Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #1

Caddman Mod- Left Side Only

How many have done a left side only? Notice any improvement?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #2

I did left side only. I'm not sure how much it adds since I did the V&H pipes and TFI at the same time. I tried it on the right side but just didn't like the excessive noise.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:21 PM   #3

Here's a pic.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:31 AM   #4

Does doing the Caddman mod on the left side only provide any improvement in performance? It would seem that idea with the Caddman mod was to get more air into the engine by getting around the restrictive duct between the left side and the throttle body on the right side.

I did just the right side (frugal spectre 9 inch setup) and kept the left side "as is" with a K&N. I have a cobra 2000fi module and cobra slash-cut pipes and this mod not only improved the performance, but the sound. I finally "marbled" it and the exhaust sound has a much better tone with no pops. I left the solenoids hooked up, their clacking is no bother and when riding, they are not a bother at all. Of course, I wear ear plugs, so that no doubt helps.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #5

If you do just the left side and get more air in, won't that make the bike run leaner than it already is? It is pretty lean stock.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Doint the only left caddman does not add much more just a little more since the air still has to go thur the crossover tube and get super heated. it aint worth the K&N you have to add. Doint the right side and completely blocking off the left is the way to go because it adds a ton more air and cooler air to boot. Un hook the solenoids as they are too clickey clack. marble the tube and you can add a filter to the left for cosmetics and you have THE pkg. of course you must TFI and have V&H pipes for opitimum performance. :-)

Old 06-14-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Nearly pointless in my opinon. That cross over tube is all the air the bike can get just like before all stock.

With the duel Cadd kit you get most of the air the bike will and can use on the right filter, leaving ther left filter for show/ balanced looks...

BUT with V&H baggers, a TFI, with left side only there should be some improvement, as a all stock bike with no more than a TFI added has gotta be better than just stock, for the fact you can adjust out PING!

I run right side only left side dead naked, and No ISC's so all I hear is the air whoosing in and the exhaust note going out....

No clicking, unless at idle as the lifters clatter some. better to hear them than not anyway.

I have my TFI set so the bike spits and pops gurgles if i want and even pops out the exhaust...

This ain't my dear old grannies bike......

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-16-2009, 05:36 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc (Lonewolf)
Doint the only left caddman does not add much more just a little more since the air still has to go thur the crossover tube and get super heated. it aint worth the K&N you have to add. Doint the right side and completely blocking off the left is the way to go because it adds a ton more air and cooler air to boot. Un hook the solenoids as they are too clickey clack. marble the tube and you can add a filter to the left for cosmetics and you have THE pkg. of course you must TFI and have V&H pipes for opitimum performance. :-)
For the real total package, you need to installate baffles!

Old 06-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #9

I think that adding a left side still helps because it gives you cooler air. Stock configuration draws hot air in from between the cylinders. Once that's blocked off and you add the 9x2 filter you're getting cooler air which I think makes for a little better combustion.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzinger
I think that adding a left side still helps because it gives you cooler air. Stock configuration draws hot air in from between the cylinders. Once that's blocked off and you add the 9x2 filter you're getting cooler air which I think makes for a little better combustion.
Well maybe but it won;t be much if a maybe... The stock intake breather is located low on the back of the backing plate, where it will take in heated air, but the cross over pipe is also hot laying between the 2 clys and is going to heat the air more.

That cross over pipe has a lot of surface area, not to mention sharp corners where air is going to be nashed and bashed and not straighten out, and it will never straighten out and flow right because there is atleast (3) 90 degree bends, and (1) 180 degree bend for the air flow.

With the Cad kit the left side folter does zip and Cad would tell you so. That left side is just for even looks..

So far I have cut out 2 cross overs.. Both could be plastic welded again, and re-installed if someone wanted too.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-19-2009, 10:13 AM   #11

I gotta tell you guys. I agree with mac here. The left side is a waste. I am in custer and there are a few guys here that have done the right side and removed the crossover and removed the air box from the left completely and it looks awesome. It really shows off the engine.

I am pretty well convinced that is the way I will go with mine. Doesn't seem right to me to pay good money for a part like that if it is going to be useless. Unless you have a really cool air cleaner cover to put on it to add some bling then go ahead.