Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #1

Thunder Tornado Air Intake / EJK/Engine Noise

over the winter months I installed the EJK and the Tornado Air Intake by Thunder Mfg and I finally got to ride the Vaquero last week. What a huge improvement over the stock set-up, no more hesitation on take off, when passing on the hwy or decel poping, but man can you hear the internal movements of the engine. I hope i'm not the only one able to hear the engine and just wondering if this is the norm. Not that it bothers me but when I accelerate on the hwy it almost sounds like a ping ping (metal on metal). I checked all fasteners, screws etc and everything is tight and the bike is running fine. Has anyone else who has an after market air intake experienced the same noise?

When I get back this summer, the ECU is off for a re-flash (Ivanized) and cant wait to get some miles on the bike

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-28-2016, 03:47 PM   #2

Yes, the ECU re-flash would be the way to go.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 05-28-2016, 11:30 PM   #3

If you leave that air intake on the bike you will still get that air intake noise regardless of the ECU flash. It's nothing to worry about, it just gives you an idea of the massive amount of air that the engine sucks in now that it's not hindered by the narrow stock setup.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:15 AM   #4

you will hear wooshing, clicking, thumping. All the internal workings of your motor with the after market breather. Some people never get used to it, like me. ;-)
VBA #02668
2014 Voyager ABS
Thunder Mfg Tear-drop breather
V&H Slip on's
Ivanated ECU
Air shocks with compressor and remote
Rear speaker kit
Clarion Amp
6.5" speaker adapters
Polk Audio 6.5" front speaker.
RACNRAY ISO grips with throttle mod.
Bushtek Turbo 2+ trailer
LED Headlight
LED Driving lights
Pulsating break light

Old 05-30-2016, 11:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSS View Post
over the winter months I installed the EJK and the Tornado Air Intake by Thunder Mfg and I finally got to ride the Vaquero last week. What a huge improvement over the stock set-up, no more hesitation on take off, when passing on the hwy or decel poping, but man can you hear the internal movements of the engine. I hope i'm not the only one able to hear the engine and just wondering if this is the norm. Not that it bothers me but when I accelerate on the hwy it almost sounds like a ping ping (metal on metal). I checked all fasteners, screws etc and everything is tight and the bike is running fine. Has anyone else who has an after market air intake experienced the same noise?

When I get back this summer, the ECU is off for a re-flash (Ivanized) and cant wait to get some miles on the bike
I just installed a Thunder teardrop intake and the closest description i can come up with for the sound it makes is a rapid ssht ssht ssht when getting on throttle and going up hills.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-31-2016, 07:32 AM   #6
Top Contributor

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...t=intake+noise

Old 06-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #7
Advanced Member

You have to consider how large the intake ports are on the throttle body for the 1700s. They're huge so naturally, we hear the air getting sucked in those big holes when you get the butterflies open! It is just functionality as you are now hearing what really happens in there + the other electronic functions in the TB as well. One thing I noticed is how quickly the filter oil gets sucked away and needs spraying a little sooner but well worth it. I really love the sound after the motor passes the 2,000 rpm mark on it's way to the peak with the throttle open wide...especially after the Ivan tune.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSS View Post
[snip]... just wondering if this is the norm. Not that it bothers me but when I accelerate on the hwy it almost sounds like a ping ping (metal on metal). I checked all fasteners, screws etc and everything is tight and the bike is running fine. Has anyone else who has an after market air intake experienced the same noise?

What Zeineth said.
Yes, it is normal. The stock air box and passage mutes those sounds. I didn't get over it either...
IVANizing solved the problem though

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 06-02-2016, 07:00 PM   #9

Everything is a trade off.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 06-02-2016, 08:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
Everything is a trade off.

I still can't decide whether I want air before my Ivanization in less than two weeks.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanD View Post
I still can't decide whether I want air before my Ivanization in less than two weeks.
Decisions, More air equals more intake noise.

VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 06-02-2016, 11:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
Decisions, More air equals more intake noise.

And power!