Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #1

Question RPM/Engine Speed & Riding Style

I was reading through Vulcan gadgets site to try to learn the new Nomad a little better and I came across the part about maintaining the right gear to keep your RPM up above 2500. The speed/RPM calculator was especially eye opening. The specific text reads:

"Lugging the engine (riding at too slow a speed for the riders choice of transmission gear) causes the engine to be very sluggish so the rider rolls on more throttle, dumping a lot of fuel into the cylinders that can't be burned so a lot of that turns to carbon. Eventually the carbon sticking to pistons and valves develops little feathery edges which become hot spots.

DO NOT LUG THE ENGINE.

Different engines like different rpm ranges but for the Vulcan 1500/1600 torque is being made beginning around 2500 rpm, peak horsepower around 5000 rpm. The riders job is to keep the rpm inside that range at all times and higher is generally better."

My riding style has always been to find the RPM that keeps the bike "quiet" and generally try to minimize the RPM. My first bike has loud pipes (which i didn't like) and I developed that habit that has stayed with me. I just assumed keeping the RPM low was good on mileage and better for the engine, at the expense of slower acceleration in that higher gear.

For example, on the Nomad/sidecar setup, I may be going 45 or 50 in 3rd and drop it down to 4th to keep the RPM low. I'll usually roll on the throttle while staying in 4th, accepting that acceleration is slow. When I do this, am I dumping a bunch of fuel in the engine? Is this a poor way to ride? Should I always be downshifting before accelerating? Would I be getting better mileage by running at slightly higher RPM, even though that seems counterintuitive?

My previous bikes have always seemed to have the HP to accelerate reasonably well no matter what hear I'm in, but I'm really noticing the chugging and lugging on this heavy sidecar rig (and I am stalling out more frequently because of it). If I don't need to be scared of revving the engine, be it for mileage or engine life, someone set me straight by confirming Gadget's info.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-21-2017, 01:21 AM   #2

I had to read your other posts to find out what bike you're even talking about... So perhaps you could make yourself a sig line of some sort? I checked in the new member introductions first, but nothing - you might introduce yourself in there too if you like?

But anyway... You've by & large answered your own question. If you've stalled it at all, you're running it at too low a rev-range. You could take it out on the freeway & try to hit the rev limiter in the first couple of gears (you probably won't manage that in third gear & up). I'll guarantee you'll see some smoke from the exhaust in your rear view mirrors... Lugging it around won't do the engine any favors at all, these aren't HD's, they like to rev.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 06-21-2017, 02:27 AM   #3

Low RMP for me is 2000. If conditions require a slower speed that takes the RPM below that point, I'm shifting down. Generally speaking, around town, I'm running between 2000 and 3500. That where I find the best power to gear ratio. If you need to get out into traffic, you can certainly run it up to 5000 without any issues, but you better be ready to hang on. These Vulcan's will get with the program at those engine speeds.

Enjoy the ride
VBA #03514

2002 Vulcan VN1500L Nomad fi
Pearl Burnish Beige/Pearl Luster Beige

Old 06-21-2017, 09:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
I had to read your other posts to find out what bike you're even talking about... So perhaps you could make yourself a sig line of some sort? I checked in the new member introductions first, but nothing - you might introduce yourself in there too if you like?
Great idea! I'll go do that this evening.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll practice keeping it revved higher for most of this tank and see if there's any difference in mileage.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:55 AM   #5

While these bikes kinda sound like Harleys, they aren't Harleys....
While they do have a ton of low end pull, lugging these engines is not good for them....
The 1500/1600/1700's all love to rev....all they way to redline.
The way a harley delivers power is diff., when then Vulcans and the big Yama's came on the scene, harley had to do something because the Vulcans/Yamas were mopping the floor with them on sales, enter the 103's/110'/etc.
Rev your bike up a little, keep your plugs cleaned off (not lugging the engine), about once a month, take her out on the interstate. Your bike can easily and comfortably go to 35/45 in 1st, 60 in 2nd, 75 in 3rd, etc....you get the idea. Rev her up a little, blow out the soot! These engines have rev limiters....you'll know when you hit it, but you'll back off before that point....
They're made to compete with the HD's. Think of these bikes like this, the Harley is like a Budweiser Claidesdale, its made for low revs, think of the Vulcans/Nomads/Vaqueros/Voyagers as fairly fast marathon runners, VMax's are your Kentucky Derby ones, made for racing....
Each one has its own niche....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by DragonLady58; 06-22-2017 at 05:57 AM.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:33 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgyouresexy View Post
My riding style has always been to find the RPM that keeps the bike "quiet" and generally try to minimize the RPM.
Very common of cruiser riders, most run too low. Best thing I ever did for my engine (not to mention my ears) was to start wearing ear plugs.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:21 PM   #7

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
Best thing I ever did for my engine (not to mention my ears) was to start wearing ear plugs.
I feel you there! My used to lug my SV all the time until I started wearing ear plugs. Made it way easier to ride along at 4000 RPM and not worry about the sound. Getting some ear plugs for me and my son will help a lot.

An extension of the question? Would you say the same applies to taking off from a start? Should I not be concerned with revving up to 3-4k and then using a slow throttle release to take off? Again, I think i have this misguided notion that this is harder on the clutch... but I find myself stalling out frequently.

Thanks for tolerating my dumb questions, but truthfully I've never really talked with anyone about the "right" way to ride, so I develop this bad habits.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:35 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgyouresexy View Post
Would you say the same applies to taking off from a start? Should I not be concerned with revving up to 3-4k and then using a slow throttle release to take off?
4k is no problem for that bike. Only clutch issue you might have is a washer issue, and that is not related to how you take off or feather the clutch.

Its simple really. When in doubt, drive it like you just stole it.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:00 AM   #9

You are really right. I have to get out of the habit of running the RPMs to low. Have a new Voyager and the bike really likes to run at 3,000 RPMs in 5th gear. Dropping it into OD below 3K really does lug the engine. Thanks for the pointers.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerfred View Post
You are really right. I have to get out of the habit of running the RPMs to low. Have a new Voyager and the bike really likes to run at 3,000 RPMs in 5th gear. Dropping it into OD below 3K really does lug the engine. Thanks for the pointers.

+5 on that..... do not try to run cruise control at 70 mph in 6th unless it's ALL downhill.........

Old 06-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerfred View Post
my vaq. 'use to' hate getting put into /or just running in any gear but especially in 6 th if the rpm's were less than 28-3000, it would act kinda sluggish but...since having 'Ivans re-flash-update' (which I highly recommend), my vaq. now runs much smoother when cruising in 6 th as low as 2000 rpm (but no lower),(on a flat roadway), and will accept being smoothly/moderately accelerated without bucking or chugging...love it because as an added bonus cruising is also not as loud with the Vance and Hines which I like

Old 06-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #12

No Ivans Flash here (yet) after 3600 miles it likes 2500 rpm in the city and 2600-2700 on the freeway, Flat surface. No drastic Acceleration though. During breakin 3400 was a sweet spot then at around 2300 MILES 3000rpm was the sweet spot. Now at 3600 Miles It is at 2500rpm. That's just my 2016 Vaquero 1700 though, I can not speak for other owners. Premium 91 Octane Or Plus fuel Always.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 06-27-2017, 04:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MET-RICK View Post
my vaq. 'use to' hate getting put into /or just running in any gear but especially in 6 th if the rpm's were less than 28-3000, it would act kinda sluggish but...since having 'Ivans re-flash-update' (which I highly recommend), my vaq. now runs much smoother when cruising in 6 th as low as 2000 rpm (but no lower),(on a flat roadway), and will accept being smoothly/moderately accelerated without bucking or chugging...love it because as an added bonus cruising is also not as loud with the Vance and Hines which I like
Yeah, I've had nothing but positive results with my IVANIZED Nomad. Still, I find that the bike still has a preference for not going below a certain RPM. the next item I get for my bike will be a simple tach I can mount to my bars.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:30 AM   #14

This thread has really been weighing on my mind. I have been a member for a while but this is my first post. Why? Because I have a lot more to learn from you guys than I am able to contribute.

I just got a new 2016 Voyager in April. The manual says not to let the engine speed exceed 2,500RPM for the first 600 miles and to keep it under 3,500RPM for the first 1,000 miles. I hit 925 miles today.

Being conscientious of the manual instructions, I got pretty comfortable under the 2,500. I knew it wanted more but I stuck to that. Now that I can open it up a bit more, I feel like 3,000 is the natural shift point and keeping between 2,000 and 3,000. I had gotten pretty comfortable at that level, but now I am hearing that some guys never take it below 3,000, or effectively their 3,000 is my 2,000.

The last couple of days I have been trying that out, but it really just feels like I am stressing the engine more than running where it is comfortable. I have an highway commute and previously I found myself in OD pretty quickly. Yesterday and today I held in 5th gear and ran at 3,000RPM and was doing 70 give or take. That seemed reasonable, but my gas mileage dropped significantly.

Do I just need to follow the advice of the majority since I am awfully new to the whole thing (2 years, 2nd bike)? Or if the 2,000 min and 3,000 shift point works for me what long term damage/impact am I having on the bike?

Thanks

Old 06-28-2017, 01:36 AM   #15

Sorry about the double post.