Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-13-2017, 09:40 PM   #1

How much play in the rear pulley bearings....

Good day,
Yesterday started having a noise on my '16 Vulcan Voyager 1700. It's like a rattling sound when the bike is under heavy load in high gear. I thought it was the hitch I had left in my receiver as I just moved so I had to haul my trailer, it does rattle when no trailer is on. Removed, rode to work today but the noise was still there. I had noticed some belt squeak going through the city to get to work the last couple days as well. Tonight I thought I'd better look at it, check to make sure front pulley was still secure etc. What I did find is that I have 1/8"+ play when I rock the pulley back and forth from top to bottom or side to side and this is with the belt on. I know it is a cushion drive and there will be some slight play but 1/8" or better tells me I have failing bearings. I just thought I'd see what the gurus thought before I call the dealer as it is on warranty..

Just so no one has to ask... when the bike was only a couple days old I backed off the belt to about 10mm belt deflection and made sure wheel was aligned the best it could be. Plus I did a tire change last season and rechecked alignment and belt deflection then. I've had lots and worked on lots of belt drives so I think I know what I'm doing.... Bike only has 16,285 km or 10,178 miles.

Thoughts?
Ace.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2017, 09:58 PM   #2

Are you sure that the rattling you hear isn't the motor pinging, try running a tank of premium in it and see if that helps.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-13-2017, 11:07 PM   #3

I only run premium. I know what detonation sounds like and this isn't that, this is a noise most definitely coming from the back left side of the bike.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:12 PM   #4

I guess I should have said in my original post that the noise is coming from the rear of the bike left side.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:56 AM   #5

Hmmm.... Makes me wonder if something didn't seat right when the last tire was changed. I know it's a lot of work, but remove the rear tire, Inspect all the parts and put it back together making sure everything is correctly assembled.

I once had the plastic belt guard get bent that allowed it to hit the belt under certain situations. Sounded like the ole "card in the spokes" on a bicycle. I gave the belt guard a push to allow everything to clear and poof. My noise was gone.

Another noise I had was a Tick, Tick sound when I went through tunnels or rode against the concrete barriers. That ended up being a front transmission output bearing. I finally found it by jacking up the bike, running it in 1st gear and probing all around with a long screw driver pressed against my ear.

Good luck.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-14-2017, 08:12 AM   #6

Got to thinking - On the rear sprocket is a metal ring that holds the outside of the belt. I had that ring get pinched / bent in once. It never gave me an issue - I just bent it back so it was even all the way around.

How about belt alignment? Center, Inside edge, Outside edge of pulley?

Also - you may want to study this diagram and see if anything in the rear wheel assembly doesn't look right to you.

http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/k...ar-wheel-chain

Old 06-14-2017, 08:28 AM   #7

I'll take the wheel off tonight and make sure everything is in there properly but I'm pretty certain it is. There should not be that kind of axial play on that pulley. Alignment I believe is good, belt runs a little left on the rear pulley but hard to tell by the belt with all that axial movement on the rear pulley
Thanks.

Last edited by Ace; 06-14-2017 at 08:32 AM.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #8

mine has slight play at 35500 --- it is mounted in rubber dampers so wouldnt expect to be tight tight

Old 06-15-2017, 11:24 PM   #9

I pulled the wheel tonight and pulled the bearing from the pulley. The bearing feels fine when turning but has way too much axial play. I will be going to an industrial bearing place tomorrow to buy a good bearing. As stated my pulley had over 1/8" axial movement and that ain't right. I'll be replacing the wheel bearings as well while I'm in there.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:06 AM   #10

Did you decide against using your warranty? I am interested to see what you find but tend to agree with what you're thinking. I'm going to see if I have any play tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
I pulled the wheel tonight and pulled the bearing from the pulley. The bearing feels fine when turning but has way too much axial play. I will be going to an industrial bearing place tomorrow to buy a good bearing. As stated my pulley had over 1/8" axial movement and that ain't right. I'll be replacing the wheel bearings as well while I'm in there.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn54 View Post
Did you decide against using your warranty? I am interested to see what you find but tend to agree with what you're thinking. I'm going to see if I have any play tomorrow.
I talked to the selling dealer, they just said it's normal to have play. I said it didn't have play like that when it was new, I agree it should have a little rotational play maybe but this is side to side play! More hassle than not to try for warranty and I am losing precious riding time so I will just buy a really good heavy bearing and be done with it.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
I talked to the selling dealer, they just said it's normal to have play. I said it didn't have play like that when it was new, I agree it should have a little rotational play maybe but this is side to side play! More hassle than not to try for warranty and I am losing precious riding time so I will just buy a really good heavy bearing and be done with it.
If you can check the amount of balls or rollers in the after market bearings.

Past experience has shown me that "will fit bearings" don't mean they will give the best life time service.

The bearings in the upper side of the rear shocks is a case in point.

The OEM bearings are full of needle rollers, no plastic cage or spacer. The aftermarket bearings have a plastic cage or spacer which means fewer needle rollers and less support.

Just food for thought.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:32 PM   #13

Thanks.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #14
Advanced Member

The pulley and wheels use ball bearings with 2 non-contact seals. Since the outer race is press-fit and the inner race is stationary they need to be special internal clearance or they could seize.
Pulley bearing is 6206UUC3
Wheel bearing is 6204UUC3
Stick with brand name such as SKF, FAG, INA, etc.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
The pulley and wheels use ball bearings with 2 non-contact seals. Since the outer race is press-fit and the inner race is stationary they need to be special internal clearance or they could seize.
Pulley bearing is 6206UUC3
Wheel bearing is 6204UUC3
Stick with brand name such as SKF, FAG, INA, etc.
Yes thanks. I bought a FAG bearing yesterday for the pulley