Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-12-2017, 05:45 PM   #1
Advanced Member

K&N filter

I've been looking for a new K&N replacement filter for a thunder mfg tear drop air cleaner.
I've called K&N today and didn't really get anywhere!
Any part numbers anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2017, 08:02 AM   #2
Advanced Member

KN has a great search engine on their site to find possible matches

Old 06-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #3
Advanced Member

I'll check into that-thanks

Old 06-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #4

I think Barons makes a tear drop air cleaner that probably uses the same filter.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
Advanced Member

thats was my question when I called
they informed me every filter was different, I thought A teardrop shape filter would be the same across the board, Rather than making severl different sizes

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #6

Yeah, I looked up the Barons BAK and the filter looks skinnier. Is your filter just warn out? They're suppose to last the life of the engine they're installed in. I had the same BAK you have but found it such a PIA to clean the filter because of how the face plate attaches with nuts in the back or the mounting plate. I was also getting engine oil blown back on my header pipes because the crank case vent routes into the BAK. I couldn't get it to stop even running the oil level at the bottom mark on the dip stick. I think the intake suction was sucking oil mist into the BAK which then blew back on my header pipe. I just replaced it with a Roaring Toyz which is much easier to deal with and has far superior workmanship. It also incorporates velocity stacks which I think boosts power a bit. They provide a separate crank case vent filter that just fits to the nipple behind the front cylinder. I get no oil misting from it which supports my theory about oil being sucked into the Thunder Mfg. BAK. Wish I'd just gone with it from the beginning.

Last edited by terryd; 06-13-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:58 PM   #7
Advanced Member

long story- it is a pain in the ass, last year getting ready for a ride the special threaded bolt that holds the outer part of the air cleaner ( cap I guess you would call it ) the bolt had broken so it was very loose, in a quick fix I drilled the cap to accept a ss bolt to go all the way through. I over tightned it and it kinda crushed the filter a little bit not bad, just me being anal the outside mesh covering the media is out of its shape. it still seals good just me
I might even go the chucksters route. he's making them now

Old 06-15-2017, 10:07 AM   #8

I know they're not cheap, but I'd just scrap the thing and get a Roaring Toyz. It pained me having already spent money on the Thunder Mfg BAK but it's going to be worth it every time I clean the filter and they look really sweet against the more blacked out pieces of the Vaquero. Plus I'm not afraid Roaring Toyz will disappear on me any time soon.
Ivan's ECU reflash
Chuckster's Risers
Chuckster's Badge Plate
Chuckster's Trailer Hitch
Custom Shaped and Cut Lowers

Old 06-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
I know they're not cheap, but I'd just scrap the thing and get a Roaring Toyz. It pained me having already spent money on the Thunder Mfg BAK but it's going to be worth it every time I clean the filter and they look really sweet against the more blacked out pieces of the Vaquero. Plus I'm not afraid Roaring Toyz will disappear on me any time soon.
i know I've waisted so much money on this bike already, first ekj module, power commander, then the flash. also same with the pipes

pisses me off,