stew of pollution, thick enough to seem like cloud cover, was kind of gross.

I don't miss that at all in Denver.
During these inversions, the Wasatch Front has some of the worst air in the nation. It looks like Birmingham England during the industrial revolution.

I don't miss that crap at all. Phoenix has different air quality issues, mostly due to the dust in the air from the desert.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 01-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #24

Anybody home????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
Utah, if you got a clear shot of weather getting from Orem to St. George, you've got it made.

Don't get caught in a snowstorm coming back through and get stuck somewhere :)
Yeah that is my thought as well. If the weather is clear enough to to St. George, I should be able to have a nice weekend of riding.

I'm sure I will freeze my butt off until I get down south though. Hopefully the weather will be nice, maybe in the low 40s, during the last weekend of Feb.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:34 AM   #25

Anybody home????

Utah, I just mentioned Death Valley to CJ today on our ride. I've been thinking about riding up and checking it out while it's cool. Keep me posted I might head up and meet ya.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #26

Anybody home????

Quote:
Originally Posted by toophun
Utah, I just mentioned Death Valley to CJ today on our ride. I've been thinking about riding up and checking it out while it's cool. Keep me posted I might head up and meet ya.
Will let you know. Right now, the tentative plans are to go up the 26 and return the 29th of February.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #27

Anybody home????

I finally ordered some heated gloves. I got the Gerbing G3 model. I hope they help spring come sooner.