Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-31-2011, 07:46 PM   #1

Wrecked Bikes

Thinking about Scott's wrecked bike got me to wondering. When an insurance company totals a bike, what happens to that bike? Does the insurance company take ownership of it? I'm thinking Scott's bike would have a bunch of salvageable parts on it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-31-2011, 07:57 PM   #2

Wrecked Bikes

Like a car you can generally buy it back for a portion of the settlement.

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
2005 1600 Nomad "Tangerine Dream"
VBA #999
VROC #29355

Old 03-31-2011, 08:00 PM   #3

Wrecked Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Thinking about Scott's wrecked bike got me to wondering. When an insurance company totals a bike, what happens to that bike? Does the insurance company take ownership of it? I'm thinking Scott's bike would have a bunch of salvageable parts on it.
they will probably sell it to a salvage yard, they will strip it and sell it off part by part
2012 Ebony Black Kawasaski Concours 14

Old 03-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Wrecked Bikes

When the insurance co. totaled my 06, they sold it to a salvage yard. almost made me sick the way they threw it on a pallet and hauled it away ! Seemed to me that bike, even tho totaled deserved a lil more respect than that! ! I could have bought it from the insurance co for the totaled price, but i didnt.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:27 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Wrecked Bikes

That is one way insurance companies recoup their loss. I had a car that I totaled when I was like 17 or 18. A really sharp '57 Ford. They paid us to purchase another car. My mother talked the adjuster into letting us keep the wrecked car. Ended up and sold it.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #6

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Wrecked Bikes

With my last wreck, the insurance co. gave me a salvage price on my bike. It was resonable, but I was to banged up from the wreck to do anything with it, and the bike was a couple hundred miles away. They compensated me very well for the wreck.

I hated to see her go.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 04-01-2011, 12:07 AM   #7
Mega-Contributor

Wrecked Bikes

I didn't even inquire about buying back my bike, for a couple of reasons. 1 - I didn't want to fix it and obtain a salvage title. 2 - I didn't want to part it out and have to deal with the hassle of selling and shipping a bunch of stuff.

The adjustor did tell me if it wasn't for the frame damage, they wouldn't have totaled my bike and would have fixed it.

I did see in the total loss settlement work sheet the adjustor went over with me that the bike was going to a salvage yard in Phoenix. I'm glad I didn't have to watch it get loaded on a pallet with a forklift or something.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #8

Wrecked Bikes

When I wrecked my Suzuki 1100 about 28 years ago I bought it back from the insurance company for $500.00. I replaced the handlebars and a foot peg withing an hour of bringing it home and rode the bike another couple years until i sold it. It also had some very slight frame damage where a crashbar pushed in the frame a slight amount. You never would have noticed it unless you looked really close at it.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #9

Wrecked Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
When I wrecked my Suzuki 1100 about 28 years ago I bought it back from the insurance company for $500.00. I replaced the handlebars and a foot peg withing an hour of bringing it home and rode the bike another couple years until i sold it. It also had some very slight frame damage where a crashbar pushed in the frame a slight amount. You never would have noticed it unless you looked really close at it.
This is a very interesting topic. For those who chose to buy and fix the salvaged bike or car, how easy or difficult was it to insure? and did you have a very high premium?
KawaNOW #00755

Old 04-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #10

Wrecked Bikes

I'm not sure about insurance, but here, to plate the bike or car that has been declared totaled it must go through a mechanical inspection... And that could be a rough time
2012 Ebony Black Kawasaski Concours 14

Old 04-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #11

Wrecked Bikes

When I bought my bike back there was nothing to do at all, I fixed it and kept the insurance premium paid and just rode it. The Ministry of transport never would have known it was a writeoff, and it never changed ownership until I sold it a couple years later.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #12

Wrecked Bikes

I don't think it is legal to put a salvage bike on the road here in NY State. This state sucks in more ways than you can imagine. ::)
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 04-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
Mega-Contributor

Wrecked Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by egetaseb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
This is a very interesting topic. For those who chose to buy and fix the salvaged bike or car, how easy or difficult was it to insure? and did you have a very high premium?
It probably varies by state, but salvaged vehicles generally can only obtain liability coverage.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #14

Wrecked Bikes

I found here in nashville on the internet they have autions for wrecked bikes Good deals! Some from wrecks,floods,theft and other things Look some up in your area!

Old 04-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #15
Advanced Member

Wrecked Bikes

This is how I have acquired my last several bikes--buying salvage and restoring them. If you have room for projects and like to tinker, this is the way to go.

Up until the Nomad, my plan was to buy a salvage bike in late summer, restore it during the winter, title it in the spring and sell my previous bike (Since it is a restore, I feel better about selling it after I've ridden it for a year). I have a Victory Touring Cruiser waiting for me to really get serious about working on it. I REALLY like this Nomad.

With a salvage title, once I restore a bike, I have to get a safety inspection prior to getting a new title. My Nomad was a NY state bike. I had to get it to rideable condition, then take it back to NY for a theft inspection before I could get a salvage title from NY. I knew I would have to do that prior to buying the bike.

Insurance companies have various deals. After declaring a "total" bike, some have contracts with buyers that have agreed to buy the company's totalled bikes at a pre-determined percentage of book price. Buyer wins on bikes that have light damage; suffer on total losses.